Misc Desperately in need of a USB adapter for DS/Wii that WORKS

Rambo M

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(Before I get too ranty, please please please do not recommend a router for any reason. I have dialup at home and it's AOL which I can't get out from under of, so a router is useless, much less anything else. Using a USB adapter at other internet sources, which may or may not allow the DS in directly, is the only option i've got here.)

Ahem.

I would like to know, in very clear terms, answers one of the following, or preferably both:

1)
I have struggled mightily to make Nintendo's infamous USB Adapter work on Windows 7. Using Vista compatibility mode on the installer makes it appear to install just fine, but no matter what, the godforsaken piece of trash cannot pick up on any internet connection I try:

itsrighttheregoddamnit.png

ICS on or off, it makes no difference. I've tried messing with Windows Firewall and even turning it off altogether, that doesn't help any. I have no third party anti-virus software or any other utilites that are known to get in its' way. I've also tried having Windows bridge the internet connection and the adapter, which at first glance does the trick, but then it appears to make my connection chug to a halt. The thing just will not work. Is there some solution to this that I haven't found or am I better off going to plan B below?

2)
Failing the above (which wouldn't suprise me), I need some other USB-based solution that I can be as sure as possible will work with at least the DS. Yes, i've searched the forum and read this and the related pinned topic; unfortunately, a lot of the links in there are dead or otherwise advertising adapters that are out of production. I just want to know what will work and what I have to do to make it work, so I know what's more trouble than it's worth or not. Or, are these things just too unpredictable?

And before I forget,
hate2.gif

Halp plz?

ASkylitAngel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You don't use the USB to connect to your internet connection. You set your ds up to connect to your USB which in turn then uses your internet. But I always thought you needed broadband. I didn't think Dial Up still existed

Rambo M

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ASkylitAngel said:
But I always thought you needed broadband. I didn't think Dial Up still existed
Don't remind me
tongue.gif
My situation ain't exactly common, unless you happen to know people who live out in the sticks.

So the adapter is, normally, not supposed to go looking for an internet connection until a DS/Wii links up to it? If that's the case, I wonder what's getting in the way. Usually, it fails trying to perform the connection test with a "can't connect to the internet" or "can't find IP address" error, or something similar.

D

Deleted_171835

Rambo M said:
I have struggled mightily to make Nintendo's infamous USB Adapter work on Windows 7. Using Vista compatibility mode on the installer makes it appear to install just fine, but no matter what, the godforsaken piece of trash cannot pick up on any internet connection I try
I also have the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Adapter and have not been able to get it to work on Windows 7 no matter what I did.

It's a horrible adapter.

As for getting a different USB adapter, I can't find a single one that is confirmed to work the 3DS.

D

Deleted_171835

ASkylitAngel said:
The Nintendo USB only works on 32bit Windows 7 not 64bit
I'm running a 32-bit version of Windows 7 and still haven't got it to work.

CrisR82

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not familiar with the DS WiFi adapter so I cant help with it...but have you tried a simple ad-hoc connection using a normal WiFi card?
(connect the PC/Laptop via LAN to the router/modem, and use your WiFi card to create a ad-hoc connection between the DS and the PC/Laptop)

If you have and it failed, I would suggest you check your router's settings (if you have one). Many routers have default potection settings that block many programs (like file shaing ones fo example).

D

Deleted-236924

SoulSnatcher said:
Rambo M said:
I have struggled mightily to make Nintendo's infamous USB Adapter work on Windows 7. Using Vista compatibility mode on the installer makes it appear to install just fine, but no matter what, the godforsaken piece of trash cannot pick up on any internet connection I try
I also have the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Adapter and have not been able to get it to work on Windows 7 no matter what I did.

It's a horrible adapter.

As for getting a different USB adapter, I can't find a single one that is confirmed to work the 3DS.

So it's horrible just because you can't use it on Windows 7?

QUOTE(jcipher @ Mar 25 2011, 08:35 PM)
As far as I know, the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector only works on Windows XP/Vista.

To get it to work in Windows 7: Install Virtual PC with Windows XP Mode, enable the usb connector in Virtual PC, then install the drivers in XP.
Does this really work?

D

Deleted_171835

Pingouin7 said:
it's called reading comprehension.

I didn't say it was horrible just because I "can't use it on Windows 7". It's horrible for a number of reasons that I can't be arsed to mention. One of those reasons is that it disconnects randomly even when it does work (on Windows XP/Vista).

jcipher

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Pingouin7 said:
jcipher said:
As far as I know, the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector only works on Windows XP/Vista.

To get it to work in Windows 7: Install Virtual PC with Windows XP Mode, enable the usb connector in Virtual PC, then install the drivers in XP.
Does this really work?
I just tested on Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit and it appears to work. I changed the network adapter from Shared Networking (NAT) to my default adapter, and then restarted the OS.
I haven't tried playing with people but I remained connected for the duration of my test. It also appears XP needs to be restarted every time virtual pc is closed (click Ctrl+Alt+Del in Virtual PC, select shutdown, select restart). I haven't used a dial-up modem but if it shows up as a networking adapter, it might work.

Maybe VMware or another virtualization software would work better..

D

Deleted-236924

SoulSnatcher said:
Pingouin7 said:
it's called reading comprehension.

I didn't say it was horrible just because I "can't use it on Windows 7". It's horrible for a number of reasons that I can't be arsed to mention. One of those reasons is that it disconnects randomly even when it does work (on Windows XP/Vista).
Didn't happen for me.

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used it a couple times on Windows 7, but after I restart it messes up the ICS and it's hard to set up again.

Try using version 1.06, run as administrator, and it will likely fail. Then if windows says the program might not have installed correctly, pick reinstall using selected settings and the setup will actually load on 7. ^^

It those don't show up, which sometimes they don't, then I don't know what you could do. :/

Rambo M

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alex_32571 said:
I used it a couple times on Windows 7, but after I restart it messes up the ICS and it's hard to set up again.
This seems to to be it! Disable ICS completely, then install the drivers, but don't choose to restart. I assume this means you'd have to reinstall the drivers every time you restart the system, which is bullshit and not worth buying this thing for, but it works.

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have an Andriod Powered cell phone, try to set it up as a Wifi Hotspot, so your Wii will basically run off your phone's 3G network. I'm not sure if you have to pay extra, but if so, I think there are ROMs you can install that'll give you the ability to do so for free on a rooted phone.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    PotatoStatic @ PotatoStatic: Jesus. Someone really wants to give me speedy loans.