Always like this.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP

Posted 30 mins ago on the DSII FB page:​

The first Beta round for North America and Europe/Australasia will begin on 12th October and the second round will begin on 27th October. Check DARK SOULS™ Facebook page and PlayStation®Network Website today and get all the details about the DARK SOULS II beta. For the first time join the dark journey with this beta and experience overwhelming enemy encounters, diabolical hazards, and the unrelenting challenge that only FROMSOFTWARE can deliver.

DARK SOULS II will be launching in Europe and Australasia in March 2014 on the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, and PCs.​

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
12th October? No thanks, I'll be playing something else that day. (besides, I haven't even really tried Demon's Souls from PS+. Or was it Dark Souls?)

dgwillia

The Bacon Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Too bad it only works for EU at the moment, the moment I try to log in with my account it says "The page you have requested is not available".

Either way, wonder how they plan on picking who gets in. Is it random? Or will they likely lean toward people with lot of Demon/Dark Souls playtime?

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Too bad it only works for EU at the moment, the moment I try to log in with my account it says "The page you have requested is not available".

Either way, wonder how they plan on picking who gets in. Is it random? Or will they likely lean toward people with lot of Demon/Dark Souls playtime?
Considering it says "Network test", they likely don't care about the user's experience with the game as long as they can stress test the servers.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
12th October? No thanks, I'll be playing something else that day. (besides, I haven't even really tried Demon's Souls from PS+. Or was it Dark Souls?)

It was Demon's Souls. I tried it, not my cup of tea. I mean, it was alright, but the game gave me no direction on where to go or what to do. I can see the appeal in it, but it's definitely not for me.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
dark souls was the worst pc port ever

Yay for uneducated uninformed opinions.
The port had a couple problems that got fixed by fans in approximately a week, and that's a harsh estimate. Pretty sure it was about two days.
Not bad for a japanese company who never did games for PC before, only reason they did was because of fan outcry.

It was Demon's Souls. I tried it, not my cup of tea. I mean, it was alright, but the game gave me no direction on where to go or what to do. I can see the appeal in it, but it's definitely not for me.

Yeah it's definitely not for people used to having their hand held.
Pretty much have to bump around till you figure it out, and generally you're better for it.
Dark Souls is a bit easier in that regard. While it's more open, it's generally more obvious where you need to go.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Pretty much have to bump around till you figure it out, and generally you're better for it.
Dark Souls is a bit easier in that regard. While it's more open, it's generally more obvious where you need to go.
I mean, I really like the combat, I perfected doing the counter. I liked going through the dungeons, but after I died during the tutorial (some big monster killed me), that was it, I didn't have a clue what to do.

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
but after I died during the tutorial (some big monster killed me), that was it, I didn't have a clue what to do.

You're supposed to die at the end of the tutorial. all of the tutorial boss attacks are one hit kill, and if you succeed and defeat it you'll die anyways a few steps ahead.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know, I've heard that they're trying to make this game more broad and accessible. I trust From Software, but I'm a bit worried that we'll go from Dark Souls to Lark Souls.

Though "Lark Souls" would be an excellent name for an easy difficulty mode.

Sop

groovy dude lmao
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Yay for uneducated uninformed opinions.
The port had a couple problems that got fixed by fans in approximately a week, and that's a harsh estimate. Pretty sure it was about two days.
Not bad for a japanese company who never did games for PC before, only reason they did was because of fan outcry.

Dark Souls is pretty much unplayable without a controller. When you port a game to PC, you want it to work WITHOUT a controller, that most PC gamers don't have. And yes, I knew there were mods that fixed the problems, but did I say Dark Souls + Mods was the worst PC port ever?

Yay for not reading.

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
I don't know, I've heard that they're trying to make this game more broad and accessible. I trust From Software, but I'm a bit worried that we'll go from Dark Souls to Lark Souls.

Though "Lark Souls" would be an excellent name for an easy difficulty mode.

PREPARE TO CASUAL!!!!!!!!11!!!1!!11!!

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Dark Souls is pretty much unplayable without a controller. When you port a game to PC, you want it to work WITHOUT a controller, that most PC gamers don't have. And yes, I knew there were mods that fixed the problems, but did I say Dark Souls + Mods was the worst PC port ever?

Yay for not reading.

The controller thing?
You can edit your controls.

Yay for laziness?
Yeah the default controls sucked, but people had (widely spread, easily available and findable) configs that made mouse and keyboard quite comfortable.
and seriously, in this day and age, if you plan on PC gaming, get a gamepad.
As PC master race elistist as I am, there's no denying that no matter what you do, or how you config it, a controller is just plain better sometimes.

As for it being the worst without mods? Hardly. It was a bit uglier but the game still ran perfectly.
It wasn't jittery, stuttery, full of bugs, crashed constantly or incompatible with 99% of PCs.
You want worst port ever? Pick up Saints Row 2 and keep it stock, no mods.
Enjoy even trying to get it to load.

It wasn't a flawless port, but again, a japanese company and its first foray in the PC world. What did you expect? It ran flawlessly and matched the console version (to a fault, but still) entirely.

Apex

Trophies
XP
Country
dark souls was the worst pc port ever

/me is currently happily playing through Dark Souls on Steam for the first time without any mods.

I'm not sure what's broken about it? Also, anyone who WOULD be playing Dark Souls on Steam most likely has either a PS3 or an Xbox 360 controller. There are plenty of PC games that are virtually unplayable without a controller, I don't understand how that makes them a terrible. Besides Steam even warns you before you buy it on the store page that they strongly recommend you use a controller or some sort.

Realistically, the only real problem I see with it, is that it uses Games for Windows. Ew.

Reactions: EyeZ and Celice

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
/me is currently happily playing through Dark Souls on Steam for the first time without any mods.

I'm not sure what's broken about it? Also, anyone who WOULD be playing Dark Souls on Steam most likely has either a PS3 or an Xbox 360 controller. There are plenty of PC games that are virtually unplayable without a controller, I don't understand how that makes them a terrible. Besides Steam even warns you before you buy it on the store page that they strongly recommend you use a controller or some sort.

Realistically, the only real problem I see with it, is that it uses Games for Windows. Ew.
However, I'd really suggest you pick up DSfix, unless you have a shit rig/laptop. Unless you're natively showing, what was it, 1024x768 as your default resolution, getting that mod allows you to run the game at a much higher resolution. Otherwise vanilla game just stretches that small resolution into a blurry mess D:

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It mostly just runs at a crappy resolution and a crappy capped framerate so that more powerful rigs are like not using their max potential. Also apparently the controls are completely shit if you don't have a gamepad. And please no "Just get a gamepad it's your fault!" bull, some people like mouse and keyboard for everything and not even reasonably supporting PC controls is really just the sign of a bad port.

And yes mods fix issues but mods fix anything it seems, it still doesn't stop what was initially a bad port for being a bad port. You can polish a turd and put some make up on it but it's still a turd.

Sop

groovy dude lmao
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
The controller thing?
You can edit your controls.

Yay for laziness?
Yeah the default controls sucked, but people had (widely spread, easily available and findable) configs that made mouse and keyboard quite comfortable.
and seriously, in this day and age, if you plan on PC gaming, get a gamepad.
As PC master race elistist as I am, there's no denying that no matter what you do, or how you config it, a controller is just plain better sometimes.

As for it being the worst without mods? Hardly. It was a bit uglier but the game still ran perfectly.
It wasn't jittery, stuttery, full of bugs, crashed constantly or incompatible with 99% of PCs.
You want worst port ever? Pick up Saints Row 2 and keep it stock, no mods.
Enjoy even trying to get it to load.

It wasn't a flawless port, but again, a japanese company and its first foray in the PC world. What did you expect? It ran flawlessly and matched the console version (to a fault, but still) entirely.

I have Saints Row 2 (Steam), I got it to load without mods...?

T-hug

Always like this.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
If anyone from EU applied for this beta, check your mail.. I just got the mail 20 minutes ago to say I'm in!
Just downloading the file now really can't wait to get stuck in!

T-hug

Always like this.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: 3 hours on a riding lawn mower, my butt is numb and my whole body is still vibrating. Gonna be a... +1