Suggestion Dedicated Raspberry Pi section, with sub-forums for other single-board computers.

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by Jayro, May 18, 2018.

1. Jayro
    OP

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    In my opinion, we could really use a specific Raspberry Pi section, and then subforums for things like Odroid, BananaPi, OrangePi, Pine64, Rock64, Teensy, Arduino, and other single-board computers that aren't related to Raspberry Pi. Just imagine... If we had a Raspberry Pi section, think of how much more visitor traffic we could gain... That's possible Patreon support opportunity right there, meaning possibly more site revenue. Single-board computers are surging in popularity, and the current forum of "Other Systems Discussion" is just indirect and pretty outdated.

Quantumcat and elBenyo like this.
  2. Minox

Minox Thanks for the fish

Former Staff
    Aug 27, 2007
    Sweden
    I agree that single-board computers might need its own section, but I do not believe it ought to be shared with micro controllers such as Teensy and Arduino as they're not fundamentally meant to be used for the same kind of purpose.

Hking0036 likes this.
  3. Jayro
    OP

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Yeah, you're probably right. They are micro-controllers and not SBC's. My mistake.

4. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I agree with that. There is probably a large enough user base here that's interested in those boards and might already have one or several that it would warrant a section for it.

5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    It is not the first time such a notion has been floated.

I would still say we should see whether it can maintain a sticky*/megathread or two before sections get made. We are not seeing any of the more umbrella sections flooded, people are perfectly free to talk about them in the regular computing sections, not to mention once installed they run full fat operating systems anyway and if I already have to worry about the differences between 32 bit and 64 bit revisions of the same OS as well as all the others then not a lot of odds for it to be on a pi instead.

*usual thing is to make a general overview, quick faq, list of obvious links and examples of a few cool things you might not have thought of, format it all nicely and go from there. I don't know whether I would split the microcontrollers and more realised computers up at first, it would make a smaller and more readable thread and use case wise I don't tend to see people use a pi for their IO pins like I would the teensy or something (no argument it would be massive overkill but when pis are as cheap as they are then it does not matter in the face of end results, to say nothing of the things people do with pis that leave them as standalone single purpose devices).

Tom Bombadildo likes this.
  6. Minox

Minox Thanks for the fish

Former Staff
    Aug 27, 2007
    Sweden
    To be honest, from a hardware point of view it's not that huge of a difference between the two other than the fact that single-board computers tend to come with additional peripherals and larger pool of hardware resources. The main distinction to be made I believe is whether or not it runs a full dedicated operating system or if it's running directly on the chip/under some lightweight operating system.

7. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolf-husky™ Marina is best waifu

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Many moons away
    I actually like this idea. I feel like the Temp might actually help the scene out a lot more and bring together a far more diverse community. The Raspberry Pi forums are nice, but they tend to be extreme conservative when it comes down to different operating systems. It's a very Raspbian heavy forum and they aren't even keen on anything else. I know most Linux users on the Temp are very much Arch Linux users. I digress though and I would just love to see a section dedicated to single-board computers.

Last edited by Lilith Valentine, May 18, 2018
    Jayro and Uiaad like this.
  8. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Tom BombaDadlo

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    As FAST mentioned, these threads have popped up a few times, and every time we've decided against it because there's simply not enough interest in it. The PC section isn't being overrun by Pi threads, neither are any of the other sections, so there's really not a good reason to have an entire section dedicated to something that maybe gets 3-4 threads every few weeks.

A dedicated thread would be better suited, to gauge actual user interest, which could be placed in any of the PC sections we have now. If enough people post, maybe it'll be stickied, and if it starts pumping out a few dozen pages a month then maybe it's time for a separate section, but as of now it's really not needed.

Hking0036 likes this.
  9. matpower

matpower A Hero of Justice

May 5, 2012
    Brazil
    Kazamatsuri
    SBC are pretty much computers, no? It can easily be a megathread or a subsection of the current "Computer Technology and Gaming".

10. Costello

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    The general idea is good, but considering the amount of threads we would probably group all these tiny computers into a single category.
    How would you name it?

11. Dionicio3

Dionicio3 AyyMDionicio3

Feb 26, 2017
    United States
    Hollister, CA
    I'd call it something along the lines of "Micro-Computers & Controllers"