Davee gets PSP Kernal access on PS Vita.

Xuphor

I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://wololo.net/wa...ss-on-the-vita/

Famous PSP dev Davee just posted a youtube video showing him running PSP homebrews on a Vita. I initially thought “well, not a big surprise, he’s running his own port of VHBL to some random exploited game”, but it turns out this is much more interesting than that, as he managed to get a PSP Kernel exploit running on the PSP Emulator. Davee had hinted a few days ago on twitter that he had PSP User mode access, but it’s a surprise to see Kernel mode today.

Wololo says this means "and potentially down the road, PSP iso loaders. ", but he clearly did not watch the end of the video linked. Davee loads up Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters via the homebrew screens, which is only available as a full PSP game. This means he HAS to have found a way to load PSP isos on the Vita.

EDIT: Since I pointed out the fact to Wololo he didn't watch the entire video, he said this to me in reply:
You are correct in saying I didn’t watch the entire video. I updated my post slightly to add that information about Dave actually running isos from his exploit, thanks
He also slightly changed his original post to include that fact.

EDIT 2: I completely forgot this site lets you post youtube videos directly, I can have retarded moments. Here is the video:
Skip to about 5:05 to see him loading up Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters EUR version.
[yt]rZ6_xY5lkhk[/yt]

Reactions: 2 people

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Thanks for making this thread, Xuphor. I'm incredibly lazy :P

It doesn't surprise me Davee figured this out first. He had a track record of being a trailblazer on the PSP scene. Let's just hope this upcoming homebrew will be easy to install (i.e. free) when released. :)

Xuphor

I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for making this thread, Xuphor. I'm incredibly lazy :P

It doesn't surprise me Davee figured this out first. He had a track record of being a trailblazer on the PSP scene. Let's just hope this upcoming homebrew will be easy to install (i.e. free) when released. :)

My main concern is that even if it is free, the CMA we'll be forced to used to install it won't block it somehow. Also that it doesn't require a PSP game already purchased, like the VHBL did. Sony pulled the exploited PSP game within 4 hours, I'm sure they'd do it again if it's another game exploit.

Reactions: 2 people

dragonmaster

Ancient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
great news i am a victim of sony myself i purchased motorstorm arctic edge they withdrew the download and they didnt return the money i lost 20 euro and they dont even answer the emails..Go homebrew

Reactions: 1 person

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Let's just hope Davee can push this out before Sony blocks it. :unsure:

It's not unheard of for a company to pre-patch an unreleased exploit.
Read up about DSiHax and update 1.4.2 if you don't believe me.
http://hackmii.com/2...m-update-1-4-2/

They don't have to block a specific exploit, they can simply block the 'process' if you will.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Nobody mentions that it's signed eboot so he hasn't got a way to fully play them yet.
All he's done is load a legally purchased PSP eboot from the PSN store. The Vita is already set for playing games so he just asked it to load a different one. Sorry folks, no ISO loader and definitely not one from Davee (he leaves that stuff alone)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Nobody mentions that it's signed eboot so he hasn't got a way to fully play them yet.
All he's done is load a legally purchased PSP eboot from the PSN store. The Vita is already set for playing games so he just asked it to load a different one. Sorry folks, no ISO loader and definitely not one from Davee (he leaves that stuff alone)
You don't seem to understand what Kernel access means. By launching an application in Kernel mode, you are allowed to bypass all posts of security checks as the system assumes the integrity of the Kernel. ISO loading has been attempted in User mode but the only successful loaders work in Kernel mode, to which *he found access just now*. If he releases this exploit, pro-piracy or pro-backups hackers will take it from there, *especially* since Sony already pissed them off by not allowing PSP game transfering outside Japan and with their general attitude towards modding, hacking and homebrew. On the side note, looks like I'll be getting a Vita sooner than expected. :)

Reactions: 1 person

indask8

New Member Forever
Trophies
XP
Country
France
This is a great advance on the PSVita homebrew scene, we're near full access well... inside the PSP emulator, but still.

The only problem now is how Sony will react? Is it worth getting banned from PSN and your vita banned too for stuffs you can securely do on your old PSP?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
This is a great advance on the PSVita homebrew scene, we're near full access well... inside the PSP emulator, but still.

The only problem now is how Sony will react? Is it worth getting banned from PSN and your vita banned too for stuffs you can securely do on your old PSP?
The structure of PSN allows for user account banning, but the console itself will remain intact. Sony will probably just release an update, what else can they do?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol