Dark Souls PC - 30FPS, locked at 1024x720

• Thread starter Deleted_171835
  • Start date
  • Views 5,827
  • Replies 31
D

Deleted_171835

OP

There have been a couple previews of Dark Souls PC and...the port isn't good...at all.

- Locked at 30 FPS
- Locked at an internal framebuffer of 1024x720

http://www.eurogamer...-devils-bargain

It's pretty much exactly like the console version except that the framerate won't drop as hard. Such a horrendous port. I mean, who the hell locks the rendering resolution?

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
I think it is locked because of how the game is originally designed on the consoles. Remember that many PS3 (and 360?) games do not use the designated resolution, but a smaller internal frame buffer for rendering, and then upscale that buffer to match the desired resolution, and this game may be no except through the porting process.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I mean, who the hell locks the rendering resolution?
Lazy devs.

Here's some excerpts from a conversation with a friend on the subject of all the lazy-ass ports coming out.

(7:12:12 AM) Rydian: Oh god, yeah. Every time I see a port of a 360 game where the graphical options are just "shadows: on or off" it makes me want to slap the developer.
(7:12:27 AM) Nala Nabridge: Yeah. That's pretty much RAGE.
(7:13:23 AM) Rydian: Resolution, aspect ratio, texture resolution, shader passes, shader features (multi-pass shadows, stencil shadows, sprite shadows, bump mapping versus actual model deformation, etc.), there's so much crap that gets locked in ports.
(7:13:52 AM) Rydian: And holy shit, have you played some of the "PC" games that don't even support changing the control scheme and assume you're playing with a 360 controller somehow? Shining examples of a lazy port.
(7:18:07 AM) Nala Nabridge: Yeah
(7:18:21 AM) Nala Nabridge: And like not even saving much time even.
(7:18:51 AM) Rydian: I mean lots of these games are using pre-made engines that support this shit to begin with... what are they doing, hardcoding responses to input bytes, bypassing the engine's input handling entirely?
(7:20:14 AM) Nala Nabridge: Hah

Reactions: 1 person

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But yeah, I've heard bad things about the PC port before. I think people are still just willing to cope with a mediocre port if it's on the console they want. Again, not an ideal situation, but as long as it's not broken, it'll still be worth playing. Just a shame it doesn't get a full treatment.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
I think it is locked because of how the game is originally designed on the consoles. Remember that many PS3 (and 360?) games do not use the designated resolution, but a smaller internal frame buffer for rendering, and then upscale that buffer to match the desired resolution, and this game may be no except through the porting process.
Well obviously. Doesn't excuse the port as they could have easily removed this lock (or sent the port off to more competent devs).

Even a competent team will find it a challenge if the original code is poorly developed. It is even possible that the game was not given consideration of having a PC counterpart during development, so anything that would have helped during development towards that would not exist. It may not be as simple as changing a couple of variables that adjust the internal frame buffer. For all we know, it is locked because it was locked on the console versions, and many effects and rendering techniques rely on that particular dimension.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love how they treated this game on PC, people had to petition just to get it on Steam...who the fuck only originally intends to sell a title via "Games for Windows" apart from Microsoft?

Still I'm not going to shit on a port until I actually see it on my own PC, I've already gone through the game itself and I wasn't all that impressed with it but I'm curious enough to pirate it. Some people like to try things themselves before condemning them.

Reactions: 1 person

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I love how they treated this game on PC, people had to petition just to get it on Steam...who the fuck only originally intends to sell a title via "Games for Windows" apart from Microsoft?

Still I'm not going to shit on a port until I actually see it on my own PC, I've already gone through the game itself and I wasn't all that impressed with it but I'm curious enough to pirate it. Some people like to try things themselves before condemning them.

Well it's being sold on Steam but all its support and stuff is run through GFWL. Still people hate GFWL and Steam is a much more popular solution when it comes to game support.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In other news, I wish Lagman posted here more often...we've even lost TrolleyDave this year.

D

Deleted_171835

OP
Well obviously. Doesn't excuse the port as they could have easily removed this lock (or sent the port off to more competent devs).
Even a competent team will find it a challenge if the original code is poorly developed. It is even possible that the game was not given consideration of having a PC counterpart during development, so anything that would have helped during development towards that would not exist. It may not be as simple as changing a couple of variables that adjust the internal frame buffer. For all we know, it is locked because it was locked on the console versions, and many effects and rendering techniques rely on that particular dimension.
Dark Souls is built on Sony's PhyreEngine. Dirt used the same engine and was a good PC port. The team that ported this already admitted that they have little to no experience with PC development so it's almost certainly the result of an incompetent PC.

That said, a shit PC port is still superior to the console versions.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys, this isn't a lazy port; it's a brilliant one!

This is Dark Souls. If some part of the game isn't making you cry out in frustration and anger, then the developers haven't done their job right!

Reactions: 7 people

AceWarhead

"Must Construct Additional Pylons"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys, this isn't a lazy port; it's a brilliant one!

This is Dark Souls. If some part of the game isn't making you cry out in frustration and anger, then the developers haven't done their job right!
Just like Ninja Gaiden,

Shuny

I'm in yr forum, reading yr postz
Trophies
Website
www.shunyweb.info
XP
Country
France

There have been a couple previews of Dark Souls PC and...the port isn't good...at all.

- Locked at 30 FPS
- Locked at an internal framebuffer of 1024x720

http://www.eurogamer...-devils-bargain

It's pretty much exactly like the console version except that the framerate won't drop as hard. Such a horrendous port. I mean, who the hell locks the rendering resolution?

As usual, it'll be fixed by editing the .exe ... It isn't about laziness, it is about caring about gamers or not. Fixed resolution, this is bullshit.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
news travel fast, anyways supposedly the native display with be 1024x720, but you can still upscale to 1920x1080p people are unsure if the game will loose quality control being unscaled like that.

also this is a proof of concept picture that is supports higher display settings, take it for whatever.

Screenshot_3.bmp.jpg

i am still going to play it as i want to try the new content, i have it for ps3 but i don't play my ps3 as much anymore so it's more convenient to have it on my pc anyway.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was thinking of buying it, but if the developers aren't going to bother maximizing the games visual potential, it's not worth even the 40 dollars they are selling it for.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyBmc3-J5AM