Hacking DealExtreme - How are the tariffs when importing to Sweden?

Mazor

Z80 master arch
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've been considering buying from DealExtreme lately, but I have no idea of how much tariff(tull) I'd have to pay. So I'm asking any Swede who has bought anything off DealExtreme how much the tariff was.

Also, if you aren't from Sweden(if you were in Sweden when you bought and recieved the item this obviously doesn't matter though) then don't reply as it won't help. For example, even if you only paid 5USD tariff in Germany that isn't in any way related to what I'd have to pay here in Sweden.

fryguy

Trophies
XP
Country
I never had to pay any custom fees for stuff bought from Deal Extreme. They always marked the packages as gift.

Tanas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've never had to pay import tax for anything I've bought from dealextreme, they've always marked my DS stuff as DS Accessories.

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
thats because your not unfortunate to live in a place that does require the reciever to pay the customs tax.

most postal systems already include the cost of imports, etc into the normal cost of sending something, others don't to keep the cost down to a minimum.

Each country has different rules for what is labeled as import, export, etc.

Mazor

Z80 master arch
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
xJonny said:
Do you mean import tax / customs charge or whatever?

I think it's rare to get it as it's marked as a gift (never got it, but to the UK though)
Yes this is what I mean. It tends to cost a lot to import to Sweden from outside the EU.

Tanas said:
I've never had to pay import tax for anything I've bought from dealextreme, they've always marked my DS stuff as DS Accessories.
Sweden is not part of the UK last I checked.

how_do_i_do_that said:
thats because your not unfortunate to live in a place that does require the reciever to pay the customs tax.

most postal systems already include the cost of imports, etc into the normal cost of sending something, others don't to keep the cost down to a minimum.

Each country has different rules for what is labeled as import, export, etc.
I'm glad you got my point.

QUOTE(fryguy @ Jun 23 2008, 12:03 AM)
I never had to pay any custom fees for stuff bought from Deal Extreme. They always marked the packages as gift.
This sounds good. How many items have you bought from them?

Tanas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Tanas said:
Sweden is not part of the UK last I checked.

And thank fuck for that...

how_do_i_do_that

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Sweden's import laws
Articles consigned as "Unsolicited Gifts" are acceptable and will be allowed entry free of any duty or VAT providing the shipment is valued at 500 Swedish Krone Approx ($68 USD).

so anything above that you would have to pay for the import if I understand it correctly. this should help you in finding out how much you would have to pay if you bought a certain amount of goods from DX or gameyeeeah.

@ Tanas: you got a problem with Sweden? personally I like the blonde ladies there.

Mazor

Z80 master arch
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
how_do_i_do_that said:
Sweden's import laws
Articles consigned as "Unsolicited Gifts" are acceptable and will be allowed entry free of any duty or VAT providing the shipment is valued at 500 Swedish Krone Approx ($68 USD).

so anything above that you would have to pay for the import if I understand it correctly. this should help you in finding out how much you would have to pay if you bought a certain amount of goods from DX or gameyeeeah.

@ Tanas: you got a problem with Sweden? personally I like the blonde ladies there.
Where did you find this? Also 500 Swedish kronor is worth over 80USD actually. I have imported a few items that costed around 50USD from the US and Japan and I have had to pay insane tariffs everytime.

Tanas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
how_do_i_do_that said:
Sweden's import laws

I dont care what you like.

Edit: I didn't notice you said said swedes only, I take back what I said.

how_do_i_do_that

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
conversion rates change due to the markets so the exact values will change constantly.

http://www.fedex.com/us/international/irc/...e.html?gtmcc=us
This is where I got it from.

The reason you probably have to pay for it is because it wasn't marked as "Unsolicited Gifts" but as game accessory or something else. it is one of those VERY specific labelings that will get you. You can have them mark the package as gift instead of accessory to avoid the import fees on your next purchase.

@ Tanas: Too bad for you with your limited views of things.

Tanas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
OK, and did admitted I didnt read the post properly, my bad.
tongue.gif

Mazor

Z80 master arch
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
how_do_i_do_that said:
conversion rates change due to the markets so the exact values will change constantly.
Obviously, however it's been quite a while since 500kr was 68USD.

how_do_i_do_that said:
http://www.fedex.com/us/international/irc/...e.html?gtmcc=us
This is where I got it from.
Credible.

QUOTE(how_do_i_do_that @ Jun 23 2008, 02:42 AM)
The reason you probably have to pay for it is because it wasn't marked as "Unsolicited Gifts" but as game accessory or something else. it is one of those VERY specific labelings that will get you. You can have them mark the package as gift instead of accessory to avoid the import fees on your next purchase.
Yes, this seems to be the case.

Thank you for your help. I'll wait to see if any more Swedes have bought off them and if they had to pay before I make my order though.

SchuchWun

Trophies
Website
videogamehackers.ca
XP
Country
Canada
fryguy said:
Well i bought from them 5-6 times. DX also has a service for $0.01 which makes them remove the DX-logo from the package, here http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1888 I never used it myself. I don't really know what "drop shipments" means though.

drop shipping basically means you don't have to do any of the shipping. DX will ship each individual order to your customers with your custom logo (the .01cents ).

perkele

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
SchuchWun said:
drop shipping basically means you don't have to do any of the shipping. DX will ship each individual order to your customers with your custom logo (the .01cents ).
DX uses a shipping label without their logo or name, they don't add your logo to the package.
And even with DX's logo removed it's easy to know where the package came from, your customers just have to 'google' the address on the package or the sku numbers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended