Dead Cells will launch this August on consoles, gets physical release on Switch

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, May 9, 2018.

Front-page
    399c9801aadae720319aaf4ec4af8b41238656e1.

The rogue-lite Dead Cells has received its seventh content update, since its initial release in early access nearly a year ago. Citing French localization issues, this new update is titled "Baguette", and includes new challenge rooms, new powerful "legendary items", an updated UI, and regular bugfixes and balancing. Dead Cells was also revealed to be coming to the Switch, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One back in January, and now we have a approximate release date for the full release of the game: August of this year. The game will also launch with a OSx and Linux version as well.

There will also be major post-release DLC for the game, which will be free of charge. Dead Cells originally launched on Steam early access on May 10, 2017, where it has sold over 600,000 copies. A partnership with Merge Games will also result in the Nintendo Switch version getting a limited physical release.

:arrow: Source

Gameplay trailer

T-hug, damiano2712, Xzi and 2 others like this.
    Discussion (20 replies)
  1. H1B1Esquire

H1B1Esquire RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    For my lazy, but curious fellow tempers:

-----
    Had to edit the review in, because, reeeeee-asons. #YouKnowWhatYouDid.

Last edited by H1B1Esquire, May 9, 2018
  2. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    is this one of those games like flinthook where you die and need to start the game all over again but keep some power ups?

3. H1B1Esquire

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    Looks more like a Castlevania, but I wouldn't be surprised if it just looks like Castlevania. Check out the review.

4. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    Castlevania-meets-roguelite-genre. You do lose all your items when you die, but you keep any permanent stat-ups or major changes to your abilities.

5. Astral_

Astral_ GBAtemp elder

Oct 24, 2002
    France
    France
    I read the release notes posted on Steam and assumed the August release date was for the PC version, so the title may be wrong unless I missed something. Still great news for an awesome game !

6. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    I'm gonna be that guy and ask why there is no Switch version?

7. Astral_

Astral_ GBAtemp elder

Oct 24, 2002
    France
    France
    Well, there is one in the works.

DarthDub likes this.
  8. RedoLane

RedoLane GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 16, 2016
    Israel
    The release date is for the Steam version as well?
    I've been waiting for a long time for this game to be out of Early Access.

Xzi likes this.
  9. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    The Merge Games physical edition will be shipping this August, meaning the console builds of the game will be done by then!

DarthDub and Astral_ like this.
  10. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    then i will pass i really dont like rogue like games where one death is game over with exceptions of afew power ups, so its rogue mechanics are like flinthook.

Srs why do all games nowadays need to be rogue like?what hapened to normal 2d games with saving and move on?

owek1 likes this.
  11. H1B1Esquire

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    Same thing with action RPGs getting the spotlight, while traditional turn-based RPGs get the shit stick. Yes, it is sad to see our beloved genres dying to new trends, but imagine what people thought when classical music was replaced with "jazz", 70's soul with "rap", etc,. Times change, usually for the worse. Those who didn't experience ___ when you did likely can't find the same joy.

Honestly, it could be for the better. It means people like you and I need to use our collected experiences and re-hash them for the new generation.

12. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Buy it while it's cheaper in EA, you're going to need the practice anyway. Eventually the idea is to do semi-speedruns, because you can hit all the extra loot and stat-ups that way.

I bought this in its earliest phase of EA, and it was good enough to justify the price even then. Definitely gonna buy it physical again for Switch, I love this game.

Last edited by Xzi, May 10, 2018
  13. RedoLane

Sep 16, 2016
    Israel
    I don't, and will never, buy games at their Early Access state, nor if it was simply titled as a beta.

14. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    'Tis a silly rule, you just have to do a little research on individual titles/developers. Klei, for example, has never released anything in Early Access that didn't turn out stellar anyway, so it just ends up being a great way to get discounts without having to wait on a sale. Dead Cells itself can be considered feature-complete and has been for some time, despite the EA tag. It's just QoL changes at this point, and the developer has been top notch.

15. RedoLane

Sep 16, 2016
    Israel
    You don't get it.
    I prefer buying a game when it's ready for a full release, because playing a game which keeps getting updated over fixes and other stuff doesn't seem finished to me.
    It's the same with specific games after launch.
    Also if money is what worries you, then you shouldn't worry on my case.. Games are pretty cheap here in our currency, so even buying Dead Cells at a full price will be enough.

Last edited by RedoLane, May 10, 2018
  16. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Oh I get it, but receiving patches/tweaks isn't necessarily an indicator of a game being incomplete. Some developers will just keep making improvements as long as people keep buying their game. Nobody ever complained about a game being too polished.

17. RedoLane

Sep 16, 2016
    Israel
    That's true, but from past experiences, I bought too many games which were partially unplayable at their Early Access state.
    Since then, I stopped caring.

18. McWhiters9511

McWhiters9511 GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 28, 2016
    United States
    Space
    oh man. i love reviews from credible sources with 114 subscribers

19. H1B1Esquire

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    Somebody has to look out for your best interests--I've got you, mang.

glad to know you gave a fuck to do what I did.

McWhiters does what H1B1 doesn't really give a fuck about.