Dental Delights

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by jlf278, Sep 26, 2007.

Sep 26, 2007

Dental Delights by jlf278 at 6:03 PM (1,131 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. jlf278
    OP

Newcomer jlf278 Member

United States
    My wife is entering a dental practice soon. She and her partner are looking to add some amenities to make the whole experience more comfortable and enjoyable (or less excruciating). Obviously, my first thought was to purchase a few DS lites for the waiting room. Most patients are adults, but I'm sure some would enjoy it, and certainly anyone who brings a kid.

We could attach them to secure grips with flexible arms and attach those to a few of the chairs or the wall (and have the power cords run through the arm). Now I know that's all fine and dandy, but patients won't be able to change games, since the ds lite will be securely locked in. With a few user-friendly slot 1 flash cards, the patients could have a dozen or more games to choose from and every ds lite could have the same games too.

So question is whether this is legal so long as we buy a copy of each game, or a copy of each game per ds lite? Also, opinions on whether this is worth the trouble?

2. Shinji

Member Shinji ҉҉ ҉҉

United States
    Theres that legal question again [​IMG]
    Personally, I would say just avoid it alltogether. Can you imagine how much the screens will get wasted (just check out walmart ds kiosk/demo thingys). Sure it wont be as torn up as fast, but in due time, my friend.

My fiancee is a DA at a small office and they settle for the good ol "comfortable chair, magazines, and a play area for the little ones" and nobody has complained so far. But if your goal is entertainment, try a tv tuned in to CNN in the waiting room, and an LCD tv on a swinging arm for each dental chair, its worked for this office [​IMG]

3. Wii_DS.

Banned Wii_DS. ウォリアー

United Kingdom
    Flash Carts with downloaded games (which you don't own) are illegal.

I say no way.

4. TLSpartan

Member TLSpartan Kills threads

Australia
    Do what Shinji says. Its good. Each time I go to the dentist their is always a horde of kids playing DS's anyway(including me [​IMG] )

5. superkrm

Member superkrm GBAtemp Fan

United States
    forget the ds's

put a wii in there

6. Switchy

Member Switchy GBAtemp Fan

Belgium
    Not all adults have respect for other people's property.
    I have to agree with someone who replied earlier, the screens will probably suffer A LOT.

I'm not a legal expert, but I'm guessing it's not that legal.
    In a way you're "distributing" illegal content.

What about good old-fashioned Gameboys and Tetris? [​IMG]

7. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    Yeah, put a bunch of Micros instead. Or SPs.

8. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    Screw the DS's, just buy better magazines. All they ever have in ours are lifestyle and fashion mags. The odd out-of-date music, gaming or technology one wouldn't go amiss [​IMG]

9. jgu1994

Member jgu1994 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Get playboy magazines. Jk

But i remember a dental place that had an n64 awhile back. Perhaps instead of handhelds, you should do things like gamecube and ps2 with kid friendly games. Keep them in cases like the ones at kmart and best buy etc.

10. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    Legally speaking when you buy a DS there is nothing with them in the book and so forth about business licensing as it's just a piece of hardware like a dvd player, a tv, etc. All you need to do is buy for each one the same independent game so you're not stealing and it's cool. All Nintendo cares is they sell X units and same amount of games for X units to be legit.

So don't be getting 4 DS's then 4 stupid copier kits with flashed ROMs or you could get roasted. Get 4 and install to each like Picross, Crosswords, Planet Puzzle League, Touch Golf, Wario Ware, whatever that can be done fast and easy while in the waiting area.

11. cubin'

Member cubin' GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    I really really doubt he'd get caught for illegal roms but it might not be worth risking anyway, as others have said.

Linkiboys idea was good just should get some older gameboys. Figure out which ones can take the most wear and tear

12. Mewgia

Member Mewgia drifter

United States
    Get TVs and hook one of those "112-in-one" things to each on (I've seen them in malls and such...it's a $50 box basically with about 100 games on it, comes with controllers and the box has 2-4 controller ports, it has some good games like mario and galaga, and afaik it's all legal)

13. Infinitus

Member Infinitus GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Win, though I doubt you'd find that many Game Boys nowadays.

And you won't be in the waiting room that long, so I agree with the old-fashioned waiting room, though a refreshing advancement may also be nice...

14. Mewgia

Member Mewgia drifter

United States
    The gameboys + tetris might work too [​IMG] I bet you can find them on eeeeeeebay and such places.

15. iwakura

Member iwakura HHNNNNNNGGGG

United States
    Definitely illegal.

I'd say you get 2-3 DS's on the side and get the download play sample sets. That way people can just download play and try out samples of different games on their own.