Darkest Dungeon: Ancestral Edition coming to Nintendo Switch Retail

174c5af0-907e-46bb-a938-db1c156db975.png

Merge Games Ltd., a privately-owned video game publisher, is proud to announce it has partnered with Red Hook Studios to bring the award-winning gothic RPG, Darkest Dungeon: Ancestral Edition, to Nintendo Switch retail.

Merge Games’ Managing Director, Luke Keighran, remarked, “We are over the moon to be working with Red Hook Studios. Darkest Dungeon is a fantastic brand and working with the Red Hook team has been a joy. We believe Darkest Dungeon: Ancestral Edition will be warmly welcomed by retailers and fans alike.”
Red Hook Studios’ Co-President, Tyler Sigman, added, “Many fans have been clamouring for a physical edition of the game, and Merge Games was the right partner to help us get this done! We're thrilled for people to have the option to buy a retail box...and we're going to be keeping a few copies in our personal libraries, too!”

22a21922-75ad-4497-b14b-eb2ba055540a (1).png f6e660e3-a9e0-4a1f-be1a-bbf988295f35.png fc0566c8-da14-4c2b-b24e-68612a90c77e.png
Due for release in March 2018, Darkest Dungeon: Ancestral Edition will be available as a Nintendo Switch physical edition. Darkest Dungeon: Ancestral Edition will feature the original Darkest Dungeon game and include the two expansions, The Crimson Court and The Shieldbreaker.

Darkest Dungeon: Ancestral Edition will carry a SRP of €39.99 / £34.99 and be released in March 2018. It's also coming to PS4.

Look out for our review of the Switch version coming soon.

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
Oh boye...

I was already excited for DS1 coming to the switch, but the Dankest Dungeon? Well colour me interested.

This is a game that will be interesting if you own a Switch. Seriously, if you don't own it on Steam already, give it a check. It's a beautiful pastiche between lovecraftian horror and just plain... awesome really. I marked it as one of my GOTY's for 2017, so uh... yeah.

Reactions: Xzi and damiano2712

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
More niche games no body outside of the gaming communite heard of coming to the switch...the switch is becoming the wii 2. And not in a good way. At this rate Nintendo might as well sell to google. It seems like they are aiming to to be the apple of gaming.

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
More niche games no body outside of the gaming communite heard of coming to the switch...the switch is becoming the wii 2. And not in a good way. At this rate Nintendo might as well sell to google. It seems like they are aiming to to be the apple of gaming.
"niche games" - Buddy, Darkest Dungeon is an amazing game, being able to play it on the go is something that'd be really awesome. Here, take a look at the trailer:

It's a bloody (literally so) awesome game.

Reactions: Xzi

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont have interest in reskinned games from a mobile phone. Looks like, marvel's avengers alliance with monsterish characters replacing the heroes. idk. feels like mostly indies lately getting announced for the switch and xbox. it is either that or titles with p2w loote boxes. Not a good time to be a gamer. edit: leaving thread. dont want to be a retro :-p

Last edited by chartube12,
Reactions: Risingdawn

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They just added this game to eShop not even a month ago, now they announce this. If anyone already bought it through eShop after seeing this... FeelsBadMan. They should have just waited for this release!

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
I dont have interest in reskinned games from a mobile phone. Looks like, marvel's avengers alliance with monsterish characters replacing the heroes. idk. feels like mostly indies lately getting announced for the switch and xbox. it is either that or titles with p2w loote boxes. Not a good time to be a gamer. edit: leaving thread. dont want to be a retro :-p
It's a desktop game, and uh... it's quite different than that. It's a dark turn-based RPG set in a western setting, You never have the uptake, and it's quite literally you versus the game. You always suffer from not enough resources, stressed out heroes, diseases and all sorts of nasty things and you need to decide what you need to get by.

The Crimson Curse then adds in more required micromanagment with you not being able to cure stressed out heroes as easily. Really, it's a game I highly recommend anyone to play.

Reactions: Xzi and chartube12

Risingdawn

Tempallica
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
edit: leaving thread. dont want to be a retro :-p
You got a like from me just for that end quote ;)

But in all seriousness and with absolutely no 'fanboisms' or hostility you couldn't be more wrong about this paricular game.

Indie it may be but it contains some of the most brilliantly thought out turned based combat I have ever played. A multitude of classes, with adaptable situational abilities and synergies between party members.

The roguelite gameplay is wonderfully complimented by a progression of your hamlet, yielding replacements for dead heroes so losses are a setback not a game-ender.

Honestly, check out some reviews and watch some gameplay, it's an amazing game.

Reactions: chartube12

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You got a like from me just for that end quote ;)

But in all seriousness and with absolutely no 'fanboisms' or hostility you couldn't be more wrong about this paricular game.

Indie it may be but it contains some of the most brilliantly thought out turned based combat I have ever played. A multitude of classes, with adaptable situational abilities and synergies between party members.

The roguelite gameplay is wonderfully complimented by a progression of your hamlet, yielding replacements for dead heroes so losses are a setback not a game-ender.

Honestly, check out some reviews and watch some gameplay, it's an amazing game.

just watch'd about 2 hours of play. if anyone looks at the shop, the bundled addition says it has been available the same day has the non-bundle on switch. physical release however of the bundle comes out sometime in spring.

Risingdawn

Tempallica
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
just watch'd about 2 hours of play. if anyone looks at the shop, the bundled addition says it has been available the same day has the non-bundle on switch. physical release however of the bundle comes out sometime in spring.
Hopefully it covered lots of the classes and enemy types, did it have any high level missions; they are completely brutal, I've had to flee every one so far I'm so scared of loosing my level 5 A team members and my coach isn't upgraded enough yet to supply me with replacements that high.

Anyways the game's not for everyone, it is brutal and a bit grindy but I can't put it down.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
This game is probably harder than Dark Souls.
Definitely takes longer to complete. The "easy" mode brings it down to only ~40 hours versus closer to 80 hours to complete a normal playthrough.

DD is great, though. I wouldn't necessarily say more difficult than DS, depends on whether you're proficient in action RPGs or turn-based/party-based RPGs.

Last edited by Xzi,

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Another indie hit coming to the switch? Nice! :D

I dont have interest in reskinned games from a mobile phone.
Ah, now I understand your earlier comment (darkest dungeon was a huge indie hit in 2016). You assumed the recently released mobile port was the actual game. Well...(as I see you've already found out) it's the opposite: the mobile version is the port of the windows/OSX/linux version. The switch version will undoubtedly be based on that one rather than the devs porting a port. :P

Last edited by Taleweaver,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: