Hacking Datel Action Replay DSi "USB Device Not Recognized" on multiple PCs

RavenTsun

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey everybody.

I've been going through all my old flashcarts and cheating devices lately to update them and get them working as much as possible, and didn't have any issues with my GBA Action Replay or R4i 3DS. Right now, I'm trying to get my Action Replay DSi (microSD version) working, but I've run into an error whenever it is plugged into my computer.

A Windows pop-up appears when I plug it in, stating; "USB Device Not Recognized" and that the device has malfunctioned. Despite that, it still installs a generic Unknown Device driver for it. If I try to update that driver to the actual Action Replay DSi driver, it ignores it entirely.

At first, I thought it might be a Windows 7 compatibility issue, so I switched over to an old Windows XP desktop but it shows the same error when the AR is plugged in.

The AR DSi works perfectly fine in an actual DS/DS lite, but not a DSi as the firmware is out-of-date. I even entered a code manually and everything worked fine- it just can't connect to a PC properly. I've looked through all of Codemasters/Datel's support articles for the AR DSi, and most just state to check the drivers, update the firmware, or reset the device- but both a firmware update and device reset require the AR DSi PC software to actually recognize that it's connected.

So, I'm at a loss of what to do now, and can only assume that something's wrong with the USB connection.

If anybody has any tips I could try to get it working, though, I'd appreciate it- manually entering codes is a pain.

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
That is because the device comes with 32bit drivers on the disc. Install it on a comp with windows XP or in a VM with XP as the guest OS.

If you don't have a comp with XP then you will want to go through this guide on setting up devices in VM. If your not particularly observant, the Action Replays are treated the same way as a flashcart.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/using-virtualbox-to-manage-legacy-gba-flashcarts.275407/

---

The drivers don't work with USB 3 ports, even if you got a system that says it has backwards compatibility. You need a system with USB 2 or lower.

Last edited by how_do_i_do_that,

WeTheTurtles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is because the device comes with 32bit drivers on the disc. Install it on a comp with windows XP or in a VM with XP as the guest OS.

If you don't have a comp with XP then you will want to go through this guide on setting up devices in VM. If your not particularly observant, the Action Replays are treated the same way as a flashcart.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/using-virtualbox-to-manage-legacy-gba-flashcarts.275407/

---

The drivers don't work with USB 3 ports, even if you got a system that says it has backwards compatibility. You need a system with USB 2 or lower.
Hopefully this will work thanks for the help :)

how_do_i_do_that

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Goto post #3, link to a guide there. You substitute the Action Replay for Elink listed in the guide. You can ignore the parts that ask you to have the AR in the DS.

If you got only 2GB of RAM, your already screwed since you will want 2GB for your guest OS to run smoothly.

I don't upgrade my versions of windows to know if you can even install virtualbox on a 32bit version of windows, I will have to assume you got a 64bit version windows 10. That guide is for 64bit OS users only.

If your wondering if there is XP Mode for windows 10, there isn't one.

WeTheTurtles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Goto post #3, link to a guide there. You substitute the Action Replay for Elink listed in the guide. You can ignore the parts that ask you to have the AR in the DS.

If you got only 2GB of RAM, your already screwed since you will want 2GB for your guest OS to run smoothly.

I don't upgrade my versions of windows to know if you can even install virtualbox on a 32bit version of windows, I will have to assume you got a 64bit version windows 10. That guide is for 64bit OS users only.

If your wondering if there is XP Mode for windows 10, there isn't one.
Im plugging it in but it won't show up as anything at all. there isn't anything there.

Reactions: mamalira

Taffy

jdfiehgvrhfvhfjkvgrjhfejvgrjkbjvr
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I usually only get this error whenever I'm getting a short circuit on a USB port.

It's possible you may have a faulty cable, I've plugged an AR into my PC before and while it didn't install a driver I didn't get that error message either.

how_do_i_do_that

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Im plugging it in but it won't show up as anything at all. there isn't anything there.

I usually only get this error whenever I'm getting a short circuit on a USB port.

It's possible you may have a faulty cable, I've plugged an AR into my PC before and while it didn't install a driver I didn't get that error message either.

The both of you two are just giving vague replys to what you are doing and not giving anything important. I'm not a mind reader, that means your gonna have to give more detail than usual. As for things like "my PC", it doesn't tell me anything about your OS or what version your running or if your on a laptop, etc.

Answer these questions, that way I have a starting point to where you are and what you are doing.
  • What version of windows are you running and is it 32bit or 64bit. Your gonna have to tell me how much RAM you got to use. If you don't know, you can find it on the system property page.
  • Do you have virtualbox installed or some other VM. You need to install the ext pack if you got virtualbox installed to have access to USB devices.
  • Do you have XP as a Guest OS setup in the VM. And what Service Pack is it on. You will need to have 2GB to reserve for the Guest OS if your running a 64bit OS and got 4GB or more of RAM to use. Otherwise it will run slow as crap and take forever work with.

WeTheTurtles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The both of you two are just giving vague replys to what you are doing and not giving anything important. I'm not a mind reader, that means your gonna have to give more detail than usual. As for things like "my PC", it doesn't tell me anything about your OS or what version your running or if your on a laptop, etc.

Answer these questions, that way I have a starting point to where you are and what you are doing.
  • What version of windows are you running and is it 32bit or 64bit. Your gonna have to tell me how much RAM you got to use. If you don't know, you can find it on the system property page.
  • Do you have virtualbox installed or some other VM. You need to install the ext pack if you got virtualbox installed to have access to USB devices.
  • Do you have XP as a Guest OS setup in the VM. And what Service Pack is it on. You will need to have 2GB to reserve for the Guest OS if your running a 64bit OS and got 4GB or more of RAM to use. Otherwise it will run slow as crap and take forever work with.
I have windows 10 64bit 4 gigs of RAM I have virtualbox from the link you gave me with the ext pack installed and I have winxp as a Guest OS.
but the unknown device wont show up in the usb connections.

Taffy

jdfiehgvrhfvhfjkvgrjhfejvgrjkbjvr
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The first time I saw such an error, I had plugged a bad USB cable into my USB hub. There was a short between the power and ground lines in the cable. In other words, the cable was useless as it was not able to power devices.

Try getting a different cable and using that. May or may not solve the problem.

This was on Windows 7. Whether it is 32-bit or 64-bit should not matter, they handle problematic USB the same way.

DeoNaught

I'm here to steal memes and break dreams
Trophies
Website
Gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: Dionicio3

Dionicio3

goat
Trophies
Website
dionicio3.com
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    cyberpunk at 4k without DLSS/fidelityfx *might* exceed 12gb
    +1
    but that game barely runs at native 4k
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I think it was some newer games and probably poorly optimized PS4 or PS5 ports
    they definitely will age better but i feel dlss might outweigh that since it looks about as good as native resolution and much less demanding
    +1
    When I played Cyberpunk on my old 2080 Ti it sucked lol
    AMD could introduce something comparable to DLSS but nvidia's got a lot more experience with that
    least amd 7xxx has tensor cores which the previous generations didn't so there is the potential for AI upscaling
    They have FSR or whatever it's called and yeah it's still not great
    so AMD seem to finally be starting to take AI seriously
    Oh yeah those new 8000 CPUs have AI cores built in that's interesting
    Maybe they plan on offloading to the CPU?
    Would be kinda cool to have the CPU and GPU working in random more
    Tandem even
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus