Have a cup of joe!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Good afternoon tempers and tempies. I woke up around 9:00 to be greeted by the beautiful box art of Advance Wars: Days of Ruin on the front page of GBAtemp. The first time I came on the site I just scrolled right past the NDS section without even seeing it, but to my suprise it was sitting right there. So of course I got to spend some quality time with the game
yaynds.gif

The opening sequence in Advance Wars Days of Ruin

To start off, this game has awesome art design. It's characters aren't like the old Advance Wars characters where the character is colorful and heavily cartoony. The new character designs look more like a grittier and dark anime style. The story is also much darker than before. AWDR starts off in a post apocalyptic world where your character, Will, has just dug himself out of rubble. Everyone and everything around him is destroyed, and he is left alone and confused.

Will is shocked to see the destruction around him

But it doesn't take long for people to find the dazed Will, or else there wouldn't be much of a game. You encounter a man named Beast and he threatens to take all of your food and weapons. This is where you make your first move in the game, and that's running away! After moving a few spaces over you get help from Captain Brenner and Lin. They adopt you to fight with them and the story progresses from there. While the story is a bit trite it still has its moments and it's enjoyable. I'm just glad the game doesn't have the terrible dialogue that Advance Wars Dual Strike did.

One of AWDR's battles

One thing that shocked me was how good the music was. I wasn't expecting the music to be notable at all, but after playing trough the first 8 missions I can already tell this game has a large musical scale. I can't even recall the music from the other advance wars, so it's hard to compare them, but this game has a cool soundtrack. And sound check is ready out of the gate, so you can just listen to the songs alone if you wanted to. But other than the music and new art design it's the same old Advance Wars that we've grown to love so much.

The battle animations in AWDR

I'll probably be playing AWDR all day, and if I'm not I will probably be seeing Cloverfield. If you want to play with me on wifi just post a comment below with your friend code and stuff. My dad might be taking my computer in to get it upgraded soon, so if you don't see me posting for a few days my computer is having plastic surgery. Have a good day tempers!

-Cupajoe38

[M]artin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is just the thing I was hoping people would do with some of their blogs!!!

I love micro/meta-reviews, previews, opinions on releases and whatnot. I may be attempting this soon, as well.

Thanks for the preview, Cupa! I'm about to jump into the game in a few minutes.

Take care! (oh, and, wewt Cloverfield
laugh.gif
)

cupajoe

Have a cup of joe!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE([M said:
artin @ Jan 21 2008, 01:03 PM)]This is just the thing I was hoping people would do with some of their blogs!!!

I love micro/meta-reviews, previews, opinions on releases and whatnot. I may be attempting this soon, as well.

Thanks for the preview, Cupa! I'm about to jump into the game in a few minutes.

Take care! (oh, and, wewt Cloverfield
laugh.gif
)

Ha ha. I didn't even have the intention of this turning into a micro review, but it just kept going. I can't wait to see yours!

Talaria

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
Hey your blog is similar to mine. No i didn't copy your work the same picture i used just happened to be the first one i found in google images when i typed Advance Wars: Days of Ruin and fitting in with the concept of me saying that the first thought that came to mind was Cloverfield of which i had just watched that night. Secondly i had written in my blog the day before that i was going to do a write up about Days of Ruin and my first blog's post in the topic description said "Gaming rants, point of views etc" indicating that in my blogs i would be writing stuff about video games which coincidentally I was also very interested in the upcoming release of Advance Wars: Days of Ruin. Anyway I feel proud i have found my long lost twin.

Edit- Before posting my blog I saw another labelled Days of Ruin so i thought I would make a semi-parody calling it Days of Cloverfield reflecting the fact that i had just watched Cloverfield previously that night. Also the content of mine is entirely different then yours the only thing similar was we both came to the conclusion that the music was good.

cupajoe

Have a cup of joe!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ha ha. I know you didn't have the intention or anything... I was just joking around. But I'm still glad I found my long lost twin. Keep active on the blogging!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended