Day Z coming to PS4 - and likely skipping Xbox One

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Day Z was a mod for ultra-realistic military sim Arma 2 that let gamers loose in a zombie apocalypse. Players were forced to scavenge for meager supplies while fending off the undead and other humans. It had zombies, so naturally, it was a huge hit.

Since then, the design team has been busy crafting a standalone version. Luckily for console gamers who missed out the first time, they have their sights on next gen. The "bad" news?

Dean Hall has suggested that his standalone version of Arma 2 mod DayZ, intended for PC and next gen consoles, might not be released on Xbox One due to publishing and patching restrictions.

Microsoft does not allow indies to self publish and charges for patches, while on PS4, issuing a patch is free, and indies can publish titles themselves, says Hall.

“We’re happy to see DayZ on any console but there is a… I guess one problem,” Hall told us. “The console needs to not charge for us to do updates and it needs to be indie title friendly.”
:arrow: Edge Online

But the Xbox One is super indie friendly. It has Minecraft. Check your facts, indie developer.

Seriously, though, this is yet another notch (not to be confused with Notch) in Sony's belt. The company has put serious efforts in attracting indie developers to their next gen console, and it certainly seems to be paying off.

The Xbox One, on the other hand, had something of a horrible week at E3, what with Sony grabbing the positive press baton and just running with it. The sentiment surrounding the machine is anything but encouraging, and it's only getting worse. At this rate, Microsoft will be asking the games industry for a do-over any day now.

Still, in the interest of fairness, I will cater to the Xbox One's fan(s?). Here is one free rebuttal. Rebuttal expires 7/31.
-"Who cares? I do not want this game on my platform of choice, which happens to be the Xbox One. Besides, the Day Z? More like Day Zzzzz, because it bores me until I am in a state of sleep."

Keep some ice on you at all times, because that line is going to cause some serious burns.

GameWinner

Take your heart
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That new Odd World game is also skipping the Xbone because of their policy of forcing developers to partner with a publisher.
So much for courting indie developers.
Source

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
How many people will they screw and voluntarily defect to the competition until MS improves their policies? They screwed developers, their own customers, and even themselves by their blantant lies, fuck you's towards legitimate consumer complaints, breaking the law for preorders.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
What a surprise, the Xbox One is already losing potential titles due to the restrictive money making policies. It's indie developers quitting today, likely big name developers after what's sure to be a lackluster launch.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the Xbone is going to be a very interesting representation of what the gaming market was turned into, and what it has been redefined as, coming out of the economic slippage that happened this last decade. Sony is trying to push the system as everything central to the game experience; systems for the last generation, however, have been touting themselves as integrated entertainment hubs, giving you access to DVD players, Blu-ray players, online multiplayer, streaming of media that isn't necessarily gaming-related, and whatnot. These became profitable investments for the consumer. Microsoft is reshifting the Xbox to its original interest as a complete multilmedia box, meant to deliver all of the above.

If the gaming market has been that damaged by the economic context during the past years, Xbone could potentially ride on consumer familiarity. But if the gaming market in the western world is still primarily associated with, and only for, games, then Xbone is really in dire straits, given its PR strategies. I'd also be willing to guess that Microsoft has a few new interested investors/supports pivoting the system into their own interests, like Comcast, for example.

xorrox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Can't say much for Day Z... I was not able to get the mod for Arma2 to run properly on my machine and as others have stated - still no publicly available standalone version. However, The Dead Linger is just what I needed! While it may not be console ready yet, in their current alpha state (build 009c as of this post) they are already getting wicked press and moving at an insane pace. They have climbed from some 1300 titles on steam greenlight to above 49 in just 2 weeks. Massive open world, countless undead, huge variety in weapons and locations. Mobs can break down doors and smash windows to climb into, or out of, a building to chase you. Day night cycle - with a limited battery flashlight for at night. Barricading and building with hammers, sledge hammers, axes, 2x4's and plywood... on and on - AWESOME GAME. I would love to see it come to console - and as much as I dislike Sony for their muck ups over the last few years - I have to be honest, they are really doing the playstation line some justice with the ps4 and its marketing. I may have to get one - haven't touch my 360 in forever though, not even interested in the xbone regardless of their bad press...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.