Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gallery_177066_262_5132.jpg

The somewhat recently released Dark Souls was confirmed to be getting a PC version to the joy of many fans. However, it appears that to the dismay of many fans, it will only be coming to Microsoft's Games for Windows Live service, and not Valve's popular Steam platform.

The game was recently announced for the PC after a rather large fan petition was signed, but in an ironic twist, a new petition has risen requesting the game get its PC release, minus the support for Games for Windows Live.

The new petition describes Games for Windows Live as "unpopular, difficult to use, inconvenient, has terrible online support (a key feature in Dark Souls), and is downright unpleasant." The petition goes on to suggest the Steam platform because "DRM is much easier to use, less intrusive, more reliable, and more accepted among PC gamers."

The recent Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition for the PC will keep all the content of the original game, although it'll be adding new bosses as well. The game will be coming in August to the PC.

:arrow: Source

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I'm rather ok with GFWL since I have no problems with it, so I see no reason why it should be on steam instead... But then again, I don't really like steam to begin with and rarely use it. x.x

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm rather ok with GFWL since I have no problems with it, so I see no reason why it should be on steam instead... But then again, I don't really like steam to begin with and rarely use it. x.x

Steam holds an overwhelming majority of the market in PC gaming. I thought that like 75% of PC game sales are done through Steam or something ridiculous like that. Having it not get Steam support is just stupid.

Reactions: 2 people

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Steam only recently started working again on my PC's after fucking itself up for 2 years, so I can only support this movement! Now it finally works again, I want some decent content goddamnit!

akuchan

Trophies
XP
Country
It may still come out on steam as there's multiple games on steam which also use GFWL, it's just not using steamworks for it's multiplayer, achievements etc.

skk-depth

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I think the news title and content is very missleading. I am almost positively sure that the game is gonna be sold on Steam. It's just so that for the MP component (and as additional DRM Layer), the GFWL is gonna be used and not Steamworks. Sort of like DoW2 using GFWL and not Steamworks, but it's still being sold on Steam.

Plenty of other GFWL games are being sold on Steam (Batman Arkham Asylum/City, SFIV, Section8, GTA4 and so on) and i doubt that Dark Souls is gonna be an exception.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want to kill interest in a PC port fast, then Games For Windows Live is the service to beat. If you want people to play your PC port, then Games For Windows Live is the service to avoid like the plague.

Sylar1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"We Want Dark Souls on the PC"

"WTF why is it on GFWL, thats not good enough, we want it on on something else"

Man you guys are hard to please.

Whats so bad about GFWL

Wintrale

Trophies
XP
Country
If you want to kill interest in a PC port fast, then Games For Windows Live is the service to beat. If you want people to play your PC port, then Games For Windows Live is the service to avoid like the plague.

This would make sense if it wasn't for the petition PC gamers went out of their way to get signed. Basically, PC gamers wanted the game - so if they don't buy the game after all the effort From Software put into the new content, it's just an incentive for them to not listen to PC gamers next time they whine about wanting a game they don't have.

EyeZ

Trophies
XP
"We Want Dark Souls on the PC"

"WTF why is it on GFWL, thats not good enough, we want it on on something else"

Man you guys are hard to please.

Whats so bad about GFWL

I'll tell you my experience, i had one hella job trying to get GTA4 to work with GFWL, so much so i give up in the and i bought another copy for the PS3.

Reactions: 1 person

triassic911

Burst Mode
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
The game could be both. I bought GTA IV off steam which also includes GFWL service. I don't have a problem with GFWL myself, since you can earn achievements in most of the games. :)

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

This isn't a matter of it supporting Games for Windows Live, hell Age of Empires Online is on the same service and is available on Steam. This is purely a matter of only having one choice, there is no alternative. And Games for Windows Live is an absolutely horrible and convoluted service that doesn't have near the simplicity of the Xbox Live platform service.

Reactions: 1 person

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Petition signed. Even though Dark Souls is like 75% less fun without online, i'll pirate the game instead of buying it if they go GFWL, like pretty much every single other person thinking of buying it.

D

Deleted-188346

I would like to know WHY they chose Games for Windows Live.

Do they somehow foresee improved sales by using the service?
Did they cut some sort of deal with Microsoft? (Which is understandable, given how lonely and unpopular the service truly is.)

From what I can see, and correct me if I'm wrong, neither Namco Bandai nor From Software have any significant history with GFWL.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Fuck how did I forget Bamco produced this game?

Bahahaha no wonder. Bamco despises making money. They're completely retarded in every single regard.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FzVN9kIUNxw +1