Degrading laser?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Talaria, Mar 7, 2008.

Mar 7, 2008

Degrading laser? by Talaria at 8:13 PM (1,697 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. Talaria
    OP

Member Talaria ...

New Zealand
    I often here about how the backups shorten the Wii's laser when its modded. I was just wondering how quickly does the laser degrade. Like will it be ruined at the end of 1 year or 2 or who knows [​IMG]?

Thanks

2. Bob Loblaw

Member Bob Loblaw Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!

United States
    no way to know for sure. too many variables. just play it 'til it dies! and worry about it then [​IMG] replacement lasers are about the price of a game, and we know you're saving money on those [​IMG]

3. bosscolor

Member bosscolor GBAtemp Fan

France
    Yep but it seems hard to replace the laser for amators like me and lots of other people

4. light_kun

Member light_kun GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Sorry for the dumb question but what is the laser?

5. azotyp

Member azotyp GBAtemp Maniac

Poland
    Perhaps this part [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. robi

Member robi GBAtemp Regular

France
    "the laser" as in what is used to read data off the game DVDs

a chip won't affect the laser's life, technically. it would be using recordable media. However, I don't believe it will make a noticeable difference, if at all. Of course people tend to have their own opinions on the matter.

7. berlinka

Member berlinka You have sustained a lethal injury.

Netherlands
    Yeah I think so too. Wii's die left right and center. No matter what. So if your laser dies you probably won't ever know for sure if it's because of the media you're using.

Anyway I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's a waste of time which you could use on playing games [​IMG]

8. stok3d

Member stok3d Retro Gaming Inc.

Canada
    i concur. the ironic part is that nintendo stayed away from cd and dvd media for so long, and now that they've embraced it, it's causing the most of the wii's problems, whether it's the laser, an eject mechanism, or whatever.

the wii is the least reliable piece of hardware nintendo's ever released with the original nes coming in a close second (hey, at least blowing on the original carts worked most of the time) [​IMG]

9. --JoCa--

Member --JoCa-- GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    Ha!! someone also blowed the carts too!! And I thought it was just me... lol
    Laser degrading is not nice... a part like this should be very very very very expensive around here...

10. sid0101

Newcomer sid0101 Advanced Member

United States
    Dude, I think everyone blew in the carts...
    I know that my brother and I thought we came up with it for a long time, but everyone kinda figured it out at the same time.

Additionally, I thought that my brother I came up with the whole idea to put another cartridge on top of the cartridge that you were playing to get some games to work.... but I came to realize that others were doing it too.

Anyhow, as for the laser, if you guys are concerned about, im sure the less technical savvy type of person can hire some off of craigslist to repair it. go to your local craigslist city and type in wii repair. you probably will get some hit.

Good Luck.

11. Marticuno

Member Marticuno GBAtemp Regular

Norway
    I've got a question about my laser and I think it will fit in here.

When I play Metroid Prime 3, the laser is almost always toccing. Should I not worry or should I stop? If I stop, then what is the cause?

Thanks.

12. jonas7611

Newcomer jonas7611 Member

Sweden
    About laser degrading.

No two electrical components are alike.
    The laser diode and photo transistor/diode are semiconductors, and ALL semiconductors will lead more current the warmer they get, After a while (couple of 1000 hrs most likely) the surface of the laser diode will get matted, and some af the laser radiation will be reflected back into the diode and cause some heating of it , hence;let more current through it.
    The diode will gradually get more matted and cause more internal heating until the current will pass a preset value of a protective circuit that will limit the current/voltage to the laser drive and the diode will seice working. this is to protect the surounding electronics from damage incase of overcurrent.

//jonas7611, electronics engineer

13. Volkov

Member Volkov GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    You know that blowing on the cartridges is actually bad for them? The condensation in your breath would actually slightly damage the terminals. The only thing that made the games work again, was more likely the fact that you took the game out, and put it straight back in, not the blowing. In some cases though, the blowing would fix it, but would also cause more damage. You'd be better using a brush...

14. WildWon

Former Staff WildWon EXTERMINATE!

United States
    Uh... well, yeah, the condensation is bad, but back then, no one cared about that. It cleaned it out, and it worked. As well, i never had a cart stop working due to that while it was still the current system. Hell, even now if i'd have it, i'd still blow. There's nothin better than a game not working, pulling it out, making that "Faaaawifffff Faaaawifffffff" noise with your mouth in front of the cart, putting it back in, and BAM it works.