Dark Souls 1 to be delisted off Steam, Dark Souls: Remastered to take its place

After delaying the Nintendo Switch version of Dark Souls: Remastered, developer From Software also made it known that the Steam/PC version of the original Dark Souls: Prepare to Die edition of the game will be removed from Steam on May 8th. The game will be entirely replaced by the new Remastered version, and you'll no longer be able to buy the original. However, if you still own the game, you'll be able to redownload it and play it indefinitely. As a bonus to PC players, they'll be getting a 50% off discount for Remastered if they own the original. Publisher Bandai Namco also gave us a trailer to show off the remaster's visual differences. Dark Souls: Remastered launches on May 25 for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC, while a Switch version will release later this summer.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
so they are basically gonna split the playerbase behind a paywall, not only did i pay for their shitty port, but now the also want to put a paywall behind a patch for the game? i mean, for fucks sake, its a PC game, it doesnt need a remaster, its just a fucking patch
This isn't just a patch, they fixed things that were hardcoded into the engine that needed to be completely reworked. Supposedly they fixed the Blighttown issues, meaning they changed how the game engine renders part of the world, and the 60fps update would require an update to the engine as well since physics were tied to the framerate (which is why you can't jump as far, or why sliding down a couple ladders used to drop you out of the world). Plus they added QOL improvements like multiple item usage and dedicated servers for multiplayer.

There's also likely legal reasons why it's not "just a patch", since the game is being remastered by Virtuos, and not From Software.

Wasn't the original DS1 PC port a dumpster fire? At least Steam will now have a properly playable version of the game for new players. Sucks that owners of the original didn't get the Remaster for free, though. Bethesda gave Skyrim: Special Edition for free to original Skyrim owners, and 2K gave the BioShock remasters for free to owners of those original games.
DSFix made the original version properly playable pretty much a week or two after the game was released on PC.

Meteor7

Guess where this thumb goes.
Trophies
a fit of spasms and accidental black magic
XP
Country
United States
Oh, well I guess that's something. But it's an unofficial fix, yeah? An official fix would be much preferred, and I guess the Remaster is that fix.
It would have a definite edge on the unofficial fix if it allowed for >60 framerates the way DSfix does, but if the remaster is locked to 60 on PC, then I'd say the original+mod would end up looking much more appealing to a large swath of players. If that's the case, when that version suddenly becomes un-purchasable, those players are likely to feel ripped off.

Last edited by Meteor7,

brunocar

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
This isn't just a patch, they fixed things that were hardcoded into the engine that needed to be completely reworked. Supposedly they fixed the Blighttown issues, meaning they changed how the game engine renders part of the world, and the 60fps update would require an update to the engine as well since physics were tied to the framerate (which is why you can't jump as far, or why sliding down a couple ladders used to drop you out of the world). Plus they added QOL improvements like multiple item usage and dedicated servers for multiplayer.

There's also likely legal reasons why it's not "just a patch", since the game is being remastered by Virtuos, and not From Software.

DSFix made the original version properly playable pretty much a week or two after the game was released on PC.
so basically its just an overhaul mod, i dont see anyone paying for those on older games, its also not like the remaster adds content, if it did i wouldnt be complaining

bi388

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean youre kinda right, but as you said the original game couldn't be run at 60 fps without the physics engine breaking, and didn't have all the qol or lighting changes. So all dsfix could do really was help when the fps dropped bellow 30 and run the game in a higher res (which would often tank the fps anyway for most pcs at the time). The original version was playable even without that, I've seen people play through the game unmodded and imo this remaster is a bigger improvement over dsfix than dsfix is over unmodded. Being able to run the game at 60 is a game changer, even though I don't see why they couldn't let you run it at higher than that (maybe there's some reason I'm unaware of but it seems arbitrary).

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It would have a definite edge on the unofficial fix if it allowed for >60 framerates the way DSfix does, but if the remaster is locked to 60 on PC, then I'd say the original+mod would end up looking much more appealing to a large swath of players. If that's the case, when that version suddenly becomes un-purchasable, those players are likely to feel ripped off.
The original with dsfix has serious issues even at 60, let alone higher. dsfix running it at high framerates is not a real option if you want to be able to jump and use ladders.

Last edited by bi388,
Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
Well now, "those players" would've already had to have bought the game to feel ripped off, so they'd permanently have the older version of DS1 in their libraries anyways. And I don't think any new player that buys the Remaster is likely to feel ripped off, considering the improvements made. Also, if the original Dark Souls can be pushed past its 30 fps cap, then I'll hold out hope that the remaster can, too. Although, I can't think of any good reason why the remaster would be locked to 60fps, so we probably have nothing to worry about.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
So they just took the old game, upped the texture resolution (something you could do with mods) and resold it at full price for pc??
I don't think so, this looks more like the engine they used for DS2/DS3. Also not full price if you read the OP, 50% off for people who own the original. Not to mention MSRP is $40 on this one, so that should come out to only $20 for PC owners. 1/3rd the price of a new AAA game.

In 20 years they will be removed.....
PC gaming has been "dying" for the last 20 years, no reason to expect it to be any different in another 20. Even if it's accessed through brainchips, Steam will live on as long as it keeps making money.

Last edited by Xzi,

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So they just took the old game, upped the texture resolution (something you could do with mods) and resold it at full price for pc??

No they took a game that was hardcapped at 30 FPS, because anything higher absolutely broke the fuck out of the games physics, fixed it, upped the resolution/textures, and are selling it for like $40 new. Oh and they overhauled the online system to work better and more like Dark Souls 3.

Do some research before looking like an idiot? It's the first google result.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte