Hacking Discussion is deja vu dead (on new units)?

leo60228

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Correct Title (mods pls fix): deja vu is dead (on new units)

welp

EDIT: technical explanation
EDIT2: oh boy
EDIT3: only vaguely relevant but sleepmode on downgraded switches is enabled in fusee master

EXPLANATION:
Deja Vu was an exploit that enabled full code execution on 4.1.0, including on post-July Switches, and was expected to work on Mariko (the Switch hardware revision). Details were intentionally scarce. A relative newcomer committed to Hekate a commit that would "optimize dram configs." Research showed that this commit was the backbone for the downgraded sleepmode in Hekate 4.6. It was quickly discovered that Deja Vu relied on a (still-unpatched) bootrom exploit, and that exploit was in the DRAM configs. Now that it is public, Deja Vu can be fixed in the same way Fusee Gelee was.

Last edited by leo60228,

OkazakiTheOtaku

no thanks, I don't want a custom title
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I'm not sure I understand the implication of the above screenshot. Is it implying that the Hekate commit is using a Deja Vu strategy, therefore revealing how it works?

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure I understand the implication of the above screenshot. Is it implying that the Hekate commit is using a Deja Vu strategy, therefore revealing how it works?
Yeah I'm trying to figure that out too. It seems like that was a response to something else, not a declaration that Deja Vu wasn't viable anymore

leo60228

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It does work on patched Switches. That was the entire point of Deja Vu. Should I clarify this in the post (EDIT: done)? I thought that was already common knowledge.

Last edited by leo60228,

alexj9626

Trophies
XP
Country
Panama
Ok so what you are saying is that Deja Vu is now "public" (?) and because of that it would probably be pached in the Mariko units?

leo60228

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The full exploit only worked on 4.1.0, but it's primary vector is a hardware bug like Fusee Gelee.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Ok so what you are saying is that Deja Vu is now "public" (?) and because of that it would probably be pached in the Mariko units?
Yes.

Reactions: TunaKetchup

guicrith

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I looked at that commit, its just some values that where changes in some uint8_t buffers?
How is this an exploit leak?

leo60228

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I looked at that commit, its just some values that where changes in some uint8_t buffers?
How is this an exploit leak?
It's obfuscated, but the bug was in the parser for that buffer (which is in the bootrom). See the technical details.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over