Dead Wii DVD Drive? (Wiikey install)

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by fishbulb, Mar 21, 2008.

Mar 21, 2008
  1. fishbulb
    OP

Newcomer fishbulb Newbie

United States
    About a year ago i installed a Wiikey and it worked perfectly without any hangups. Knowing that SSBB would not work with the modchip installed i decided to put in a switch to turn the modchip on and off. This didn't go so well and i decided to remove the modchip to make sure that it works alright. I inserted SSBB and went to the disc channel and it said "Please insert a disc" but i just inserted one and i couldn't eject it either.

I tried other things to the drive but nothing has seemed to work. However, if i take out the CMOS battery and unplug power i can turn it on, turn it off, and turn it on again and the drive reads the game and everything is fine. After i play it and go to the disc channel it can no longer read the disc.

I checked all the wires of the modchip install (i have it back in with a switch right now) with a multimeter and everything is great. I have also bridged the fuse but that did not work.

If i buy a new drive on eBay do you think all of my problems will go away? I have only modified the disc drive itself so i would think that it would fix everything but i'd rather not spend $100+.

Any other suggestions?

2. fishbulb
    OP

Newcomer fishbulb Newbie

United States
    I've heard from multiple different sources that i could send it to Nintendo and they could fix it for $82 with shipping. One person told me that he called Nintendo and told them exactly what happened and there were no problems.

That's probably a better idea than buying a drive for $130 and doing it myself, right?