Desert island meats

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by FAST6191, Jan 8, 2013.

Jan 8, 2013

Desert island meats by FAST6191 at 12:06 PM (368 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. FAST6191
    OP

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Most of you are probably familiar with the desert islands discs, games, books, films..... and I thought I would make a thread for the meats. To that end should you be trapped on a desert island and you can get a choice of a reasonable supply of a couple of types of meat what would you pick. Meat = mammals, poultry, general birds, insects, fish, reptiles...... basically if it is not a plant or a fungus it goes, no "I want a milking cow/goat/sheep" for cheese/milk/yoghurt.

I pondered it for a while and though I am a huge fan of lamb I would probably say duck with lamb relegated to second choice.

Would be vegetarians- feel free to join in anyway, for the scenario you are trapped on an island and so sustenance is a good thing to have and turning down free meat is not the best of ideas.

2. EyeZ

Member EyeZ GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    I love Lamb myself, so that would be my first choice too followed by boiled bacon (the joint, not the rashers), jeez....starting to feel hungry now.

3. The Real Jdbye

Member The Real Jdbye D:

Norway
    Beef and lamb, no doubt. I like chicken too, but those are my favorites. Don't care much for pork, bacon is awesome though.
    Edit: I would rather be trapped on a dessert island though. Mmmmm, infinite desserts... [​IMG]

4. Sterling

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States
    Beef jerky. It's just that simple, it's dry and keeps for as long as it stays that way. Chewy so it limits your intake, and it's full of protein.

5. FAST6191
    OP

pip
    United Kingdom
    Now I have been known to indulge in a bit of jerky when stateside (the stuff you guys feed to dogs is something I would have considered human edible) but you can still quite easily go way over salt limits. It might not be so bad if you are sweating it up on the hypothetical desert island though.
    Also for the sake of simplification you can assume a magic freezer that teleports new meat into it every so often.

Speaking of lamb again though I might have to wander down to the fancy butchers to see if they have some lamb jerky/biltong in the morning as I am curious now. If we are doing various types of preserved meat I had some reindeer salami once (Ikea used to do it though I had some proper stuff) and it was great.

6. Wizerzak

Member Wizerzak Because I'm a potato!

United Kingdom
    Probably duck, but so long as it's always Peking style or crispy aromatic, covered in hoisin sauce and comes with/in crispy pancakes. Mmmmmmmm:wub:

7. FAST6191
    OP

pip
    United Kingdom
    Now I am certainly partial to a bit of Peking duck but I suggest you consider your opinion after you have had one done properly on a BBQ- whole duck, lid down, reasonably low heat, many hours and watch it go crispy.

Wizerzak likes this.
  8. Wizerzak

Member Wizerzak Because I'm a potato!

United Kingdom
    Mmmmmm..... stop it..... you're making me hungry. :D

9. J-Machine

Member J-Machine Self proclaimed Pog champion

Canada
    beef because you can eat steaks raw (this is fresh killed yes?) oh and fish as the second if it is dumb enough to jump into my arms otherwise more beef.

10. Ethevion

Member Ethevion Wannabe Artist

Canada
    Beef for sure

11. astrangeone

Member astrangeone GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    Pork (nothing like fatty bacon and even pork chops). Second choice would be chicken (faster breeding and eggs - I love eggs)....

12. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    Beef. It's the most sanitary for one thing...but also pretty versatile and yummy.