Defragging my hard drive

updowners

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I finally chose to defrag my hard drive to improve the peformance of the computer a bit.

"about 5 hours remaining"

Damn hard drive had over half of it fragmented
mad.gif

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
You could always get a solid-state drive and not worry about fragmentation.
tongue.gif

By the way the inbuilt windows program to defragment drives sucks and does take ages to complete...

updowners

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edhel said:
You could always get a solid-state drive and not worry about fragmentation.
tongue.gif

By the way the inbuilt windows program to defragment drives sucks and does take ages to complete...

1. I'd rather have a slower, bigger capacity HDD than a fast, lower capacity hard drive. (More space for those games
wink.gif
)
2. I'm using this random program called TuneUp Utilities which can defrag my hard drive.

TheWingless

Wafuu~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I used O&O defrag since it's a pretty good defragger... but it didn't help much when my HDD is 50% fragged and doesn't have much space left(often less than a gig since I won't give up my anime watching habit). Even if I did try to defrag again, it would take over a day to do the whole HDD so 5 hours is nothing. I should reformat and reinstall instead but I don't have any space HDDs. I got this program way too late to use it on my already full drive. There a real time feature that I never got to try... so when I format, I guess I'll just reinstall this.

Enjoythered.png

Enjoy the red.
laugh.gif

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
So if I were to defrag all of my drives (which I'm not going to do), how long do you think it would take me?

rleqs7.png

@TheWingless is that drive 193 GB? You should probably upgrade if you want to keep downloading anime.

updowners

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Law said:
So if I were to defrag all of my drives (which I'm not going to do), how long do you think it would take me?

rleqs7.png

@TheWingless is that drive 193 GB? You should probably upgrade if you want to keep downloading anime.

Well mines only a 160gb hard drive partitioned to 2 parts and its taken 7 hours already >.>

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Joe88 said:
fragmenting HDD in this current age of tech is very much pointless

you wont see any performance gain
Son, fragmenting never led to a performance gain.

I would love a defragger that allowed for a possibility of me having more than one physical disk. Step one: copy everything to the other drive. Step two: copy everything back, sans fragmentation. Copying to another physical drive is much faster than moving files around on one drive, and if the drive you're defragging is as full as drives tend to be (*cough*98%*cough*), you copy half the stuff to another drive before defragging it anyhow.

updowners

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Veho said:
Joe88 said:
fragmenting HDD in this current age of tech is very much pointless

you wont see any performance gain
Son, fragmenting never led to a performance gain.

I would love a defragger that allowed for a possibility of me having more than one physical disk. Step one: copy everything to the other drive. Step two: copy everything back, sans fragmentation. Copying to another physical drive is much faster than moving files around on one drive, and if the drive you're defragging is as full as drives tend to be (*cough*98%*cough*), you copy half the stuff to another drive before defragging it anyhow.

7+ hours wasted
frown.gif

Edit: 8 hours and 22 minutes wasted and for some reason, the analysis says that the Main C: drive wasn't defragged but D; drive was :S

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
updowners said:
7+ hours wasted
frown.gif
No no no, fragmenting is bad, defragmenting it is good. I was poking fun at Joe88 (who seems to have edited his post in the meantime).

But 8 and a half hours to defrag the disk is a bit long.
unsure.gif

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm having 3 Sata drive in a RAID5 system.
RAID5 is working as Parity checking, a file is sliced in parts, each parts are located on 2 of the 3 drives. If a drive is dead, changing it with a new one allow reconstruction of the data, thus preventing data lost from a dead drive.

How is physically working the fragmentation on a raid5 ? is a given file located at the same place (TOC, and physically) on each drives ?

I've always been afraid to use O&O defrag on my raid'ed logical drives, because I don't know if it will mess the RAID parity, as the same file is maybe not physically located on the same place on each SATA, moving a cluster in a low access of the drive may destroy the parity (if O&O look for each SATA drives independently instead of a logical created RAID drive).

Has anybody tested O&O defrag with a parity RAID system ?

Or maybe defrag is unnecessary on a RAID5 drive, because all chunk of data are physically located everywhere on the drive (they have slower access than non RAID drive). This is a system working on a fragmentation system, and can't be defragged ?
I'm thinking there's no advantage at all, as the system (windows) is seeing data as "unfragmented" on the logical RAID drive, but the real data on each SATA are fragmented, the physical location of data is managed by the BIOS.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
8BitWalugi said:
.Radiant said:
or you could install linux and not worry about defragging.
tongue.gif

Why is Linux so great exactly? Or were you being sarcastic... I though Linux was outdated...

It doesn't just plop data anywhere onto the drive, it writes it in sequence.

Also, you think wrong. At this point, Windows is pretty outdated.

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
8BitWalugi said:
.Radiant said:
or you could install linux and not worry about defragging.
tongue.gif

Why is Linux so great exactly? Or were you being sarcastic... I though Linux was outdated...

i'd hardly say linux is outdated. its practically does a majority of things better than windows depending on the distro besides program compatibility. quite a few games and programs are pretty buggy or don't work at all under linux, though with the programs, there's usually alternatives though they're not as good. to be honest the only thing keeping me on windows are the games and my ipod, if wine improved compatibility with new release games and someone found a way to sync ipod touch's on linux without using a virtual machine, i'd jump on it straight away.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Yea, I've heard Linux doesn't fragment files as much because of its file system and structure.
I used to use O&O defrag until recently. I have since moved on to a program called 'MyDefrag'. It's freeware and I find it far better.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Alot of manufactures do care about older consoles they just want to whine about piracy
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I had 4.89 hfw on super slim that was great, but when I got a new hard disk I forgot where the guide was and could only find a guide for 4.90 and its resources
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I think another reason to want to update is if the hfw is at the level of the fw
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    you can sync trophies
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that's what I'm sitting on now- 4.9, and it seems fine, have had no issues at all
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I don't know if people play online or such
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My ps3 short circuited during a deep clean still salty about it after downloading 2tbs worth but SteamDeck okay with emulation still just can't run mgs4 worth shit
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea forgot bout trophies. They just silly to me. Just like the xbox achievements. Hey, to each they own tho.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It keeps players in touch with the game like a check list of things to do after they beat it
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa they ruined the gaming experience for me to be honest
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa Im not crazy about getting all of them, i feel like I have something to show for for the time put in
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa If you want to do rgh or 360 mod
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does it matter if you update your 360 or not before trying is it advisable or not
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I don't pay attention to them really. Or do I try to 100% a game. I just play till story ends/ or I get the girl!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bigonya uses his wiener to mod 360s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Going to the water park, see ya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You should update the 360 to newest dash before RGHing it yes. But not a big deal if you don't, you can install new dash/avatar updates after. It's just easier to do it auto online before, instead manual offline after.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have fun @Xdqwerty. If you see a chocolate candy bar floating in the water, don't eat it!
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O:ohnoes: Y didn't U Tell ME that ALSO? @BigOnYa :ohnoes: 🤢🤮
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Does it taste like... chicken?
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I wanted to ask you about your experience with seeing south park. Most of the people a bit younger like my younger brother and cousins that are a few younger than me that saw kids found south park funny because of the curse words, kids at school, that seemed like liking the show on a very basic level.

I could not quite have a in depth discussion of the show.

How was it for you? As an adult. What did you find the most interesting part about it. Did you relate to the parents of the kids and their situations. Was it satires, the commentary on society. The references on celebrities' and pop culture.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I remember seeing the very first episode back in the day, and have watched every episode since. I used to set my VCR to record them even, shows how long ago.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just like any comedies really, and cartoons have always been a favorite of mine. Family guy, American Dad, Futurama, Cleveland Show, Simpsons - I like them all.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    South Park is great cause they always touch on relavent issues going on today, and make something funny out of it.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: South Park is great cause they always touch on relavent issues going on today, and make...