Hacking Deleted 9.0 FW files off SD after downgrading to 8.1, Switch will now only boot into RCM?

thewiimang

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I updated to 9.0 but had all sorts of problems so I used ChoiDujour to downgrade to 8.1 FW. Everything went smooth, until I was going through my micro SD and deleted the FW 9.0 folder (I didn't think I needed it anymore) after that I boot into RCM and it freezes at the kosmos logo. I power off the switch and it refuses to boot into OFW. I hold it down for 15 seconds and then try RCM mode and it works. I boot kosmos and it freezes at the logo. I now put fresh kosmos on my SD and deleted the old kosmos files. Now my switch will boot into RCM AND I can access kosmos again. Some of my games are saying corrupt data, but some others are working perfectly fine. I have NO idea what I did I'm guessing this happened from me deleting the FW 9.0 folder. Now I was thinking, do I go to choidujour again and redo the 8.1 update? or should I just wipe my SD and redo kosmos again from the ground up completely? Am I out of luck in booting OFW again? Thanks :)

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
How did you downgrade? Did you restore a NAND backup?

You must restore your boot files if you downgrade as well as the nand backup.

thewiimang

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How did you downgrade? Did you restore a NAND backup?

You must restore your boot files if you downgrade as well as the nand backup.
I downgraded with choidujour and the 8.1 FW files. It was running smoothly until I deleted the FW 9.0 folder, and I have a NAND backup I haven't restored yet though.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

No, you can delete the 9.0.0 firmware folder after you have updated. That can't be the reason for your issue.
really? very odd, that's the only major thing to the SD

ucef

Trophies
XP
Country
Morocco
It's not possible tu run 8.1.0 fiiwmre with 9.0 fuses,the bootloader will panic and enter rcm mode as i know !
You need tu upgarde to 9.0 with choidujour et setup a Emmumc with the 8.1.0 firmwire

Reactions: thewiimang

thewiimang

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not possible tu run 8.1.0 fiiwmre with 9.0 fuses,the bootloader will panic and enter rcm mode as i know !
You need tu upgarde to 9.0 with choidujour et setup a Emmumc with the 8.1.0 firmwire
thank you, so I upgrade and how do I set up the emummc? thank you guys again so much

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: Draxzelex and ucef

thewiimang

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should be able to boot into sysNAND 8.1.0 with hekate. 9.0.0 introduced a fuse burn, which once burned will not allow the console to boot without a custom bootloader like hekate/fusee-primary that bypasses the fuse check.
thank you guys so much, I set up my 8.1 emummc and updated to 9.0 and it now boots back into OFW also. thank you again!!!

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
really? I swear I've downgraded once before and my OFW always worked fine.

Two reasons for that

1. Some versions of the FW use the same number of fuses, so you may have downgraded to one with the same fuse count.
2. If you always boot a higher fuse count FW into RCM then it never burns them & you can downgrade to any FW that has a matching fuse count to what have actually been burnt

Last edited by smf,
Reactions: ucef and thewiimang

thewiimang

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Two reasons for that

1. Some versions of the FW use the same number of fuses, so you may have downgraded to one with the same fuse count.
2. If you always boot a higher fuse count FW into RCM then it never burns them & you can downgrade to any FW that has a matching fuse count to what have actually been burnt

thank you, I realized this time I was in RCM mode the entire time after I downgraded, I never booted to OFW, once I did it turned blank and it wouldn’t power on. Everything’s great now thanks to you guys!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: afternoon