DDR2 800MHz 8GB

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by lookout, Mar 16, 2008.

Mar 16, 2008

DDR2 800MHz 8GB by lookout at 2:13 AM (1,489 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. lookout
    OP

Member lookout GBAtemp Board Room

United Kingdom
    I just brought a Corsair 4096MB TwinX XMS2 6400 DDR2 Memory Kit (2 x 2048MB) x2 8GB for my ASUS Striker Extreme motherboard and they work fine support up to 8gb.

[​IMG]

- 800MHz DDR2
    - CL 5-5-5-18
    - 1.8 V

sadly I saw this:
    OCZ 8GB (4x2GB) PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel Platinum Low Latency XTC Series DDR2 (OCZ2P8008GQ)

[​IMG]

- 800MHz DDR2
    - CL 5-4-4-18 (CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS)
    - 2.1-2.2 Volts
    - 2.2V EVP**

The OCZ CAS Latency seen better then my Corsair XMS2 - I need help

1.Will this memory OCZ2P8008GQ work with the ASUS Striker Extreme motherboard?
    2.Dose Corsair XMS2 run better then OCZ 8GB?
    3.Should I return those Corsair XMS2 8gb for OCZ 8GB?
    4.Could I able to timings the Corsair XMS2 to get better CAS Latency then OCZ 8GB?
    5.Thank

2. Kyoji

Member Kyoji ウッーウッーウマ

United States
    I'd imagine they will run very similiar. If you can return them with minimal hassle, and the OCZ stuff is the same price or cheaper, then go for it. As for 4, I'm pretty sure its highly recommended to stick to the timings that are advertised, I havent heard of anybody eve running their RAM with timings that it doesnt support, but then again I'm not hardcore into the overclocking scene either. I'd say you'd probably run a high risk of damaging the RAM, or running very unstable RAM at the least. I'd hit a site like newegg or comparable and see what people have to say about these two brands, I personally see both of them on sale -all- the time, so they must sell quite a bit.

3. ZeWarrior

Member ZeWarrior TheWarrior

Brazil
    Umm.. if I may ask, why would you need 8GB of RAM?

4. MystikEkoez

Member MystikEkoez GBAtemp Fan

United States
    If the price is the same, I would probably switch. But if it's cheaper than the Corsair XMS2, go for it. However, keep in mind the quality of Corsair products versus OCZ.

5. legendofphil

Member legendofphil Phil no Densetsu

United Kingdom
    If you have XP you won't be able to use this much, XP doesn't see 4GB and beyond.

I would stick with it, the difference is minimal and the hassle of returning isn't worth it.

6. Flozem

Member Flozem GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    XP 32bit doesn't even support over 3GB [​IMG]

I have 4GB in my pc, but only vista uses the full 4GB.

7. lookout
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thank for replying.

I have seen someone able get it up to 4gb on XP on 32bit..

there are 2 type of vista 32bit and 64bit

the vista 32bit support max of 4gb or *6gb with *bugs fixed
    the vista 64bit can support up to 8gb +

8. mojoex

Member mojoex GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    stick with the corsair. the ocz stuff may have the smallest bit better latency but that dosent really effect your performance when you have 8GB of the stuff.
    the ocz stuff runs very high on voltage.. doesnt last as long as the corsair.

9. Javacat

Member Javacat GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    All OCZ memory comes with lifetime warranty, so as long as he doesn't push the voltage over 2.2v he can just send it back if it dies. In my recent build I had considered buying that OCZ memory, but in the end decided to buy two sets of "OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) PC2-6400C5 800MHz SLI-Ready Edition Low Latency Dual Channel DDR2" to give me 8gig, which worked out at about £10 more but is a bit faster.

If you do decide to send it back and you bought the memory online (assuming that you are in the UK) then you can send it back within 7 days using Distance Selling Regulations and the only thing you will have to pay is postage. After that it is down to the stores discretion. The only thing that the stores can ask is that you provide ALL original packaging, although they can't really complain about the actual condition. I recently sent back some other RAM due to the stupidly sized cooling making it impossible to fit and the RAM was pretty scratched up (I tried making it fit [​IMG]) and they accepted it without any complaints.

10. lookout
    OP

United Kingdom
    THANK FOR REPLY [​IMG]

Corsair also have lifetime warranty, most brand have lifetime warranty.

if i send it back it'll cost me postage few pounds for OCZ - and compare CL 5-4-4-18 and CL 5-5-5-18 seem hardly noting (review above)
    next time I should spend more time searching for better rams and price.

those both company brand are recommended and I'm satisfied -

---------------------------------------
    for people don't understand why 8gb Of Rams?

So far it only support 64-bit version of Vista is designed to use memory more dynamically, so if you have 8GB of memory it'll simply throw more into it to take even less weight off the need to access the hard drive and pagefile.

11. fenthwick

Member fenthwick GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    At least you know what type of OS that much RAM will work on... unlike some people.