Hacking Detailed G6 save description please...

fr3kazoid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
For an example, I had Animal Crossing saved on my G6. I wanted to erase my file and start from scratch but I could not find the option to do that in the game, so...

1) I opened the G6 U-DISK Manager, selected the NDS tab, highlighted Animal Crossing and pushed delete. I then wrote the rom back on the card. When I loaded up the game on the DS to play, it still had my save on there.

2) That didn't work so I went directly into the G6 "removable disk" and deleted the save files (.0 .1 and .2) I then loaded up the game on the DS and my saved game file was still there! Where is it coming from? I don't really understand how the DS or the G6 saves files.

Please show me a link to a flowchart or give me a detailed description... anything. I can find bits and pieces of how the save(s) work on the DS and G6 but nothing that is complete or in detail.
blink.gif

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What's happening is your Sram isn't being flushed properly. Everytime you are starting your cart to go back to the main menu AFTER playing a game it should say "saving etc etc" while showing you a load screen. If this auto-save feature is not turned on, you need it on....because what's going on is the saves are held in your battery powered sram right now and not being written to the nonvolatile memory.

fr3kazoid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
And my battery powered Sram is on the G6?? So If I deleted the saves (.0 .1 and .2), played another game and saved it, then went back to Animal Crossing, it would be reset as expected? I am guessing that the Sram only holds one save at a time.

When I turn on my DS/G6 it says, "Processing data...", not saving. Is that what you mean? If not, where is this auto-save feature you speak of?

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
yeah, the processing data screen should be the save screen, it's been a while since I've used my g6's. Yes if you play another game and save, I would think the save for animal crossing wouldn't be there anymore because like you said, it holds the save for 1 game @ a time, and flushes the save to the actual save files (.0 default) everytime you restart back to the menu. It looks like your m3 is having problems flushing this sram to write back to the .0 file. Try clearing the main memory of the g6 to see if it helps. Bootup in GBA mode and when the green text comes up, hit start/select/L/R (I think, it's been awhile, if not search around for the code). Then try to play and save your games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."