Determining # of Disc Layers

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by IAM JellyBean, Oct 10, 2009.

Oct 10, 2009
  1. IAM JellyBean
    OP

Newcomer IAM JellyBean Newbie

Canada
    I finally got around to modding my Wii to use SuperDump, and it appears to work ok. My question however, is how does one determine the type of disc one is dumping? Specifically, how can I tell whether it is single layer or double layer?

TIA

IAM JellyBean

2. pepxl

Member pepxl GFX W!Z4RD

United Kingdom
    not to be exact

single layer = 4.7GB
    DL layer = 8.5GB

most wii games are sinlge layer apart from the odd 5 or so in exsistance which are DL layer games like MPT and SSBB

3. IAM JellyBean
    OP

Canada
    Perhaps I need to rephrase my question then based on your answer... I understand the sizes and can tell the difference between single and dual when they are already ripped. But SuperDump asks if the disk is single or dual before it starts the rip. So my question was how I do I know if it is single or dual before I start ripping it?

So as an example, if I have an original SSBB sitting here on my desk and an original MarioKart Wii sitting here on my desk (and I actually do own both those games and both those discs are here on my desk right now), physically looking at them doesn't appear to give any indications if they are single or dual layer. So how would I be able to tell the difference (other than a Google that may or may not return appropriate results)?

Perhaps an app for HBC that can tell the disc size / status is in order... (but way over my head to write).

IAM JellyBean

4. Sir VG

Member Sir VG GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Try a different program, like DVD Dumper. It just dumps the disc without bothering to ask for questions. I haven't tried it on dual layer discs, but it should work just fine. It dumps over WiFi (but I believe to both SD and USB HDD too).

I won't post the link on there though, since it's probably against the rules...but I'll find a way to get it to you.

5. KiiNG

Member KiiNG GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Generally, you can tell by the color of the under side of the disc. With ample light, a dual layered disc will have a gold hue while single layered discs often have a silver (sometimes blue) tint.

There's always google, though -- SSBB and MPT are the only two DL games to consider.

6. IAM JellyBean
    OP

Canada
    Thanks for the replies and advise guys.

IAM JellyBean

7. toguro_max

Member toguro_max GBAtemp Fan

Brazil
    There is another way besides the color one: When you look beneath the disc, you can see near the center akind of "bar code". If you see two bar codes, it's a dual layer disc. One, single layer.