Denuvo claims that there is no uncrackable game, and that their goal is to preserve initial sales

06121957756l.jpg

As always, DRM continues to be a controversial subject in the realm of PC gaming. We recently saw GOG take a rather vocal stance against competitors that use DRM. Denuvo, the largest source of ire in regards to the situation, had an interview with media site gamesindustry.biz at this year's Gamescom. Elmar Fischer, the sales director at Denuvo made some statements, reflecting on the past issues that the company had in 2017, and admitting that there's really no "uncrackable" PC game in the industry, as there will always be people there to crack the DRM of games.

According to the interview, the main goal of implementing Denuvo is to secure launch sales for a given title. Even if only a small percentage of those who pirate the game would have purchased it if it wasn't cracked, Fischer says it's still worth it, in terms of sale revenue. Lucas Catranis, director of piracy management at Iredeto, Denuvo's parent company, says it's difficult to gauge how many people actually buy the games when there's no other option, as he monitors r/crackwatch to keep updated on the pirate situation.

Our goal, and it's still the goal, is to protect initial sales. Of course we would like to have it uncracked forever, but that just doesn't happen in the games industry.

It's a really tough one for us to answer straight," says Fischer. "For the games we protect, I think we have a huge impact, especially if we secure the initial sales window then we see a dramatic on the game and also the revenue when you compare it to other games that have been cracked immediately, but for the industry as a whole, it's very tough to answer.

Denuvo's effect on the industry has seen AAA games take far longer to crack as opposed to games with little to no anti-piracy protection. This isn't always the case, however, with some games like Resident Evil 7, and Final Fantasy XV being cracked near instantly after release. A positive effect could be argued for more niche games that lasted longer against cracks and managing to sell well, like Nier: Automata and Injustice 2.

:arrow: Source: Gamesindustry.biz

D

Deleted User

DRM is the justice that the piracy community deserves. DRM like Denuvo has so many downsides and we can all sympathize for customers who pay the price in full but at the same time we shouldn't be blind to the cause of it all, people who pirate games.

If there was no need for DRM then it wouldn't exist in the first place.

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
The cat and mouse game that crackers and Denuvo play is quite interesting to watch. As stated above, I feel like Denuvo should be removed once its cracked, so that the customer benefits from it, too. But the chances of that are slim, since companies pay a licensing cost to use Denuvo, and it'd look bad of them to have to remove it, from a business standpoint, I feel.

ken28

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
shameless copy of my comment on another site:
"
Or devs could just make good, complete and bug free games (well no major game bugs atleast).

The Witcher 3 showed that that works quite well But that would require serious work and just putting in drm and hoping that most people won't refund is easier
"

erikas

Trophies
XP
Country
DRM is the justice that the piracy community deserves. DRM like Denuvo has so many downsides and we can all sympathize for customers who pay the price in full but at the same time we shouldn't be blind to the cause of it all, people who pirate games.

Except pirates get the game WITHOUT DRM. Everyone else is being punished.

ken28

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

yet drm backfired more then once. still remember back with one anno game.
Legit buyers where meet with a messages telling them they cant play due overcrowded server... meanwhile the pirates had the game halfway through.... yeah a very good compromise.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, there are uncrackable games. They are the online-only games like Diablo 3 and Sim City. I mean, someone could write a custom server, but then it's not really cracking anymore, is it?

ken28

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Also, there are uncrackable games. They are the online-only games like Diablo 3 and Sim City. I mean, someone could write a custom server, but then it's not really cracking anymore, is it?
if i remember right sim city online has/had a offline crack but even then there is a superior paid crack which even somtimes is on sales called cities skyline

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if i remember right sim city online has/had a offline crack but even then there is a superior paid crack which even somtimes is on sales called cities skyline
Well, EA released an official offline patch, which is what got cracked. Diablo 3 also got a console release, so that was easily pirated too. If both games had stayed online-only though, they would have never gotten cracked.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

But that doesn't mean they should punish those who purchased the games by keeping them captive requiring Online access to play them. Accepting the fact pirates exists kinda makes their goal pointless. Enforcing DRM hasn't really made a dramatic effect b/c games are still getting cracked

Reactions: MushGuy

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I got to say they have managed quite well before Voski enter the picture. I don't know how good CPY is at cracking the latest version, but time will tell I guess?

Reactions: Subtle Demise

JoeBloggs777

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I got to say they have managed quite well before Voski enter the picture. I don't know how good CPY is at cracking the latest version, but time will tell I guess?

I'm sure if they wanted to CPY can crack it, but now with CDX releasing some older updated games it will not be long before they can crack the lastest version to.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.