Dell XPS 13 Kaby-Lake or HP Spectre x360 13?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by SomeGamer, Aug 3, 2017.

1. SomeGamer
    OP

SomeGamer GBAtemp Guru

Dec 19, 2014
    Hungary
    Title says it all. These two are really close performance wise and not cheap at all so I'd like to make the best purchase. Anything that helps me decide is welcome! :P

2. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Proud to be Portuguese but I am in USA.
    If you are talking about desktop ... Just get Dell. If you are talking about laptop then HP because it has a better long time battery but still get DELL anyway. Since battery doesn't mean anything. Dell is better than HP, really.

SomeGamer likes this.
  3. SomeGamer
    OP

SomeGamer GBAtemp Guru

Dec 19, 2014
    Hungary
    Wait what? Talking about laptop BTW, so go Dell in a nutshell?

azoreseuropa likes this.
  4. azoreseuropa

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Yeah.. just go Dell in a nutshell. :D

I was a long time Dell user (Desktop, that is) before and it was awesome. My brother had a HP (laptop) and was very disappointment with it. So he moved to another brand name of laptop and is happy with it today ever. I advised him and he wasn't listen but now he is. :)

5. Youkai

Youkai Demon

Jul 1, 2004
    Germany
    Germany , NRW
    If you would post each ones specs ppl would not have to search both of them and could help you much better.

6. azoreseuropa

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    You are right about specs but it doesn't matter what specs for HP. I know that Dell is better than HP. My brother had a powerful HP laptop before and it was miserable for him. HP really sucks.. big time!

7. Youkai

Youkai Demon

Jul 1, 2004
    Germany
    Germany , NRW
    Hmm well we use HP Notebooks at our Company because they felt like they were high quality but actually many are slightly angry with them beeing so bad thats true XD no idea about dell though

azoreseuropa likes this.
  8. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    I..personally wouldn't recommend Dell, at all, given notoriety, but to each their own. HP, Lenovo, Acer, Asus or comparable would be better IMO.

9. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    I would go with an Asus prebuilt, or a custom rig. Just my two cents.

10. shredrdie

shredrdie GBAtemp Regular

Jun 24, 2010
    United States
    US
    if your in the market for a powerful ultra book both the xps 13 and razer blade stealth are pretty viable options. Not so sure about the spectre because of too many bad experiences with HP. Personaly I just bought myself a razer blade stealth (13.3" version to be precise) and am very happy with it! its sexy, sexy, fast, and sexy but in the end to each their own.

11. rileysrjay

rileysrjay GBAtemp's best looking speedster!

Apr 2, 2016
    United States
    Central City
    Just a word of advice in general for buying a PC or laptop prebuilt, but I personally prefer buying any new computer from the Microsoft store of all places. Why? Because of their signature edition machines (I think that's what they're called) that come with only windows installed and don't have any of the bloatware from the manufacturer.

12. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Custom rig is typically the best, and often cheaper in the long run (better priced hardware for the most part). That's what I've been doing with rigs for years.

13. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    I first built my first rig in 2003, after getting a job at a PC repair shop. (After seeing how his business was run for 3 months, I didn't like ripping people off like he did, so I quit and I've been providing cheap freelance PC repair since then.)

14. azoreseuropa

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    I don't know your experience with Dell in the past. I had a long time Dell user then Asus and now Mac. Never had a problem with Dell before. I purchased it with my custom build. A custom build is better than just buy it like in Wal mart is a no no unless you are just a beginner then that's fine.

ASUS is good but he asked about Dell or HP, that's why. I am trying to give him my experienced with those two before.

Anyway, HP and Lenovo sucks. I know because I had one before I got Dell later and I advice my brother not to and my brother had HP too and he realized it and hate it. My friend had Lenovo and it was not great either. Acer was horrible. I hate Acer. That's why I am looking at computers technology very carefully. Lenovo and HP are highly NOT RECOMMEND at all. Dell was the best experienced I ever had after I had HP when I was in 20's before I moved to Dell and was very happy with Dell. Then I had ASUS few years ago and it was great computer too. Now, I am a Mac user. That's why I know what I am looking for so I don't waste my money for worthless computers like HP, Lenovo, and Acer. :)

Last edited by azoreseuropa, Aug 4, 2017
  15. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    That's what I get for voicing my opinion from my experience, oh well. I'll keep my mouth shut on the manner, not like my opinion matters. I worked in a Dell tech support call center, have a Lenovo laptop for six years, never had a single issue, but yeah, none of that really matters though, it seems. But yeah, you're right, I should redact my opinion fully.

Last edited by the_randomizer, Aug 4, 2017
    azoreseuropa likes this.
  16. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    If you want a YouTube channel that reviews a bunch of laptops like these, look up Dave 2D.

17. azoreseuropa

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Wow, you worked in a Dell tech support call center, huh ? Neat!

18. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    And that's why I know why Dell is by no means the best brand, popular, yes, but hardly reliable compared to other brands. But again, I was wrong to voice my opinion on the matter.

19. azoreseuropa

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    That's alright. I understand. You are cool. No worries. :)