Debate: Are Video Games Art?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by KingdomBlade, Apr 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Apr 13, 2011
  1. KingdomBlade
    OP

Member KingdomBlade Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)

Philippines
    Just to stir up a little debate, I made this thread.

To clarify a few points and rules:

1. Art refers to what you may call "Sublime art, great art, or high art", created by an artist, in which the viewer experiences his vision and is given emotion. There are many given definitions of art, but I will refer to this one.
    2. Video Games refer to the medium, which means that you can mention any specific game from the medium which you regard as art or not.
    3. Feel free to post any links to anything you would like.
    4. No flaming/trolling please. We've had enough threads go to that.

And for my viewpoint on the matter, here. I believe that video games have the capacity to become great or sublime art, although that has not been achieved at the time. While some may argue that works such as Shadow of the Colossus, Braid, or even Portal is art, artistic presentation does not make art. The problem that games have at the moment is the way they are used. The games have an aim to deliver fun or a pleasurable experience. There is nothing wrong with that at all, however, fun somewhat overrides the sense of emotion that some video games could possibly have.

I believe that video games have the capacity to become art, however, no game as far as I have seen has transcended the limitations and delivered an experience that transcends the sense of enjoyment that they deliver. I may sense that this it is difficult to deliver this, due to the nature of games. Games create a non-linear experience and create a goal in which the player roots for himself, and it is difficult to experience the vision of the artist when you are the one that controls his work. However, this might still be achievable.

The nature of the argument is quite similar to the question as to weather sports or board games (most especially chess) may be considered a form of high art. I am unsure of these two, but I do consider "watching" the game an experience that can be considered as art.

Only time will tell if a video game has the guts to create a true artistic experience.

My viewpoint.

2. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    Yes. /end debate

And your definition of art is kind of skewed. Art is what one makes of it.
    If I get a hot naked chick riding a badass dragon who's cutting an ogre in half whilst breathing flames amongst a cloudy backdrop airbrushed on a van, it's art. It'll never be shown in The Louvre, but it's still art.

3. KingdomBlade
    OP

Philippines
    The definition of goodness is skewed. Goodness is what one makes of it.
    I can say that a massacre of people is good thing. No one will agree with me, but it's still good for someone.

I'm not defining art as anything, I'm talking about "great art", as believed by the standards of society. For example, in the normal standards, Mona Lisa is great art, while stick figures I drew in my notebook is art, but no one in their right mind would consider it great.

4. Nathan Drake

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    Once again, you're throwing it up to the standards. We are just led to believe the Mona Lisa is "great art" because it's in the Louvre. I've seen things considered art, especially modern art, that I couldn't believe was in an exhibit. Video games are fucking masterpieces compared to a lot of art I've seen.

5. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    That's completely different and I'm not even going to dignify it with a response.

6. KingdomBlade
    OP

Philippines
    I think that video games are an art. I never really thought it wasn't, but the level of craft and depth that the best video games have is not yet comparable to the greatest in the other mediums, due to the focus of current video games on freedom and loses depth and power in it's message along the way. However, video games have the capability to become comparable to such greats, if a game tries to remove itself from the niche that people have set upon the medium, which is enjoyment and nothing else.

7. Nathan Drake

Antarctica
    I give you, Flower:

[youtube]RUC2tpY5gb4[/youtube]

8. Forstride

Member Forstride The rudder moves when I turn the wheel

United States
    Personally, I think video games are art. Anything you put your creativity into is art to me. But hey, to each his own.

9. Vigilante

Member Vigilante TempLurker

Philippines
    Why need to be debate?
    It sounds as simple as a question.

10. KingdomBlade
    OP

Philippines
    What is with your resentment to debates?

11. Nathan Drake

Antarctica
    Flower has proved the question though: video games can be, and are art. Flower just takes the art to an extreme to display the beauty of what can be done. I feel like this is less a debate about if video games are art, and more a debate to convince you that this isn't really a debate topic.

12. KingdomBlade
    OP

Philippines
    Sometimes, other people may define video games to not be art, perhaps if someone with that opinion walked in here, it would be a debate. There are plenty of them, although I may have made a mistake of placing it in this forum since this is a gaming forum after all. It stops being a debate when everyone is on the same side. XD

[​IMG]

13. Vigilante

Member Vigilante TempLurker

Philippines
    @Kingdomblade:
    Simple because its not really good making things complicated.
    Why do something the more complicated way other than just doing the simpler but legal way.

14. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    Considering the visuals of a videogame are made by artists...yeah, they're an artform.
    All of 'em.

15. KingdomBlade
    OP

Philippines
    Sometimes, complication is good. It stimulates the mind much more.

And what do you mean by legal? When was complication illegal? XD

16. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    For all I'm concern most all games are good art. Games are subjective just as art just as cartoons just as anime.

Mario, Zelda, Paper Mario, God of war, Prince of Persia,No More heroes,Mad World...

17. KingdomBlade
    OP

Philippines
    Perhaps I may have made an error on my part. Asking this on a video game forum, you're bound to get the same response and it becomes a question instead. Closing this. [​IMG]

18. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    Asking this anywhere there is intelligence would get the same answer.
    It's not a debatable topic.

Your only error was thinking this was a debatable topic, don't be so surprised.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.