Defragmenting help!

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by coolbho3000, Dec 14, 2007.

Dec 14, 2007

Defragmenting help! by coolbho3000 at 12:03 AM (694 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. coolbho3000
    OP

Member coolbho3000 GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic

I have over 20% left free space on my hard drive. I use Diskeeper Lite. When I tell it to defragment, the program barely does anything. Most of the bar is still red (fragmented) when it finishes with the defrag.

Do I have to make even more free space or what? Please I need some insight on this. Thanks. [​IMG]

2. paul1991

Banned paul1991 Banned

United States
    Have you tried to use the built in windows app? That usually works well for me and my harddrive get very fraged.

3. coolbho3000
    OP

Member coolbho3000 GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic

Diskeeper is basically a newer version of the windows defragger. In fact, the installation replaced the Windows app.

I'm trying another program, hope it works.

4. phoood

Member phoood taking it to a whole new level.

United States
    I never defrag my HDD, only because I never have the time to set my pc aside for a whole day and I find it useless-never found my system to be more responsive or anything like that.

I constantly have less than 10GB left, most of the time it's only 2GB left...

And I can't help you, but you should check the app settings. Might find a solution.

5. nintendofreak

Member nintendofreak Around. Shoot me a PM.

United States
    I know what you mean. It looks almost the same as it did before defragging. A few days ago my computer was reaaaallly slow. After Diskeeper pro took a whack at it, smoooth [​IMG] Yes, it was still all F'ed up and red at the end, but I could notice the difference [​IMG]

6. xcalibur

Member xcalibur Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear

United Kingdom
    Use Perfect Disk 8.0
    It hass an offline defragmenting mode where it defragments system files at startup which would normally be in use.
    It also has an aggressive defragmenting mode where it FORCES the computer to defragment everything even if the effort, resources and time spent would be excessive.

7. Jiggah

Member Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Perfect Disk is probably the best defragging utility I've used. Its first run it usually better than most of the other utilities after multiple runs. I still run it back to back to make sure everything get defragged correctly. It also makes everything extremely neat when it's done.