Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom

ds.gif

Datel to release DS MP3 Player
DS Cart sized, Micro SD slot

Datel, the company that already brought us the Action Replay DS; Max Media launcher and the Max Media dock that mysteriously found itself capable of playing commercial DS ROMs, are set to release a DS cart sized DS MP3 player that will accept Micro SD cards with no sticking out. Whether this one will find itself playing ROMs in the future is uncertain, but the same could have been said for the Max Media Dock.

The MP3 player cart has a built in NoPass, so no other equipment is required. The cart comes with earphones, CD and a USB micro SD card reader. Discuss?

Lacrimosa

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
The same thing can be done with the new ninja card and a micro sd. It's the same, isn't it? I can't find any use for this card...
huh.gif

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wouldn't persuade me to get one. BTW, Nintendo is going to release the Play Yan thing in Europe sometime next month from what I heard. It's a nice feature but with moonshell already installed on my DS, I don't think I'll be getting it.

id242

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like the look and size of the USB MicroSD Card reader - it's much nicer than using a USB SD Reader with a MicroSD to SD combination.

Plus, the headphones are a nice little bonus for anyone who doesnt already own compact headphones such as these - I hope they sound just as good (or at least better) than the generic off-the-shelf $10 brand.

If the price is right and it doesn't require any software to convert the mp3 files for the player, I can see this as being a nice RETAIL purchase for the AVERAGE consumer (one who doesn't know, or care about hardware flashing and carts...etc)

pending price announcement, nice work Datel.

..and thanks for the updates gbatemp!

EDIT: I'd like to know if this is a top-loading or side-loading MicroSD DS-Cart. And yes, pictures of the interface (or retail packaging) and link to the website product-page would be cool too.

Kamgusta

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
I could almost guarentee that the software they are using on that thing is a modified version of moonshell.
They don't use Moonshell for MP3 playing in their other products.

Datel is always a pioneer. Nice work. Too bad their.. ehmm.. coff team.. coff.. Maximum Overload.. coff coff is not that great with ROM compatibility

_Mazza_

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
actually the max media player used moonshell when it was first released and then it was updated with their own software months later.

id242

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bah... thanks to whoever posted that [useless] INCREDIBLY LARGE PMP photo - you killed the bandwidth on my DSBrowser.

I'd steer clear of the PMP - i already hate having to carry around an extra rom pack for the DSBrowser, now I can just guess that others would have to carry around another useless cart... and by useless, I mean a cart that can only use 1gb of storage, when 2gb MicroSD cards can be purchased in abundance. They make 40gb video/iPods because people have more than 1gb of mp3/media files - so why would anyone want to just have 1gb of mp3/media files on their DS when they could expand their entire CD collection to several 2gb MicroSD cards for the Datel.

Plus, the PMP requires that I install software to my PC (not Mac compatible? some of my friends still use these things) to transfer the MP3/media to it's cartridge? Bahh, Ill stick with the PROVEN MicroSD that could care less what OS you're using.

I thought the reason people moved from the DS.phat to the DS.lite was to get away from the size, thus reducing clutter in their bags and such. This PMP looks like it will be hell to transfer from one friend's place to another... With the PMP, there goes the portability of being able to 'share' that awesome new MP3 tune (or viral video) from your buddy's laptop after school.

close\\rant (or however the geek-kids write it)

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
Trophies
XP
Country
Actually, I'll stay with my DS-X even though I have only 512 Megs, still, I can have a pair of games and some songs =)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1