Datel Drive Doctor

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Lumstar, Nov 20, 2007.

Nov 20, 2007

Datel Drive Doctor by Lumstar at 2:40 AM (1,142 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. Lumstar
    OP

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    I'm rather new at hardware thingys, having only really tried softmods. Not likely to installing this myself. I just want to make sure I've not made mistakes, etc. This Wii is an NTSC US model from around July 2007. Probably D2B going by the date. I haven't opened it, since I'll need to work around the lack of a triwing. So I don't know if those pins are cut and I haven't heard anything whatsoever about whether that even affects a Drive Doctor.

Anyone familar with this device? Rather not open the Wii needlessly. [​IMG]

2. Hooya

Member Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Only thing that I can tell you is that as of now I don't think there is code on it that lets you play SMG backups. It'll probably support your drive. Input your serial number in the Wii serial number checker to see if you got D2C. If so, you can't use the Drive Doctor. Even if it's cut legs, it'll work fine, it's just a much larger pain to install.

I'd personally stay away from it. Instead, go with an externally mounted open source mod. If you need to update you chip it's easy to take it out and re-program it. Programmers are available on eBay for pretty cheap. It's a more flexible solution in the end.

3. robi

Member robi GBAtemp Regular

France
    There is no way to avoid opening your Wii and soldering.

4. Lumstar
    OP

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    According to this, there is an unofficial update that should be able to run SMG. Luckily I already bought the game. [​IMG] Guess I'll have to take the Wii apart twice. Once to make sure of it's version, and last after I find someone who can help install it. Thanks for the tips.

5. bennydigital

Member bennydigital GBAtemp Regular

United States
    wth is a Drive Doctor and what does it do?

6. RyuKakashi

Member RyuKakashi GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Essentially it's Datel's modchip. Datel are the guys that brought you stuff like codebreaker(or some sort of cheat device) and 3rd party wifi apps/hard drives etc.
    Of course it would be illegal for it to come shipped as a modchip so it's described as a "analyzer" or some bullshit.
    With the proper hacks, it can be a fully working modchip.

7. Lumstar
    OP

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    OK. As I thought, D2B with cut legs.

I'm not sure that makes it harder, since it'd already be wild.
    The contact points are so small... I don't see how any mod could be done without shorting, regardless of model. What can file down that black cover?