Details on why the space for CIA installs is so small compared to total free space on SD card

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by 2haloes, Dec 18, 2015.

1. 2haloes
    OP

2haloes Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 4, 2014
    Hello everyone, I am a bit confused about installion CIA files to a 3ds. (For once, this isn't urgent)

I can do it fine but bigredmenu tells me that I don't have much space on my SD card (Installing smash confused me when it just wouldn't work). Big red menu reported that I had roughly 1.3 GB free but when I checked my SD card, it reported 8GB free. After deleting 10GB of files (I was installing a lot today), big red menu only reported 1GB more free space, is there a reason for this? I don't mind the real technical details, I'm just really confused and Google couldn't help

2. wurstpistole

wurstpistole N3DS B9S

Nov 19, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Why don't you use FBI like everybody else?

3. 2haloes
    OP

2haloes Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 4, 2014
    I was having issues with a couple of cia files and installing big red box was the recommendation that I saw. I do mainly use FBI

4. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    FBI is used to install Dev Menu and BBM

WeedZ, Tony_93, Quantumcat and 2 others like this.
  5. BothyBhoy

BothyBhoy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 27, 2015
    i only ever use bigbluemenu only used fbi at the beginning once fbi was injected into health and safety i switched to bigbluemenu it seems to give you more information as in space free on sd card and blocks free in 3ds memory......am i doing wrong? or what?

6. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    FBI had problems installing certain .cias while DevMenu/BBM works perfectly every time so that's why I wouldn't really recommend FBI anymore.

As for your problem I wouldn't know. Care to give us more details? Pictures maybe?
    Possibly a problem with the SD card? idk.

7. 2haloes
    OP

2haloes Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 4, 2014
    Here you go
    From my phone (I need to use a USB adaptor for this)

[​IMG] From my 3ds[​IMG]