detect the cause of lag spikes?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by zhevastian, Apr 2, 2016.

1. zhevastian
    OP

zhevastian GBAtemp Regular

Jan 9, 2016
    hi like the title says. im figuring out this for a week now , i have 4 computer connected to linksys e1200 router. everytime im playing lol and dota 2 my ping jumps from 50 to 200 and getting a packet loss of 15% then back to normal then gets high again. this is what i already tried.
    1. check the quality of my internet which has no probem.
    2 check if there is downloading in the background.
    3.format my pc
    4. check the cabling
    5. connecting solo to router.
    6.configure qos.

and last time i tried playing without any open apps and still getting lag spikes. i want to detect the cause of it so ill find the solution. so just a simple advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by zhevastian, Apr 2, 2016
  2. Blue_Mew

Blue_Mew Shiny Mew!

Oct 2, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Faraway Island
    If you could, it would be best to use ethernet.

zhevastian likes this.
  3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    "configure qos"
    QOS in general and especially on consumer stuff translates to "drop packets at random" and could well result in lag spikes as it has to retransmit things.

Anyway it could be the game, the client (does it do any kind of p2p/torrent update or server sharing), bad netcode on the game's part (doubtful for a games as popular as that), poor drivers for the network (most people do not update wired network drivers), the router (cheap routers do not do well with lots of data, even if they theoretically could handle it) or your ISP throttling things (I have not seen many do games but if your flag is accurate then I hear they love their fun and games with throttling and such in your part of the world).

If you have a VPN then try that as it will hopefully bypass any ISP stuff. Alternatively try at a friend's or an internet cafe or something.

zhevastian likes this.
  4. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    Something you can try to get more of a picture of what exactly is going on, is running ping and tracert to the IP of the game servers (or domain, but I think that would be an unrelated server). Tracert tells you how many hops the signal is making (more hops generally means more latency and higher probability of packet loss) and ping can tell you what the minimum latency you can expect and, if you keep it running for a short while, you may see exactly how many packets get lost.

Off topic, @FAST6191 , I thought QoS just gives weight/priority to handling order of packets depending on source/type (e.g. VoIP over HTTP) rather than randomly dropping packets. Of course, this could greatly depend on if it's configured with default settings (which I find do little to help anything) or if it's manually configured. I also noticed that some ISPs offer QoS on their side too, which probably complicates things further.

zhevastian likes this.
  5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    In my experience QOS on consumer stuff, and most other stuff for that matter, handles packets the same way system restore solves problems with software changes.

zhevastian likes this.
  6. Dr_Doom

Dr_Doom Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 10, 2016
    LoL does use torrenting for there updates if you have it enabled. I would just try another router.

zhevastian likes this.
  7. zhevastian
    OP

zhevastian GBAtemp Regular

Jan 9, 2016
    i think it was my isp. after checking with tracert i found so many timeouts. thank you for answering. very much appreciated.