[Debate] It's not stealing if it's something you need?

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
i'd call the cops and have him arrested for breaking and entering. i mean agree with you in principle but if there's a complete stranger in my livingroom who broke in yeah the cops are getting called no matter the circumstance.

Nano.

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Stealing is stealing no matter how you look at it. However, I think that the intention behind the action matters more than the action itself (。´∀`)ノ

Patxinco

Riding a Shooting Star
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
In my country, there was a woman who found a credit card in the street, she used it to get diapers and food for his baby, cause she didn't had money even for her food. She was judged, even the owner of the credit card told the judge that he understood what happened and didn't want to "present charges" (dunno if that is correct, forgive me) but still it was a stealing, and the judge had to make what he had to make. So, she was at the doors of the jail, but finally, an appellation from the King, saved her to go to jail.
I'll try to link to the history if i find it in english.

IMO: Stealing is stealing, no matter what you steal, are the laws of each country who should take in consideration everything, and act in consideration of that.

Sorry if it's not actually legible in some cases...

Edit: link, not in native english, but using google translate, couldn't find it

Last edited by Patxinco,

jDSX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Better go to my local auto dealer and take a car without paying for it. I need it for work, so I'm not stealing.
I think we live in an era where the human population continues to increase rapidly and resources are declining rapidly. then what do you expect from something like stealing from a person belongs. no theft if you live in some remote places when they belong to nature unless some rich people came and claimed that the area that you live is His. it's about power and human greed to take and exploit everything.

edit: @dimmidice
But the topic is also a discussion of ethics and given that we assume that because societies laws are the current laws that they are ethical and anyone opposing them are criminals. Did we forget again in america we live on what use to be indian land and it was raped and stolen from them. Does real ethics just forget what was unethical before and set up new standards of ethics? We as a planet keep doing crappy stuff then we set up an ethic to make us forget how unethical we really are in our past

Do we create pasts of immorality then stay in the present saying we're ethical here and the past is gone?

Last edited by jDSX,
Reactions: ComeTurismO

mashers

Stubborn ape
Trophies
XP
Country
If the question is "is it stealing if it's something you need", then the answer is obviously "yes" since the definition of stealing is to take another's property without their consent and without intending to return it. There is no accounting for the motive or need of the person who does the stealing. If the question you're actually asking is "is it wrong to steal if it's something you need", then there are so many variables that it's impossible to answer such a simplified case. It does make for an interesting debate though :)

Reactions: Games&Stuff

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I admit, I nicked food, seeing I was unable to get any due to circumstances.
Yes, it's still stealing and it's wrong!

You could also head out into the forest n pick berries.

Reactions: WeedZ

darklink801

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
All I've seen for debate in this topic has been about food and maybe they should work on their problem.
The term stealing is of course and will always stay the same, Stealing is stealing no matter what object is stolen
But if you work at a large bookstore that has theft insurance, Would you actually stop someone for stealing books for their study? These books are expensive and not everyone can afford them yet they need them to get to the point where they can actually afford them?
I'm of the opinion that when you steal you should do it from large stores that have insurance for theft. Kind of like robin hood but the thief is his own robin hood I guess

Jacklack3

( ゚ヮ゚) buddie was here
Trophies
Website
jackomix.neocities.org
XP
Country
Canada
It's still stealing. It's like if i stole the mona lisa because i "needed" it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'm of the opinion that when you steal you should do it from large stores that have insurance for theft. Kind of like robin hood but the thief is his own robin hood I guess
Thanks for giving thiefs a lil tip.

barronwaffles

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
It's theft, to think otherwise is to completely disregard the tribulations others have made (probably over generations) to be able to provide for themselves/contributing members of society and focusing entirely on your own. Narcissism and poor impulse control. Seek help from government programmes and community/religious groups that are more often then not completely willing to help people struggling in situations where they are unable to provide for themselves/their families.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    cearp @ cearp: Welcome hazbeans