Delete topic button

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think that anyone who creates a topic should also have the power to delete it, as simple as that. It bothers me that when I'm totally done with a stupid "Help me blahblahblah" topic and I can't delete it, I feel like I'm eating all the space!
laugh.gif
Anyone else agree? Or am I alone on this idea?

I have no idea how many times this was suggested or if I can already delete my own topic
laugh.gif

EDIT: Vote yes if you believe we should have the option to lock our own topics, or vote no if you think we shouldn't be able to lock our own topics. People brought up very good reason to why we should not be able to delete.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Don't think that's a good idea actually

The OP could delete it when there are still discussions ongoing (for whatever reason)
And it's not that hard to push report, is it?

BTW, you can "remove" your own topics in the blog section

edit: I've seen a mod somewhere that lets users remove their topics as long as there are no replies
unsure.gif

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Umm, what if I make a major mistake like I did one day and I asked for a topic deletion and it took like an hour and thirty minutes before anything got done and I had to keep responding to all the mean comments.
tongue.gif
And Ive never seen the report button sadly, but it would be weird to report myself.
laugh.gif

Antoni-YO!

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it's a good idea because I have topics of just a simple "asking a question" and once it's answered it will just sit there and take up space.

For example, I have a topic right now saying "How do I turn my Ipod Touch into a USB Hard drive." Well I'm totally done with that since I use an SD card now.
tongue.gif

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Once topics are deleted, they still take up space on the server, so that's not really a valid reason...

Other than that, if a problem is solved, other people might still find it useful later on.

@OP: You've never seen the report button on the bottom left of each post?

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tj_cool said:
Once topics are deleted, they still take up space on the server, so that's not really a valid reason...

@OP: You've never seen the report button on the bottom left of each post?

I just learned something. Sounds annoying though. Regardless I still want my first topic deleted, it bothers me to see my more noobish days following me in my old topic. When I asked for one of my topics to be deleted it got locked. XD Anyways I will just leave this topic around for a bit and see what happens. Thanks for the info/responses

EDIT: I never seen the report button, I'm blind to many obvious things. I just let it happen. Haha

J

Jackreyes

I voted yes, because I think you should have the right to, but I don't think stupid questions is a good example.
It's the sort of question that other people will learn from. If it gets deleted, even more topics asking the same thing will be made.

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
A better idea is closing your own topic because if you delete a topic:

Admins and/or mods see all the deleted posts in the cp and people MAY post the same topic again!

Removing your own topic means: ALL POSTS INCLUDED, and that means that you see in the moderator cp:(only an example)

Post deleted (username)
post deleted (username)
blah blah

So closing your own topic means to be a better idea!

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Being able to lock your Topic, yes. Being able to delete your Topic, no. People will go round deleting topics willy nilly if that happens.

I don't even think the threads should be deleted when someone asks a mod, instead it should be locked. It's annoying when thread a gets deleted, especially if you've been watching the OP make an idiot of themself.

toguro_max

Trophies
Website
toguro_max.sites.uol.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
I agree with the "Lock" idea. But totally disagree with the "delete" one.

Just imagine a bunch of 'tards creating a topic asking the solution for their, as an example, 4.3 Wii. Then they get no answer, so they just delete it and create another one, and repeat the process until the whole database is fragmented and GBATemp goes black...

Or even worse: You start a troll / flame and then you just delete your topic / post so "no one" can say your a meanie.

On the other side, locking could be nice.

Buyt i still believes that this is an Admin's job (if all the board could be handled by it's users, all the admins would be fired!).

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
toguro_max said:
I agree with the "Lock" idea. But totally disagree with the "delete" one.

Just imagine a bunch of 'tards creating a topic asking the solution for their, as an example, 4.3 Wii. Then they get no answer, so they just delete it and create another one, and repeat the process until the whole database is fragmented and GBATemp goes black...

Or even worse: You start a troll / flame and then you just delete your topic / post so "no one" can say your a meanie.

On the other side, locking could be nice.

Buyt i still believes that this is an Admin's job (if all the board could be handled by it's users, all the admins would be fired!).

That makes perfect sense, I know what you're saying. The thing is though some topics require a lock, some require a delete in my opinion. I have a old topic announcing that Line Rider 2 was dumped... How stupid is that!? No one will learn from that so I believe that could be deleted. Now a topic about hacking a Wii should be closed after resolved so others can learn from it. So maby the option to lock your own topic is better, not delete. I think if you need something deleted we should probably ask a staff member, and if we need a lock we can do so ourselves. It would also be a lot less work for moderators and then all they would have to do is mod comments and see who is flaming/trolling/asking for roms, and all that good stuff. Or of course see who made an inappropriate topic and refuses to lock it themselves. Haha

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Not a good idea, definitely. If you need something done, ask a moderator. Your suggestion only begs to be abused all the time. It's like saying you should be able to edit your posts when they have already been removed: it only asks for more problems. Mods will need to look through every locked/removed topic to see if it was actually worth locking/removing, etc. That puts even more stress on them than just people reporting their own topics (or others reporting said topic) because it has already been posted, or for other reasons.

EDIT: BTW I already look through most topics that haven't got a reply for a couple of days (at least in the sections I frequent) to see if the answer(s) has/have been given, then I ask for the topics to be locked. Simple, yet effective, and it doesn't take a lot of your time. Locking your own topic would take about the same time as asking for a lock via the report button.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
toguro_max said:
Well, admin or mods, but I agree. There's usually a reason that users have certain privileges deactivated, and I think the system as it is works. There are plenty of staff members, so if a user wants to have their thread locked or removed, they need only ask a member that has been proved responsible enough to handle the powers that have been given to them.

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
ProtoKun7 said:
toguro_max said:
Well, admin or mods, but I agree. There's usually a reason that users have certain privilieges deactivated, and I think the system as it is works. There are plenty of staff members, so if a user wants to have their thread locked or removed, they need only ask a member that has been proved responsible enough to handle the powers that have been given to them.
Not much to talk about, this is worded perfectly.

We have too many irresponsible members to let them have such "power". If everybody would be able to close their threads, that would probably create a huge mess, result in many duplicated threads etc.

To give you example, one member asks a question about problematic part in GTA, he gets answer, and closes the thread, other member has a very similar problem and can't quite solve it with posted answers, but would ask a bit more about it....if the first thread is closed, he needs to create another thread with virtually "same" question, while he could have posted in already existing one.
Threads usually don't get closed unless they are duplicated threads of already existing ones, or really pointless..Third situation is when thread author himself asks for closing if they have some reason for it.

GBAtemp has enough of staff members, and few of them are online at all times..Just use report button, and that's it!

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think the being able to lock your own thread would be better than deleting. If you delete your own thread then the information that you may have shined light upon is now gone from the public. Which means users will create more topics about problems that have already been solved but the OP deleted the original solution because they thought they were done. Deleting topics = numerous dead links. If you delete a topic and someone else already linked another user to it, you now have a dead link and end up wasting more time posting more already-answered questions. The point of a forum is being able to ask questions and look up information but that can't be done if you keep deleting information from the forum database. Again, which causes people to post new threads about already-answered questions.

This is not a good idea. Leave the power up to the mods to delete threads.

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyways, I think Ive seen enough posts that even persuaded me away from my own idea of being able to lock/delete my own thread, everything could go to hell with being able to delete/lock your own topics. This can be closed now if you would like, or you can keep it open, either way I'm gonna choose no now. Haha

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn