Deus Ex: Human Racist Revolution

prowler

Sony
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
But despite high praise for the overall game, there’s been a lot of discussion over whether or not the representation of certain characters in the game cross the line of political correctness, especially in regards to NPC Letitia the Trash Lady, an African American woman who speaks in what is sometimes referred to as slave-era dialect.[/p]Yes, I know

[youtube]http://youtu.be/He09JaBVZdE[/youtube]

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
She's 1 notch above retarded, homeless, and i'm pretty sure a man.
The way she speaks fits exactly what her character portrays, who cares if she has a hilarious dialect.

White people really need to stop being so fucking scared of being racist.

MegaV2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I also thought that was a bit racist the first time I've seen it, but after playing for a while I've noticed that the rest of city folk was also living in similar situations. (People living in the sewers for example).
Not racist IMO, even thought my mother is African.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awkward? Yes. Racist? No, I don't really think so. Now, if she started calling Jensen "Mastah" and talked about how she needs "Moonshine and water melons", that would be something entirely different.

D

Deleted User

I find it ironic that the only people that complain about racism, are racist's themselves.

ITS JUST A FUCKING VIDEO GAME..

Inbe4 fox news.

Lastly, at least its not another Resident Evil 5 commotion.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Alright. Tonight I was working and this black chick, and someone I assume to be her sugar daddy or pimp (though he was white), walked by an aisle I was in. (she looked to be 21 ish, he looked to be 70 ish, and they were together).
This chick was talking on a cellphone, and she talked in the EXACT same god damn dialect.
Slave era dialect my ass.

EDIT: and I was listening to her for a good 5 minutes (I swear she talked for 5 minutes straight too...) since they were looking in the aisle on the other side of the one I was in.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
prowler_ said:
[...] there’s been a lot of discussion over whether or not the representation of certain characters in the game cross the line of political correctness, [...] an African American woman who speaks in what is sometimes referred to as slave-era dialect.[/p]

...so?

Slavery happened, right?
Slaves would at times talk like that, right?

It's history. History happened. You can ignore the past but you can't remove it. It's always gonna be there. Now, this character is also living in the fucking slums, and is a homeless trash-woman. I would say that the dialect fits, as some poor, uneducated lady. Christ, stop being so fucking over-sensitive people. This is the problem with society today, people are too afraid to say anything that might offensive, and are the first to call someone out as racist when they see something that might be offensive.

I make racist jokes irl all the time. I don't do it to be hurtful, I do it because they tend to be fuckin hilarious. A black friend of mine from highschool posted a pic of himself on facebook where he had a weird smile and was staring wide eyed off to the side. I messaged him saying I was gonna photoshop it, and he was gonna hate me for it. He told me to bring it on.

A few minutes later, I upload a pic of him now staring right at a kfc bucket, and proceeded to tag him in it. He thought it was hilarious, and even went to far as to set it as his profile pic for two weeks, while he has a LOT of his (obviously black) family on facebook as well.. I didn't do it to be mean or hurtful, I did it because it was a joke, and I know this guy can take a joke when he sees one. He liked it. I didn't get any hate messages from any of his friends or family. It was a light hearted, funny thing I threw together.

Tonitonichopchop

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Think of the reverse of this. If we showed a white man from one of the Southern States with a strong accent who drank Moon Shine and had a bunch of teeth missing, should we call that racist? No. They're choosing to portray a character in a way appropriate for the situation and so I don't see why anyone should have a problem with this.

kthnxshwn

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
plasma dragon007 said:
prowler_ said:
[...] there’s been a lot of discussion over whether or not the representation of certain characters in the game cross the line of political correctness, [...] an African American woman who speaks in what is sometimes referred to as slave-era dialect.[/p]

...so?

Slavery happened, right?
Slaves would at times talk like that, right?

It's history. History happened. You can ignore the past but you can't remove it. It's always gonna be there. Now, this character is also living in the fucking slums, and is a homeless trash-woman. I would say that the dialect fits, as some poor, uneducated lady. Christ, stop being so fucking over-sensitive people. This is the problem with society today, people are too afraid to say anything that might offensive, and are the first to call someone out as racist when they see something that might be offensive.

I make racist jokes irl all the time. I don't do it to be hurtful, I do it because they tend to be fuckin hilarious. A black friend of mine from highschool posted a pic of himself on facebook where he had a weird smile and was staring wide eyed off to the side. I messaged him saying I was gonna photoshop it, and he was gonna hate me for it. He told me to bring it on.

A few minutes later, I upload a pic of him now staring right at a kfc bucket, and proceeded to tag him in it. He thought it was hilarious, and even went to far as to set it as his profile pic for two weeks, while he has a LOT of his (obviously black) family on facebook as well.. I didn't do it to be mean or hurtful, I did it because it was a joke, and I know this guy can take a joke when he sees one. He liked it. I didn't get any hate messages from any of his friends or family. It was a light hearted, funny thing I threw together.

I see your point but there's a few things wrong with this overall post:

1) History did happen, but that does;t mean it needs to be bought up or resurrected into people's memories. White people don't (for the most part) go around telling black people they can't dine in certain areas or expect them to pick their cotton anymore. I know it's not of the same vein, but certain things don't need to be remembered for whichever culture takes offense to this.
2) Your friend, I'm sue he's a great guy. However, for an African American person to avoid conflict and try and settle down with racist jokes is incredibly awkward. What is he to do if he thinks you're his friends and doesn't want to create tension between you both? Although, he did make it his profile pic, but his sensitivity towards a matter or racist jokes does not speak for the entire race.

Also, this entire thing is ridiculous. It reminds me of how Hilary Clinton was upset that San Andreas was centered around black people, yet black people from that livelihood were ecstatic that a video game of that stature could be based around them and their lives in the projects. No one cares about what happens in a video game, however, the post I commented in is tackling an entire different issue in the wrong way. I don't choose how you live your life at all, but I don't or wouldn't handle a situation like this by comparing one person's reaction to my friend's.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Devante said:
Yeah let's close this.

White guilt at its worst.
Agreed. If this kind of thing offends you, you have issues and are seeking an outlet (excuse) to impose it upon others. That's all political correctness is about. Get over it and move on.

Freedom of speech and expression of ideas. All ideas, even those of racism and homosexuality and anything else that may make you feel awkward. It's these things that teach us who we are.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
steveo1978 said:
To me it sounds like one of the characters from the cartoon "The Boondocks".
That's actually satirical humor, it's supposed to mirror how people talk in real life. The intentionally make black people stereo typically black and white people stereo typically white (barring the main characters).

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
machomuu said:
steveo1978 said:
That's actually satirical humor, it's supposed to mirror how people talk in real life. The intentionally make black people stereo typically black and white people stereo typically white (barring the main characters).

You just made me really want to watch the Boondocks.

QUOTE(buffdog @ Sep 3 2011, 10:28 AM)
wtf lock this crap plz
-----

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hells Malice said:
machomuu said:
steveo1978 said:

You just made me really want to watch the Boondocks.
You should do it. It's awesome, easily one of my favorite TV shows.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame: