tempBOT

The GBAtemp Robot
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
DealExtreme no longer sells flashcards

dx.png

Well, users on a small budget will have to find a new way to get a flashcard since DealExtreme no longer sells any flashcards.

Early in 2010 DealExtreme was told by PayPal (unconfirmed) to stop all sales of flashcards, due to legal issues. DealExtreme did comply and removed most flashcards from product pages (items like the iPlayer were missed at first, but all were removed later). DealExtreme simply says it was because of of DMCA issues.

Legal issues on flashcards has always been a sticky issue, even more now since most DSi compatible flashcards contain copyrighted code from Nintendo.

Currently PayPal has not told any other flashcard retails to stop sales. Only time will tell if other shops are forced to remove flashcards because of copyright laws.

Before (last confirmed to work on March 20th by Wanderer509) you could use a little trick to directly add flashcards to the cart, but DealExtreme has now fully removed them. Many users reported that this trick worked.
Contributed by Arctic

Dangy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man, I ordered mine on March 15th, and this is what the status says:

1 01888 Drop Shipment and Gift Service (Removes DX logo from package) x 1 Ready $0.01 -
1 18728 Acekard 2i AK2i Multimedia SDHC TF Cart for DSi/NDSi/DS Lite x 1 Ready $12.97 -

EyeZ

Trophies
XP
I fail to see that this is all due to Paypal, as there are alternative methods of payment.

playallday

Group: GBAtemp Ghost
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Shorkio said:
They still sells one flashcart
Haha, I guess they didn't look in the GBA area.
tongue.gif
But it'll get removed soon.

QUOTE(Jackthelad @ Mar 23 2010, 01:27 PM) I fail to see that this is all due to Paypal, as there are alternative methods of payment.
Well, that's what I remember reading awhile ago here. I can't find a source now so I just left it as unconfirmed.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
all i hear these days is the question, "is it cheap?" that is the whole problem. my first gba linker cost me $145 dollars over 10 years ago. it has just enough space to hold 2 games and a very small compilation of pocketnes. its over 10 yrs old and it still works perfectly. its constructed with quality materials. it is still using the original sram battery.

when linkers got clean rom drag/drop the prices started to fall, what followed where cheap cards build to be thrown away.

with cheap prices came cheap demand, which arguably created a need for cheaper clones. cards like the ak2i, dstt, and original r4 have all suffered because of this. think what you want but the original r4 is a great flash linker that got one thing right... it played roms with an easy to navigate GUI.

i'm happy dx is no longer selling flash linkers. they have THE WORSE CUSTOMER SUPPORT. the entire system is based around a random draw of which CSE REP. you get. if you get a good one you can get a solution quickly. if you get bad one you can take 2 months to argue, a month of stupid suggestions, then you are past the 30 days so they won't refund return shipping, and then you get to wait another month while they try to get your paypal account refunded after the 60 days. in my opinion it isn't worth it just to save $10 on a bit of plastic crap that probably won't last me 5 years of heavy use.

by the way, the image in the 1st post if funny. it wish you had used a sexy cop girl tho! =P

-another world

Trygle12

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Another World said:
all i hear these days is the question, "is it cheap?" that is the whole problem. my first gba linker cost me $145 dollars over 10 years ago. it has just enough space to hold 2 games and a very small compilation of pocketnes. its over 10 yrs old and it still works perfectly. its constructed with quality materials. it is still using the original sram battery.

when linkers got clean rom drag/drop the prices started to fall, what followed where cheap cards build to be thrown away.

with cheap prices came cheap demand, which arguably created a need for cheaper clones. cards like the ak2i, dstt, and original r4 have all suffered because of this. think what you want but the original r4 is a great flash linker that got one thing right... it played roms with an easy to navigate GUI.

i'm happy dx is no longer selling flash linkers. they have THE WORSE CUSTOMER SUPPORT. the entire system is based around a random draw of which CSE REP. you get. if you get a good one you can get a solution quickly. if you get bad one you can take 2 months to argue, a month of stupid suggestions, then you are past the 30 days so they won't refund return shipping, and then you get to wait another month while they try to get your paypal account refunded after the 60 days. in my opinion it isn't worth it just to save $10 on a bit of plastic crap that probably won't last me 5 years of heavy use.

by the way, the image in the 1st post if funny. it wish you had used a sexy cop girl tho! =P

-another world

That's True... I'm lucky too still have all my appendages from back in 04. They may have been slightly cheaper but I bought many of them.

The problem with clones arises when you are buying from a normally trustworthy re-seller in your country. Sometimes even the re-seller has no clue whether or not the cards are faked, as the technology has become far easier to copy and emulate.

The end result being some very confused customers when the compatibility hammer eventually strikes down.

DealeXtreme may have been "cheaper" but you end up paying for it with that Customer Support.
My local distributor may have better support, but sometimes even he is powerless and the most he can get me a is a refund. Which I guess may be the better situation of the two.

The original R4 was great... too bad the build was sub-par in the earlier versions. :[

Awesome work on AKAIO btw. I won't be enjoying it for a while... but it's nice to see such awesome people keeping the scene going in a sea of apathetic flashcard-developers.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yusuo said:
dont buy from dealextreme long shipping

Yeah, I ordered items (not always flash cards) from them twice. Both times everything I ordered was listed as IN STOCK. First time, took nearly 3 weeks for it to actually be IN STOCK and shipped. 2nd time, I gave up after a month of waiting and canceled the order.

D

Deleted_171835

Oh, well that's too bad, I guess. I don't use DealExtreme often, though.

Shipping speed sucks so it's not too much of a loss for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/Eu4hiUW.jpg