Decent UK holiday destinations

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by cherryduck, May 31, 2008.

May 31, 2008
  1. cherryduck
    OP

Member cherryduck GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Hey everyone, me and the missus are looking to go on holiday in 4-6 weeks time, so I'm looking for inspiration on where to go. Bearing in mind I'm 19 and she's 18 both working part time, so the budget isn't all that high. To give you an idea, a couple of years ago we spent £150 to pitch a tent in a field for a week as accommodation, then just spent most the time out and about. I'm not one for staying at a hotel and not doing anything.

So, we need somewhere with lots of activities to do during the day, and a fairly decent nightlife. NOT Skegness! I went there once and it was full of chavs and arcades, NOT my kinda holiday. So if anyone has been anywhere nice recently, with lots to do, good scenery and fairly cheap accommodation, oh and preferably a nice beach, your ideas would be greatly appreciated, cheers [​IMG]

2. tomqman

Member tomqman This Is Everyone's Fault But Mine.

United Kingdom
    cornwall, devon may be good. dont come to the isle of wight boring as fuck and full of chavs( there is some good scenery and we have very nice beaches)

3. shaunj66

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom
    I agree with tomqman. Somewhere down in or near Cornwall should be nice, the weather is generally quite good down there as long as you check before hand. Some beautiful places in the country to visit. Somewhere down near Devon. Plymouth, Lyme Regis and Weymouth might be good choices for days out.

4. Armadillo

Member Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Can always come to London , get a sample of Polish culture [​IMG]

5. darkgoth

Newcomer darkgoth Member

United Kingdom
    You can also visit West Yorkshire, but don't bring your tent because it will be either stolen or burned to the ground, although the view of the Pennine hills is great without a tent.

The east coast is normally pretty good, with the exception of Skegness, have you tried Whitby? lots to do around there, great social activities, but you may need some sort of transport to get around (good if you're a hairy biker)

York is also nice for camping and there are tons of activities, plus the night life is pretty good too.

Got to agree with the Cornwall/Devon stuff posted, I spent alot of my childhood in that part of the country, and the people are nice too.

If you want Culture, Bradford is the place of one thousand nationalities, trouble is you'll be either mugged, rapped, stabbed or kidnapped if you can't speak a language other than English. Although you will be able to get some sort of benefit payout if you know the right people ... which may pay your hospital bills.

Hope you find somewhere cool, let us know what you end up doing ...

6. Rehehelly

Member Rehehelly GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Newquay in the summer.
    Mates went there last summer and had a blast, wish I coulda gone [​IMG]

Don't come to Portsmouth.
    Although it's pretty damn cool seeing some battleships, it's full of chavs and there isn't much to do. (Minus the odd rave on a fort out at sea, but that doesn't happen too often)