Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Been trying to get a phone line from BT for 3 bloody weeks now and still can't, the only other provider I can find who don't require you to already have A BT line is Tesco which is good but I need Broadband too but all broadband companies I've seen need a BT line...including Tescos for some ungodly reason.

So please if theres any Brits out there who can help than please do, my price range is really £25 and I need a download limit of at least 20GB.

God damn you Virgin for buying Telewest!

nintendofreak

Around. Shoot me a PM.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You say BT, which reminds me of this:

CAUTION, LOTS'O SWEARING

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cE1fUZVm-cA

rofl2.gif

Sorry, that probably didnt help you out...
frown.gif

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's wrong with Virgin?
Virgin require a BT line. Everyone seem to require BT line, its wrong not to have much choice, it was so much better last year but those bastards have the monopoly unfortunatly.

I tried BT again yesterday, this time saying that I would like broadband as well (which I only said to see if they would get me someone) and they spoke to me straight away! Sadly BT broadband is fucking abysmal and I've recieved the worst service from them when I had them last year. Anyway just before I completed my order I then said "oh no actually I'll just have my phone reactivated" and then they put me on hold for which I stayed on for an hour and then the phone went dead!

Looks like I'll have to wait
frown.gif

Miss you to laggy
wink.gif

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since when did Virgin require a BT line?
huh.gif
In my previous house we didn't have an active BT line and we got Virgin cable broadband installed just fine...
I dunno , my sister had Virgin without a BT line in June, I phoned them up few weeks back and they asked me for my BT phone number, when I said I didn't have one they said they couldn't connect me. Its kinda getting stressful too I've got a baby due in 3 weeks and we're having to use mobiles to ring doctors and that but we sometimes can't get signals dispite living 5 minutes away from town, I'm having to use phone boxes to contact people about work and its getting quite costly. Its also annoying having to use rom sites as my usual ways can't be done at the library.

Oh man the stress! Seriously you kids out there stay young, its crappy being in my late twenties...oh god I'm in my late twenties
cry.gif

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Someone I know has virgin media without a phone line. Though this might have something to do with them being with blue yonder before hand. You could always try giving a relatives phone number. I can't see how they can find out its not yours.

EDIT: Just giving this more thought. I've remembered years ago someone telling me the reason you need a BT line or some kind of landland is that its a quick way to do a credit check. Usually if someones in debt the phone is the first thing to be cut off. I joined virgin media last week and was shocked that they did a credit check on me. Considering they were charging me £25 to connect up and could have charge me the first month. They must do this to make sure I can afford the 12 month contract. I got fed up of all the DSL providers and their stupid 60gb monthly download limit. I'm on VM now and can download what I want at 20mb download speed. I'm not a big downloader but the way the internet is going, I want more than 60 damn gb a month.

Little

I r Little
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You only need a BT line for virgin if you aren't in a cabled area. You should check if you're in a cable area. If you are in a cable area, you can get any of their services without a BT line =)

I can't seem to find a cable package that is only broadband and phone... but you can get broadband phone and television for £30. The broadband is 2 meg with unlimited downloads.

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You only need a BT line for virgin if you aren't in a cabled area. You should check if you're in a cable area. If you are in a cable area, you can get any of their services without a BT line =)

I can't seem to find a cable package that is only broadband and phone... but you can get broadband phone and television for £30. The broadband is 2 meg with unlimited downloads.
Well I tried them again on Sunday as I know my area is a cable area, and basically needed to know why I was told that I needed a BT line and I actually got someone who knew what they were doing! Got myself a fine little package for £20 which includes unlimited phone, 2mb unlimited broadband (a bit of a step down as I'm use to 10mb but hey I need money for the baby!) and TV and I've got it free for 2 months. Quite a result really and it only took 5 minutes so tomorrow I'll be sorted!

Now me and lagman can be together again
wub.gif

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
They must do one because, well, we're on it
biggrin.gif
Admittedly we were Telewest Blueyonder customers before they got taken over, but take another look at Virgin Media's site, maybe it's just a bitch to find.

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
@haridan I feel your plight so bad dude, I hate BT with a passion. I've been offline now at home for over 6 months and it's all because of BT. I'm currently waiting for Ofcom to sort it out, BT sent me a bill for £700ish.
To cut it short they are trying to charge for option changes to put my line how it should have been when I originally signed up (I was getting 1mb instead of 8mb downstream), and when I enquired I was told I could only get that on my line even though I was previously with Bulldog.
They cut me off and since then I can't get an ISP until now, only because I've moved house and signed up in my fiance's name (just the line).
Not sure which ISP I'm going to go with next as there are only a few options here in Chester.

Rapid Dr3am

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
What's wrong with Virgin?

Virgin require a BT line. Everyone seem to require BT line, its wrong not to have much choice, it was so much better last year but those bastards have the monopoly unfortunatly.

I tried BT again yesterday, this time saying that I would like broadband as well (which I only said to see if they would get me someone) and they spoke to me straight away! Sadly BT broadband is fucking abysmal and I've recieved the worst service from them when I had them last year. Anyway just before I completed my order I then said "oh no actually I'll just have my phone reactivated" and then they put me on hold for which I stayed on for an hour and then the phone went dead!

Looks like I'll have to wait
frown.gif

Miss you to laggy
wink.gif

Virgin don't require a BT line as BT run ADSL lines and Virgin use PBX lines. They are very different.
I work for Virgin.
tongue.gif

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@haridan I feel your plight so bad dude, I hate BT with a passion. I've been offline now at home for over 6 months and it's all because of BT. I'm currently waiting for Ofcom to sort it out, BT sent me a bill for £700ish.
To cut it short they are trying to charge for option changes to put my line how it should have been when I originally signed up (I was getting 1mb instead of 8mb downstream), and when I enquired I was told I could only get that on my line even though I was previously with Bulldog.
They cut me off and since then I can't get an ISP until now, only because I've moved house and signed up in my fiance's name (just the line).
Not sure which ISP I'm going to go with next as there are only a few options here in Chester.
A guy from BT came round on Saturday to connect us
ohmy.gif
, we then had to explain to the trained chimp that we already got Virgin as we'd heard nothing from BT, despite phoning them again and again, he wasn't happy thats for sure and said we'll be charged for his call out but then we've never had an contract signed so we're not paying.

So far I'm impressed with Virgin, I love how their own Virgin Central channel works and their broadband is actually at 2mb unlike BT's 2mb which never really got passed 512! Excellent customer support, we did have a problem getting On Demand to work but they rang us back when we said we are phoning from my mobile and when they said they will ring back...they did, nd solved our problem within half an hour. Its also nice that they didn't give us a load of software (which other companies insist I install and are actually full of spyware) just plugged everything and it worked.

So at the moment I recommend Virgin, unlimited broadband, free TV and decent phone package for under £20, would cost a lot more from BT thats for sure and you don't need a BT line.

End of advert
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6rI8eXgDxd/?igsh=MWYybHY2YXoyM3I2cQ==