Deciphering an IR receiver

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by loco365, Apr 10, 2016.

1. loco365
    OP

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    So for Robotics class I need to use an IR receiver to take commands from a Sony TV remote. I didn't take one of the receivers home that I was using, as my prof said it was easy to rip one from any electronic device and rig it up onto my Arduino. Well, today, I wanted to do some homework, so I worked with a friend to rip one from an old StarChoice receiver (It looks like this but it's black, not silver, it seems to be a Motorols DSR550 Voom cable box), however, I need to figure out the pinout of the receiver.

This is the receiver: http://imgur.com/ZufmmfH
    I know for a fact that the white cable is the VCC (It was using a square pad on the circuit board I ripped it from), however, I'm not sure what is ground and what is signal.

Here is a (shitty) closeup of the receiver: http://imgur.com/unwWPJL
    The text under the receiver's diode is "5XM4". I can't seem to find any datasheets on it, as I don't know of any branding or whatnot. Has anyone here seen one of these ICs? I don't have any meters to test it, sadly, but I also don't want to blow my Arduino.

Last edited by loco365, Apr 10, 2016
  2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    How can you not have any multimeters? I can understand not having the suggested four but to not have one at all and play this electronics game...
    Also if you are trashing the receiver then can't you just stick a wire, battery and light together to make a continuity tester of some form? Assuming you can't just follow one of the remaining traces that is.

Oh and worth watching if you are playing with this sort of thing

Azel likes this.
  3. loco365
    OP

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    That's mostly because I only really recently started working with Arduinos and I never had the room to have a workstation for this kind of thing, although I recently moved so that's changed and I'll probably start getting equipment together. Anyway, a continuity tester would probably be my best bet (Although I really shouldn't have turned down getting a LED from my friend, I'll have to see if I can find one or something...) which I can probably start putting together tomorrow at school or test with some equipment in the school lab.
    That looks like fun. We were given a library for reading different TV remotes, but that would be fun for a personal project sometime down the road...