desmume 0.5.0 released!

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by azoreseuropa, Dec 24, 2006.

1. azoreseuropa
    OP

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Proud to be Portuguese but I am in USA.
    http://desmume.sourceforge.net/

Remember, do not complaint if the games are slower than the previous version or anything else. Please say thank you and you are doing a good job, ok ?

Do not forgot to drop your nice messages over there to cheers them on. The next version will be better, hopefully. Now, enjoy this release! and make a screenshots if you want. HAVE FUN! GO!

2. azndragonguy115

azndragonguy115 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 24, 2005
    United States
    wonder if ouendan would work

i can imagine playing it with my tablet

and getting owned

3. BoneMonkey

BoneMonkey The cheese stash is a lie.

Banned
    Dec 9, 2006
    United States
    USA
    i could never get this emu to work on my computer but im on windows ME

i get two grey screens

but if i take a screenshot i can see the game working !

4. Jei

Jei Translator and romhacker wannabe

Oct 17, 2003
    Brazil
    Zillions of pixels far away~
    Bottom screen seems to work but top screen lacks graphics.

Even with all the slowdown, sound emulation is a pretty welcomed feature [​IMG]

5. azoreseuropa
    OP

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    care for the screenshots, anybody ? [​IMG][​IMG]

6. butaro

butaro GBAtemp Regular

Dec 10, 2006
    works for me on vista somewhat, i cant get sound working though

edit heres a screen,
    [​IMG]

7. azoreseuropa
    OP

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Cool.

Remember, this emulator doesn't emulated 3-D games. It is better for 2-D games so test and post screenshots in here for people to see and congratulation to the desmume development teams! [​IMG]

EDIT: Because I am a beta test and Shash doesn't include 3-D in it this year so...[​IMG]

8. NeroMayCry

NeroMayCry Member

Newcomer
    Dec 16, 2006
    Mm, good for the team but using a mouse will never be as natural as using the touch-screen. Still, that's quite some progress.

9. BoneMonkey

BoneMonkey The cheese stash is a lie.

Banned
    Dec 9, 2006
    United States
    USA
    anyone know why the emulator gives me two grey screens ?

10. flashermac

flashermac GBAtemp Fan

Oct 25, 2002
    sgadzookie80,

Check your display settings, video card drivers etc.

Merry xmas to everyone!

11. azoreseuropa
    OP

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Same to you and everyone! Come on, test it with 2-D games and post screenshots in here. [​IMG]

12. AMPonzi

AMPonzi GBAtemp Fan

Dec 20, 2002
    United States
    The Lost City of Atlantis
    I don't know if Windows Me is really fully supported by this emulator. It is an older operating system, and no one I really know at least still uses it. If anything, find yourself someone with Windows 2000 and install that... much more stable.

Anyway, yeah this release is certainly a great one, it's gonna be a back and forth battle between NO$GBA and DeSmuME for as long as those two are around! Hopefully we'll see much more coming up. Oh, and for those a little upset that shash's code didn't make it, well... right now most games run at 2-3 FPS with his code so while they do run, it's anything but playable. Enjoy!

13. Youkai

Youkai Demon

Jul 1, 2004
    Germany
    Germany , NRW
    Wohoo [​IMG]

Digimon World Works [​IMG] now i only need working save state and an option for at least 2x video size cuz i cannot see much with my screen resolution

(---edit--- ok save state works, just froze the emulator the first time ... no clue why)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. azoreseuropa
    OP

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    I knew this one does work. Nice screenshots, Youkai. Anybody cares for more screenshots ? Let's sharing! [​IMG]

15. AMPonzi

AMPonzi GBAtemp Fan

Dec 20, 2002
    United States
    We've been talking about 2x and possibly full-screen mode... unfortunately as you know, the nature of the DS is such that full-screen on a regular monitor would result in an ugly black frame around the emulator screens. One of us, I forget who, mentioned something about maybe just putting a Nintendo DS skin to fill that space which isn't such a bad idea. But, let me explain it this way:

Each Nintendo DS screen is 256x192 which is an aspect ratio of 4:3. So, if you were to put both screens on top of each other you'd end up with a total screen of 256x384 or 4:6 or 2:3. Now, most users use 1280x1024, 1600x1200, or some of the widescreen resolutions. Let's take 1600x1200 for this. 1600x1200 is 4:3, so that means, that 256x384 would be multiplied by a factor of 3.125 to get a total resolution of 800x1200 which fills only half the screen. The only way to fill the whole screen would be to stretch it double the size horizontally which I think you'd agree would look very shitty. Some people have those swivel monitors that can do 1200x1600, which case you could conceivably do 1067x1600 and have only a small black area. For the algebraic thinkers... a monitor whose resolution is ZxY, the maximum area usable for the Nintendo DS screen without stretching is (2/3)YxY provided that (2/3)Y

16. Deletable_Man

Deletable_Man Old Man

Nov 24, 2005
    United States
    SOUND!

17. AMPonzi

AMPonzi GBAtemp Fan

Dec 20, 2002
    United States
    Anyone know how to get a hold of Caitsith2? If anyone can do it, he can!

18. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    For what it is worth caitsith2 along with kode54 were apparently messing around with sseq2mid a little while back:
    http://d.hatena.ne.jp/loveemu/20061102/p1
    @Deletable_Man given DSF is taken (dreamcast I think) what extension do you suggest?

As for screen resolution I have two screens (insert half-assed manical cackling) but could some for of overlapping squares set apart horizontally be used at all?

19. AMPonzi

AMPonzi GBAtemp Fan

Dec 20, 2002
    United States
    Well since the pattern seems to be (SYSTEM ABBREVIATION)SF for Something Sound Format... I would think DSSF would be the most logical choice. And we were tinkering with the idea of being able to separate the two screens but that would take a lot of coding, so again, it's on the table just not high on the priority list.

20. Deletable_Man

Deletable_Man Old Man

Nov 24, 2005
    United States
    Yeah I assumed it would be DSSF as well.