Destiny 2 coming to Steam, going free-to-play

Hot on the heels of Google's announcement that Destiny 2: The Collection is among the pre-order bonuses for Stadia, Bungie announced today that Destiny 2 is coming to Steam and going F2P on all platforms. 'New Light' is essentially the base version of Destiny 2 with all year one content included, this will be free. Expansions will keep their associated prices, and pre-purchasing the new expansion 'Shadowkeep' on Steam will net you all the other expansions released previously. On top of this, cross save is being added, meaning a character started on consoles will be accessible on PC, and vice versa. As a result, there will be no more content or gear exclusive to any one platform.

Destiny 2 New Light and Shadowkeep will release September 17.

Steam page

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Well. Now we know why it's the only "free" game being included for the Google Stadia launch. Lmao.
The Collection coming with Stadia does include the expansions, so that's $35 you'd be saving yourself. Whether that's worth the compromise of streaming or not is up to the individual I suppose, but this news indeed seems to take some wind out of Google's sails.

Reactions: D34DL1N3R

Delerious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This must be a result of Bungie taking it out of Activision's hands (though a bit late). Too bad Activision fucks up half the shit they touch these days.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think they gave me the game free on battle.net, just because. I never bothered to even download and install the game, lol.

Reactions: guily6669

VartioArtel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So to summarize for those unaware, here's some points:

1: Destiny 2 "New Light" is free to play for all. And for all consoles, Steam, and Stadia

2: Comes with at least all the playable zones, unlocked after doing a new D2 version of the original D1 intro mission.

3: Cross Save is a thing now.

4: ALL content is playable (except Raids? I needa recheck the vidoc) with New Light, but New Light unlocks the premium content (hard to explain this).

Reactions: Sumasuun

VartioArtel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so players who paid for destiny 2 and the dlc are getting nothing ? Seems they got being greedy from activision

Why would you expect that? Do you expect people who paid ~$150 over all of Borderlands 2's DLC is gonna receive something once The Handsome Collection came out which was cheaper? or any other GOTY edition which includes all the DLCs?

Last edited by VartioArtel,
Reactions: CallmeBerto

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Why would you expect that? Do you expect people who paid ~$150 over all of Borderlands 2's DLC is gonna receive something once The Handsome Collection came out which was cheaper? or any other GOTY edition which includes all the DLCs?
Eum actually everybody who owned the original version got the enhanced version for free. When other games went free to play they gave out free stuff to the people who already bought the game, an example would be battleborn so yeah ofcourse i expect that when you paid 60 euro for a game plus the season pass wich was 30 i think and the expansion and so forth. Why wouldn't i expect that ? They're giving out exactly NOTHING for the people who paid for their game, dlc and season pass. A simple gesture would be nice instead of nothing at all

Last edited by kumikochan,

SkittleDash

Head Nurse
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
There's also some speculation that Destiny 2 might be making it to the Switch.

X2zWW8e.jpg

At the bottom. Could be real or fake. But one can dream. lol

Reactions: Tizm

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
for some unknown reason Destiny 2 always gave me Cabbage error then kicked me out of games every 10min, makes me impossible to play :(

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte