OP
Trophies
Website
hai-san.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
ok i fucked up.

i was trying to format a laptop hard drive so it can be used in a enclosure, so i got a 44 pin to 40 pin adapter to format it with my desktop. i gave up after realizing i don't have a jumper.

anyhow, when i boot up my computer it is always stuck on detect array raid nonsense. i have a NF4 AMD64 socket 939 motherboard and am useing a rapter 10k(SATA) for my c drive and a maxtor 250gb(IDE) as my storage drive. if i unplug the 250gb it boots up.

is anyone familiar with this situation? according to my bios RAID is disabled.

azndragonguy115

OP
Trophies
Website
hai-san.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
when i went to the bios it wouldnt detect it

and the laptop drive is irrelevent. (it wont show up in an enclosure so i assume i have to format it but perhaps it the slave/master configuration)

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
when i went to the bios it wouldnt detect it

and the laptop drive is irrelevent. (it wont show up in an enclosure so i assume i have to format it but perhaps it the slave/master configuration)
My normal troubleshooting procedure here would be to first try the 250GB in another computer.
That would rule out any problem with the drive. Hope that is an option for you..
If you give me the make and model of your motherboard I will look at its BIOS settings and see what I can find out for you.

I asked about the jumper because 2.5" IDE laptop drives do not have a master/slave configuration that you can alter by jumpers.
The extra pins on the laptop drive are for some sort of communication but they are usually never plugged in.

Sometimes with certain enclosures I have been unable to detect particular laptop drives, most commonly toshiba laptop drives from HP computers.
Formatting the drive before you put it in an enclosure will NOT help the enclosure or operating system detect the drive.

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yeah, I think I'll need you to be just a little more specific as their are many lanparty NF4 chipset boards.

Try this page for a list of different models.

They may have different set ups for the BIOS and different raid controllers. It will make it easier to help you.

*edit*
I think you should certainly try it in another computer though. Will make things much more straight forward.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The drives won't be detected in the BIOS if the chipset is set to RAID mode, they'll be detected in the RAID BIOS after the main POST screen.

You need to go into your main BIOS and set both the nForce4 and also the Silicon Image chipset to IDE Mode, and disable any other RAID features you can find - this is of course if you don't want to use RAID.

If they're still not detected after this, make sure that all IDE channels are set to auto mode. (under Standard CMOS features), and make sure they are connected properly (SATA data and power cables to the drive).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users