DC Dreamcast Homebrew Game: Super Nutmeg (Playable DEMO) by Retroguru

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm proud to present the Demo-Game of the upcoming Retroguru & Photon Storm game "Super Nutmeg", released at the RETROKOMP/LOAD ERROR 2018 Gamedev compo.

Super Nutmeg is an enhanced version of Photon Storm's HTML5 game Nutmeg. The original game is a one button jump and run game. You can find this original game playing the classic mode.

Super Nutmeg is a sidescrolling jump and run game. Rescue your buddies, fight the evil kidnapper, collect stars, earn powers and avoid enemies at any cost. As usual, a simple but yet slightly entertaining story. Powerups will make you climb ropes and jump higher, which can be of advantage in later levels and fighting the boss.

The released demo contains the all the 5 levels of the original game from Photon Storm and the first 4 levels of the new Super Nutmeg arcade game.

You can download the cdi image of the demo from http://www.retroguru.com. Final version planned for Xmas '18.

As any Retroguru release it will be available soon on many other platforms, such as Amiga OS4, AROS, MorphOS, OpenPandora, Playstation Portable, etc...

nutmeg-screenshot-1_thumb.jpg
nutmeg-screenshot-2_thumb.jpg

nutmeg-screenshot-3_thumb.jpg

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Instead of the usual port, this time here is a game coded by me. I was planning to code a game from long time.
not a port? did you see the original html5 code? or you just copied from what you saw on the screen?
or maybe you made the html5 vesion?
just curious

anyway, that makes it even better that it's not just a port, us here at gbatemp are lucky to have you as a dev member here!

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Very nice!
I hope I've got a blank cd so I can try this on my DC :D

Will the final release be freely available too, or will you be looking at Josh Prod or someone similar to release it "officially"?

Last edited by duwen,

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
not a port? did you see the original html5 code? or you just copied from what you saw on the screen?
or maybe you made the html5 vesion?
just curious

anyway, that makes it even better that it's not just a port, us here at gbatemp are lucky to have you as a dev member here!

We had the original sources from Photon Storm guys with the permission to use their material, but after a fast look at it I decided to remake it using the Retroguru engine (more C a framework based on SDL than a real game engine) starting from the code of Hermes. It was very usefull to make a fast POC and decide how to enhance the original game, but sfter six weeks of work all the Hermes specific code has changed (remain almost untouched only the menu structure and the primitives (GFX and SFX) mapping the SDL functions, but applyed some tweaks to them too some tweak, like the multi save game slot (not in the demo) and some gfx primitives not yet mapped from SDL.

Other than reading the original code, played severl time the original game ad tryed to reproduce the original game setting the phisic parameters of the game framework, but at some point decided to leave some difference and make the game as I like it. It's somehow harder than the original :evil:

The big help in making the starting POC was the possibility to use the retroguru level editor and the available functions to load the level file, it saved me a lot of time and debug.

For the levels of the original game I wrote a simple c program to convert them in the retroguru format (maping the tiles was a pain, the original ones has internal codes that don't map with the position in the tiles BMP), but had to add monsters and stars manually because they where not defined in the level map, but with some object initialiation code.

Musics are from two talents of the old Amiga chiptunes music, Vedder and Triace. Some of the musics are works presented inpast demoscene events, but never used for games yeb, but we had new composition too for this game.

For the grafic we used the original tileset and backgrounds, so to have a close remake of the Classic mode, but added new tiles and backgrounds for Super Nutmeg Arcade mode, and new tiles for the yellow duck when gains superpowers. The new gfx are from Krzysztof Matys (Koyot1222), one of the pixel graphics artist that collaborates with the Team.

New levels design was done from many members of the team, we are going to use the best parts of them to make the final 20 levels (5 worlds of 4 levels each, a blue duck saved at the end of every world).

The main code is finished, we have an advanced version of the game that plays much smoother than the released demo, now I have to code the Boss Fights and add some fancy thing we are still disussing.

As you noticed I use always the plural because all the decision on the game was discussed with the briliant Retroguru producer Shahzad Sahaib (@Kojote), that can't code, but has a great experience of game design and know hot to stress his team to met deadlines and quality goals :lol:.

A great experience, hope that koyote will propose me to work on other games in the future.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Very nice!
I hope I've got a blank cd so I can try this on my DC :D

Will the final release be freely available too, or will you be looking at Josh Prod or someone similar to release it "officially"?
As usual for Retroguru games the final game will be free and available for many platforms, but with the posibility to buy a phisical copy to support the team.

Last edited by nop90,
Reactions: cearp and duwen

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you pee in the water