Decent quality record player for a low price?

Discussion in 'Books, Music, TV & Movies' started by Subtle Demise, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Subtle Demise
    OP

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    Anyone here listen to vinyl records? I've been meaning to get into it myself, but don't know what to look for in a player. I would like to spend as little as possible because some of the albums I want can be on the pricey side (Aeroplane over the Sea; Tekno Acid Beat to name a couple). Stereo sound would be good and idk what those smaller records are called, but I want it to play those too, even with a cheap adapter.
    Edit: sorry if this is worded strangely but it's 3:30 am and I can't sleep.

Last edited by Subtle Demise, Mar 16, 2016
  2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    I got a nice tape player recently but few people want those so they are readily available. This kids seem to be back into vinyl so that is a trickier proposition.

Also cheap record player + nice vinyl is not a great combination -- it would be something for a cheapo CD player to burn through a CD but having a cheapo record player do something nasty is not unheard of then or now. Now some take this a bit far and get unicorn horn needles in a nitrogen replaced environment, or if you prefer standard audiophile nonsense. I would however strongly consider a proper parallel/linear tracking arm rather than the traditional radial arm thing. Around here that usually means some flavour of technics player but they were very popular in the UK in the 70s and 80s, a search tells me they did not go unknown stateside but I have not done audio gear buying over there to know what goes. If you want to go a bit more modern some of the low end DJ equipment does well and around here there seems to be something of a price disparity between basic (but good) DJ focused player and the fancy dual deck and mixing console thing, and as everything is phono or headphone jack in the end it is all good.

What do you rate your electronics skills as? A lot of these things are pretty simple devices when all is said and done and you might be able to fix something up for not a lot.

3. Subtle Demise
    OP

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    Not worried about the player being a little "retro" as long as it has good quality audio.

How are bass on these things? If I were to buy the LP of something like say Tekno Acid Beat, would all those analog bass lines and kicks sound just as good if not better?