Homebrew DeSmuME Wii - DS Emulator for Wii in development.

overlord00

A motherfucking birdplane
Trophies
XP
Country
just a little statement... he developed the MOD and Mii... not the actual DOP-IOS, so, he took the code, and changed it slightly... what an achievement.
but seriously, it would be great to have this... he has already said it was shopped (pic)... so... not sure where this stands.
a lot of people could have written a program that looks like this, however, there is no proof of anything working... so i am skeptical.

M

myspacee

I play prof layton with my kid on TV using Wiivnc. Is funny, without DS feeling, but still fun.

Mybe one day a decent DS emulator surface, but i also think too much power is needed
for a decent emulation...

m.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
The Wii can handle N64 games pretty well thanks to the Wii64-Team. But the N64 is more powerfull than the DS, which means it could be not that hard at all to make a smoothly running DS emu on Wii. We're talking about the DS here, not the DSi

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
panmusic said:
My concern is how feasible is something like that?
I hold my breath like everyone else but I can't keep thinking myself how difficult is to achieve a working DS emulator for the Wii.After almost 2 years and we have a Beta for N64 with a lot of compatibility issues and this came from a very skilled and talented team.

N64 emulation is a notorious bitch, almost as much as the DC, even the almighty project64 isn't 100% right with many graphical defects on some games. And (on the cpu side) you only really have to emulate the arm9 chip for most games as the arm7 chip is only really used in GBA mode. I bet you could manage decent speeds while doing the 3d engine in software.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
actually, there are not emu developpers, it's a port of DSEmume so if you want to know how this would possibily run, try it on your computer first and remember the Wii is running a lot slower than any average PC.

As for now, they succeeded in making the code compiling for the Wii (which is already a big achievment) but no games appear to run (see http://code.google.com/p/desmumewii/wiki/H...se_DeSmuME_Wii)).

From what I read on the googlecode pages, they actually have very hard time trying to make this running so, even if I highly support the effort, I have my doubts they actually can do something useful with this, it would be more a task up to seriously skilled people like the guys behind Wii64, a simple "SDL port" will never run this baby fast enough.

And generallly, GUI coding is the last step, the easy stuff that you do when the rest is already working fine: putting a shiny GUI in front of everybody at that stage is a little bit weird imo.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Jacobeian said:
From what I read on the googlecode pages, they actually have very hard time trying to make this running so, even if I highly support the effort,

Moving any software to another platform can be tricky if you don't write it to be portable. Emulation is even worse because you're providing the portability to the running software, which expects very specific behaviour.

My first guess would be endian issues, but you'd have to compare debug traces from a wii and pc to know for sure.

OTOH Using a DS as a controller would be interesting.

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Let's be realistic...I won't say it's not an interesting project, but does anyone really think this is going to run well enough to play a game? Definitely not if it's a straight SDL port, probably not even if it wasn't.

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
beegee7730 said:
For all of you saying "Not enough power", look at DSONPSP.

DSONPSP runs like shit...DeSmuME uses up too much resources, I can't even get it to run smoothly on my laptop (2.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 8400M GS, admittedly not the strongest PC, but its way stronger than any Wii) and this is a port of DeSmuME basically.. so..

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would like to announce this new project of mine in the same manner as WiiDS:

wii360.jpg

If it doesn't turn out to be vaporware, WiiDS could potentially be great, I've thought for a while that DS games would play perfectly on the Wii with the Wiimote as the main controller and then classic if needed. But I have to agree that this was probably the worst way possible to announce it, as anybody can make a menu.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tueidj said:
killplaystation said:
one cannot describe, the uselessness of a screenshot of a game selection screen. It could be fake and vaporware. If you're going to post a screen (not you, but the dev), then it should be video of gameplay or something. anything but...that thing.

[...]

Just beginning development, why announce it? If it's no where near ready. To get hits on your web page? To feel famous?
You don't announce something way too early, and then complain about people wondering when it will be done. That is just an irresponsible dev.
I agree, anyone who makes a fake announcement is a jackass.
sucka got served

LxTrix

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would be cool, april fofols coming up brings up a good point. To the person who made wii360 dont be an ass and your shit looks shitty.

crwys

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eh people didn't believe in Reggie, (including me) but it came true. And an NDS emulator is very possible with the Wii (but since most Wii scene coders do not support piracy, and NDS is portable and new anyways, they won't make one), so it can be true. Just wait and see. As the United States Law:
"Innocent until proven guilty"
As the Wii scene:
"Fake until proven true"
=)

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LxTrix said:
Would be cool, april fofols coming up brings up a good point. To the person who made wii360 dont be an ass and your shit looks shitty.

Considering I only spent like 15 mins on it, it wasn't meant to be good. It was meant to illustrate how stupid it was to get so excited over a menu image.

killplaystation

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FenrirWolf said:
tueidj said:
killplaystation said:
one cannot describe, the uselessness of a screenshot of a game selection screen. It could be fake and vaporware. If you're going to post a screen (not you, but the dev), then it should be video of gameplay or something. anything but...that thing.

[...]

Just beginning development, why announce it? If it's no where near ready. To get hits on your web page? To feel famous?
You don't announce something way too early, and then complain about people wondering when it will be done. That is just an irresponsible dev.
I agree, anyone who makes a fake announcement is a jackass.
sucka got served
should i make a menu mock up?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1