DeNA and The Pokemon Company are set to release a Pokemon smartphone game within this fiscal year

1SrHOqD.png

Continuing on the partnership with Nintendo established in 2015, DeNA will be working with The Pokemon Company to release a smartphone game. This was revealed in DeNA's fiscal year results, showcasing success for existing mobile games using Nintendo IPs, and projections for the future. Details are slim, but the briefing tells us that the app will be a "new and exciting" game based on Pokemon, with more set to be revealed later this year, and a release slated for before the end of this new fiscal year. So far, the partnership between both companies has resulted in successful titles such as Super Mario Run, Fire Emblem Heroes, Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp, and the upcoming Mario Kart Tour.

:arrow: Source

Reactions: NoNAND and Xzi

stitchxd

Trophies
Website
gnusocial.me
XP
Country
United States
Obviously we can't expect it to be on par with mainline games, but to be fair, I think Pokemon Duel is a pretty fun game by smartphone standards. So it is possible to do a good spin-off games in other genres.

I mean, if it's a paid game, it'll likely be on-par with a "main-line" game. Hopefully better than the copy-pastes in the play / apple store.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

hopefully we're getting our first pokémon hentai game

I see you are a man of culture as well.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

So far, the partnership between both companies has resulted in successful titles such as Super Mario Run, Fire Emblem Heroes, Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp, and the upcoming Mario Kart Tour.

Mario Kart hasn't been released yet, but ACPC and FEH are both really great games. If This new Poke game is anything like those, I think it will be just fine!

Reactions: guisadop

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
Honestly so much potential. Event Dungeons, More Dungeons that can be added, more pokemon etc
This would be very cool, but I'm not sure it'd be the same without Chunsoft involvement (unless, of course, they would be involved). The wording specifying it as an "exciting new game" doesn't really give me the vibes that it's going to be a new entry in any existing spinoff series, though.

GhostLatte

GBAtemp's Official Van Master™
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's with all the negativity? Always look for the bright side in things people, instead of hating on something that hasn't even beem released.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I mean, if it's a paid game, it'll likely be on-par with a "main-line" game. Hopefully better than the copy-pastes in the play / apple store.
"Paid game" when it comes to smartphones usually means $2 - $3, not $60. Super Mario Run was a paid game, after all, but I doubt you believe it's on par with Super Mario Odyssey.

stitchxd

Trophies
Website
gnusocial.me
XP
Country
United States
"Paid game" when it comes to smartphones usually means $2 - $3, not $60. Super Mario Run was a paid game, after all, but I doubt you believe it's on par with Super Mario Odyssey.

For a super mario game, it's not bad at all. I enjoyed it for the (9.99 it cost?) price and it includes more than just the mainstream game too. There are plenty of paid games that went mobile (final fantasy to name 1) that turned out very well.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
For a super mario game, it's not bad at all. I enjoyed it for the (9.99 it cost?) price and it includes more than just the mainstream game too. There are plenty of paid games that went mobile (final fantasy to name 1) that turned out very well.
Oh I'm not disputing that there are good games and time-wasters on smartphones, but they aren't good by console/PC game standards. I'm actually playing one of those town management games on Steam right now that's clearly aimed more at smartphones, and dear god is it ever painfully boring/overly passive.

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's what, about 5 or 6 mobile pokemon games now? they're all pretty fun in their own way. Hopefully this one is fun as well. I wouldn't mind another music video like we got for magikarp jump.

prectorian

Chef Kirby
Trophies
XP
Country
Vanuatu
It'd be something suitable for mobile phone (which can be anything - LOL). Very sure it'd be knee deep in micro-transactions - free 2 play app, not a mere 1 time pay overpriced full app. I bet it'd be like their "Final Fantasy Record Keeper" app, a story driven - gacha - tactical turn base game.

SwineAdam

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hopefully we're getting our first pokémon hentai game

Pocket Monsters from Nutaku. ( not in the Play Store and is only for Android. it has a PC version, and is cross-play with Android. but the PC download version is buggy and not everything works proper. )

prectorian

Chef Kirby
Trophies
XP
Country
Vanuatu
Hope not. The Super Mario Run model is the way to go. Pay once, get everything. No annoyance, doesn't feel like a cheap cash grab.

Super Mario Run was released under the Nintendo publisher name in the app store. DeNA's most recent game released to the app store is 'Attack on Titan Tactics' - which is somewhat similar to their previous release 'Final Fantasy Record Keeper' ;

For a game developer, a genre like the above gives a much bigger chance for constantly making money than a one time pay game. As a potential user, I'm like everyone else, am not keen on them going in this direction and would prefer them making the RPG version, but it makes sense if I were in their shoes.

prectorian

Chef Kirby
Trophies
XP
Country
Vanuatu
All of the games stemming from the DeNA + Nintendo partnership are published by Nintendo. The list is in OP.
Ah yes, thanks for pointing it out, I didn't see that. But I noticed something from that source. Fire Emblem Heroes, that's a turn base game they developed as well - which is a huge hit with over 5 million downloads. Followed by their Final Fantasy Record Keeper with over 1 million downloads. Their less than a month old Attack on Titan Tactics has accumulated around 100.000 downloads so far in Japan. I know they develop various other genres, some are even side scrolling, but those aren't as popular at least none that has caught my attention.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse