Day of Silence

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Crystal the Glaceon, Apr 15, 2011.

Apr 15, 2011

Day of Silence by Crystal the Glaceon at 2:08 PM (1,054 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. Crystal the Glaceon
    OP

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    Today is the Day of Silence.

Website

2. MFDC12

Member MFDC12 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    i support this day 100%, this is the first year in quite a few years i have not participated :\
    im silent at heart today [​IMG]

3. Crystal the Glaceon
    OP

Antarctica
    This is the first time myself that I didn't remain silent all day since I am no longer in school

4. rastsan

Member rastsan 8 baller, Death Wizard

Canada
    wasn't worth it in my highschool. in college It was loudly there!
    (prejudiced canadian smalltown farmhands, ah how I don't miss the daily threats)
    I didn't know about this.

5. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Honestly, I support the GLBT community and their campaign for justice. I just think there are better ways to promote this than the Day of Silence.

I'm guessing my view is distorted because the GSA (Gay-Straight Alliance) at my school is basically full of a bunch of 'tards. People who don't actually do anything to help promote equal opportunity, it's just hipsters who go there to pick up chicks. I'm not shitting you.

I just think there's a better way to remember an injustice. I support the cause completely, I just think the execution is not the best.

6. Crystal the Glaceon
    OP

Antarctica
    Same here about the point being that there needs to be a better way.

I don't really support GSA's myself since honestly most of them these days don't do shit. When I was part of my school's GSA I made it become active in events and made it a GSA and just some some Social Club.

7. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Yeah, that's exactly it.

And it's sad though. First off, we have I think one gay dude that goes to GSA. Everyone else who goes their are chicks, maybe a few guys who actually care about it, or the fucking hipsters who say they're "bisexual". Honestly, there is such a thing as being bisexual and that's absolutely fine if you are. But these fucking hipsters say they are so they can seem "open" to women or something. If you're actually bisexual, that's great. If you're just saying that so you can seem emotionally complex to the ladies, then go fuck yourselves.

But anyone, the president of the school GSA I kinda know well. She tries actually organizing things that actually matter like AIDS walks or fundraisers but most of the club doesn't do shit. Pretty much every other club would be willing to do fundraisers and charity walks. But a lot of the GSA guys and gals don't do shit. It's sad.

They should just kick the name GSA entirely and go for something like "GLBT Equality Club" or something.

8. Crystal the Glaceon
    OP

Antarctica
    That was the GSA of my school, then I became the Student Head of it and kicked it into shape...yeah about 75% of most of the members quit shortly I started making them become active in the community. And I know what you mean, honestly it's hard to find anyone who truly is "bisexual" since now it's become the cool thing to be so you can get girls, which then doesn't help Gay rights because it makes it seem like sexuality is just something you can choose, which just sets our rights back 30 years.

I renamed the GSA to SGA, the Straight Gay Alliance, simply to show that it's not just for gay people, it also has straight people in it as well and to bring more attention to it instead of people ignoring it because of the word "gay" being in front it. Interestingly enough people started to listen to us better when I did that even though the Student Head happened to be Gay.

9. Vidboy10

Member Vidboy10 Tsardom

Canada
    I've detested LBGT since I've first heard them. They're the lowest of the low when it comes to human awareness groups, they're technically the NSDAP awareness groups.

10. rastsan

Canada
    For me they were the first I heard of. the only I had contact with for 3 years. the only other "help" I had was a crappy pamphlet given to me by my homophobic family doctor(hometown). this pamphlet by the way was geared to straight couples who had contracted their first std.
    For such a "low" awareness group they were the only lifeline for me.

11. PeregrinFig

Member PeregrinFig A miserable little pile of secrets

United States
    I don't understand what this day was supposed to accomplish. I can't see anyone thinking "Oh, wow, look at all those people not saying anything! I should really stop discriminating against them." Maybe I'm missing the point, but it seems like an awareness group should actually DO something instead of just whining about discrimination and telling people to assist them in their campaign that does nothing about it.

As far as I know most of the people in my school's GSA are actually gay, but I have never talked to them. I really don't like most of those people, not because of their sexual orientation, but because they're all the type that just scream "LOOK AT ME, I'M DIFFERENT", and I'd be completely unsurprised if it turned out some of them weren't even gay, but wanted to get attention.

12. rastsan

Canada
    appendum to earliar post...
    it is not to say though that my school would not have benefited from having any type of lgbt group. The 3 teens who killed themselves over bullying, harrassement, etc. One of whom was friend of mine...
    If, if, if, sigh. I have no regrets over that time but do wish that certain people had been more senstive, than the douchebags they ended up being. yet another reason why I left...
    I literally lived two doors down from "neo-nazi" idiots (not against neo-nazi life style just those particular idiots).

You take a vow of silence for a day to show your support for those who suffered in silence.

sigh... not that I did, just nobody beleived me.