DC Universe Online going Free to Play in October.

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Xuphor, Sep 20, 2011.

Sep 20, 2011
  1. Xuphor
    OP

Banned Xuphor I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.

United States
    UPDATE: According to G4TV's Gameplay Preview, the "Downlaod and play" will come October 19th: http://www.g4tv.com/videos/55706/dc-universe-online-free-to-play-preview/

Original source: http://www.dcuniverseonline.com/en/news/ar...p;month=current

SAN DIEGO – September 19, 2011 – Sony Online Entertainment LLC (SOE) today announced a new free-to-play business model for its popular massively multiplayer online (MMO) game DC Universe Online (DCUO) — where players have the freedom to become legendary fighting alongside DC Comics icons like Superman, Batman and The Jokerin an ever-evolving online action adventure that has already logged more than 42 million hours of super-powered gameplay action by players since its launch earlier this year.

Beginning late October, players will be able to download and access DCUO for free on both the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and PC. As part of this transition, SOE is introducing three new access levels to the game: Free, Premium and Legendary. All three levels will provide access to open world gameplay and missions, general game updates and fixes to the game, with each level offering different game options and benefits.

"When we launched DC Universe Online, we introduced a very different brand of massive online game driven by fast action combat to PC and PS3™gamers and with that, we discovered a new type of online gamer," said John Smedley, President, Sony Online Entertainment. "We've listened to our community, and we've determined that the free-to-play model is the best fit for DC Universe Online."

Smedley added, "Our philosophy embraces learning from our experience and as a pioneer in the free-to-play space with proven successful games like Free Realms and Clone Wars Adventures, we believe this new model will expand the DCUO experience and offer more options that cater to every type of player so they can play the game in a way that fits them."

All three levels provide access to the current game, but allow differing tiers of convenience and flexibility. The levels are:

Free: New players will now have access to the current gameplay in DC Universe Online (including Gotham City, Metropolis, and all current raids and alerts), with the ability to create two characters, join a league and many other benefits. Free level players will be able to purchase downloadable game packs/updates, additional character slots, powers and more through microtransactions.

Premium: Any player who has spent at least $5 USD (including former paid subscribers and new players who have purchased $5 of in-game items) will qualify for the Premium access level. Premium level players will have more benefits available to them than the Free level player, including additional character slots, additional inventory slots, and higher cash limits. Downloadable adventure packs, additional character slots, and more can be purchased in-game.

Legendary: Maximum features and benefits are included at this level. Loaded with enhanced additional features, Legendary access will be available for a $14.99 USD monthly fee and includes all DLC packs at no cost, more than 15 character slots, more than 80 inventory slots, the ability to form unrestricted-sized leagues, and many other benefits.

More information on the DCUO free-to-play access levels can be found here: http://www.dcuniverseonline.com/free/ .

DC Universe Online combines immersive environments and fascinating story arcs with fast-paced, physics-based combat, allowing players to pick up buses and other objects in the environment, fly into the air and throw them at enemies; run up the sides of buildings to engage in melee brawls while shooting flames of fire from their hands; or cling to the side of buildings while using a grappling hook to pull flying opponents out of the sky – all while fighting alongside or against the legendary characters of DC Comics and charting their own path to legendary.

On PS3, this will be the first F2P MMO game. Free Realms also is on PS3, but those who've played it can agree that it's not really a game, more of a social gathering spot. Personally, I'm looking forward to this, especially with the fact the MegaServers went live in August.

2. kevan

Member kevan Imagination rules the world

Australia
    I might aswell check it out.

3. Xuphor
    OP

United States
    Once it's free, yea. IMO this game was NOT even close to being worth $15/month. Even as a F2P, I only consider it above average, there are better F2P games already out. See Rusty Hearts for example.

4. 1234turtles

Member 1234turtles GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I wanted to try this out, but when i saw the monthly fee I was like forget it. I think i'll try it now.

5. chrisrlink

Member chrisrlink Rouge Temper

United States
    OH HELL YES heard DCO was kick ass from my besty anywhat what are the system requirements for PC?

6. Jakob95

Suspended Jakob95 I am the Avatar

United States
    Wait do I have to buy the game? Or this is like a game I download on my PS3 via the PSN store?

7. GameWinner

Member GameWinner Take your heart

United States
    You have to buy it, new at that if your planning on playing online.

8. Eckin

Member Eckin GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    So if you pay for one month only, you get the legendary pack, and then you can stop paying and keep all that stuff? Like DLC packs and huge inventory size, tons of character slots and no money limit

I'm slightly interested now that it is free, but I don't mind paying 15 bucks more for a decent amount of content. If it is limited to the month I'm paying, then nevermind.

9. Nathan Drake

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    To maintain Legendary account status, along with all of the features of it, you have to spend $15 a month. It isn't like the premium where it looks like you pay $5 once and have the slight perks of a premium account forever.

10. Eckin

Member Eckin GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    Ehh...

Then I'll try it out... and if it's good I'll buy the Green Lantern DLC (just found out about it, the only part of the DC universe I care about is a DLC, damn).

Not being able to trade money plus money limit is really annoying tho

11. BoxmanWTF

Member BoxmanWTF ♪Toot Toot Sonic Warrior♫

Canada
    F2P? consider it downloaded

12. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    Might pick it up for PS3.

But I'm not all that into MMOs unless it has Phantasy Star Online in the title

13. Xuphor
    OP

United States
    Unless I'm misreading badly, you won't need to "pick up" anything. You should be able to just download and play it on PS3, no purchase, like Free Realms PS3.

14. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    I might just pick this up for PS3 especially as it has no games.

15. Xuphor
    OP

United States
    V.V See my post right above yours.

16. Waddy101

Newcomer Waddy101 Member

United Kingdom
    The DLC is going to be Free XD

I bought this when it first came out and played it for a month and then never touched it again, i might go back and play it now it's free and see what has changed.

17. blahkamehameha

Member blahkamehameha GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Wording is a little unclear. But surely they wouldn't make the game free to download. That'd seem like a slap in the face to people who payed 59.99 for it, plus wouldn't really make much sense financially.

18. [M]artin

Member [M]artin .

United States
    What about the people that bought the game earlier and have been paying the monthly sub fees for a while... they're gonna be pissed...

Are they receiving compensation or bonuses of some sort? (beyond the Free/Premium/Legendary tiers?)

19. blahkamehameha

Member blahkamehameha GBAtemp Regular

United States
    the only ones i think who will be getting compensation would be the life-time subscription purchasers.

20. chartube12

Member chartube12 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    DLC free only if u keep paying a sub.