Just tested it and it plays flawlessly, pretty good job there tueidj
yaywii.gif

tufkal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had to rush online and post this, I'm just so shocked.

I setup your Descent homebrew on my Wii tonight, with the full MP3 track from GOG escape MP3, plugged in the classic controller, and sat down. I was not expecting much.

I was utterly thrown on the floor. After trying Wiimote, and Wiimote+Nunchuck, I settled on Classic, remapped the analogs and firing buttons, and I flew through the first 4 levels like I was 16 again. The graphics and sound are better than they were on the PC, and the controls are responsive and accurate.

I fell back into a memory mode, remembering the levels and the exits, totally forgetting I was using a Wii. This is by far the best homebrew I have tried, and I know what I'll be doing the rest of the week (month?) haha!

Thank you so much, this is a truly insane feat of work, that deserves much recognition.

---Tufkal

P.S. I found the best control setup is:
-Classic Controller
Right Analog = Pitch & Turn (Not Inverted, Not Inverted)
Left Analog = Throttle & Slide L/R (Inverted, Inverted)
B = Bank Left
A = Bank Right
LEFT = Cycle Primary
RIGHT = Cycle Secondary
R = Fire Primary
L = Fire Seconrd
Rz = Flare
Lz = Bomb
- = Automap

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I've finally gotten around to dig up my copy of descent from under the dust. It's faster on my wii as well. (but that's saying more of my pc back then).

I also remember the controls being terrible in the game (this game was from before keyboard+mouse became standard). Kinda funny that my piloting skills haven't improved in that time. I mean...I always wondered what those hostagers must have thought. Not only are they getting rescued by a spaceship that is smaller than them, but it's piloted by someone who hits just about every wall they encounter (which accidentally caused me to find quite some secret rooms
wink.gif
).

A very good adapation, tueidj.
yaywii.gif

(note: I'm still experimenting with controls, but so far the following seems fine for me (classic controller):

Slide left: left
Slide right: right
Slide up: up
Slide down: down
Slide L/R: X1 (inverted)
Throttle: Y1 (inverted)
Turn L/R: x2
Pitch U/D: y2

Bank left: Zl
Bank right: Zr

Fire primary: A
Fire secondary: B
Cycle primary: L
Cycle secondary: R
Automap: -

This basically gives you a classic WASD-setup with the left joystick, up-down-left-right with the controller and all the turning with the right controller.)

Oh yes, and to those who might care: this application works under sneek as well.
smile.gif

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
yuyuyup said:
That's cool I'll try it, did you know Descent is/was planned for a wiiware remake ? ? ? Is that cancelled or what damn it
Yeah I was wondering about this too. Would have been better for the DSi/3DS though in my opinion.
I'm sure this homebrew version is much better though.

PPSainity

Blinded by Science
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just tried Descent Wii out. Damn fine port tueidj
yaywii.gif
!

Playing with the Wii Classic Controller is the best. I find that swapping the J1 and J2 functions works for me, as well as replacing the slide u/d with accelerate re-purposing zL and L for that. The sound is awesome using the old GUS sound patches. I've heard the GoG mp3's and I can't say they are an improvement. They sound too 60's Disco-ish to me but this could be the fact that I used to play DOS games in my youth on SB, OPML, GUS based systems, and I hate disco
wink.gif

-[]D

tueidj

I R Expert
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I didn't think the GoG MP3s were great either (I think they were recorded using an AWE32 with built in patches), but it's easier for most people to just dump the files there if they've bought it that way rather than mess around with patchsets. Plus you can replace them with other tracks if you want.

Descent2 comes with CD audio (Redbook), so I have to write code to play it from the .iso file that comes in the GoG download...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'll just pretend like I know what's going on