Hacking Dangers of selling modchips?

muppers

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I already have a small online shop being set up at the moment but am wondering if there are any real dangers of selling or fitting modchips commercially? Recently since the developments with Divineo and MrModChips in particular, is it becoming a dangerous business?

Cheers in advance for any help
smile.gif

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The bigger you get the more risky it is. Having a website is a major give-away. End of last summer I think it was there were a whole string of FBI raids here in the USA on places that did modchip installs. A bunch of people got royally screwed.

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just sell the supplies for opensource modchips. So the chips themselves (non-programmed) and programmers. There's nothing they can do about that.

ArAcHnId

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
they can only come after you if you sell copied games

modchips themselfs aren't a problem
because by law you are allowed to play your own back upped games (so in fact you need a chip so
tongue.gif
)

muppers

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

ArAcHnId

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
they can only come after you if you sell copied games

modchips themselfs aren't a problem
because by law you are allowed to play your own back upped games (so in fact you need a chip so
tongue.gif
)

You would think this is the case (and it may be in Belgium) but i'm in the UK. Have a look at this: http://www.opensenses.com/discussion/mrmodchips-convicted

Seems that installing modchips, even to use them for legitimate reasons, is against the law.

"technology that enables games console users to play illegally copied DVDs and CDs – the operation netted him an estimated £1million."

if you get a lawyer, just need to have him press on the subject that the chips are only to use for playing LEGAL back ups, because then they aren't allowed to touch you, that man got convicted for selling chips that were used for illegal back ups. and yes it's quite bull, because they'll say you did it for being able to play copies, so actually, don't get caught and you wont get screwed
tongue.gif

zosh

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Papua New Guinea
just need to have him press on the subject that the chips are only to use for playing LEGAL back ups, because then they aren't allowed to touch you
It is irrelevant whether or not the copy is legitimate, circumventing the copy protection mechanism is the key point. You might want to read up on the EUCD, preferrably before you issue legal statements about what you believe is legislature.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
you could also use them to program your toaster.

Is it wrong that my first thought was towards talkie toaster there?

Back on topic aside from this recent string of raids most of the time it is usually those who sell copied games as well that get taken down (they are pretty much the low hanging fruit of this sort of thing). The main problem is big companies and the agency that is made to represent them normally can afford a $2m a year lawyer to fight their battles (which I dare say will come in civil rather than criminal court: you normally have to get your own lawyer) whereas you probably will not be able to do this.
The other problem is some of those cases that are fought can end up setting dangerous precedents/rulings which trickle backwards into the more grey areas that you are finding yourself in.

In this case your best route may be to set up something with a base of operations "being" in a different country with less strict laws: antigua just got a nice ruling to this end (although only against US interests it seems) and it has been pirate island for a while before this, Canada has not got that much in the way of copyright nonsense (for now at least), Mexico if are the other side of things is not bad either.

As for modchip installs I would not take it as a complete get around but the consoles I have seen are very often in need of repair or extra fans and other aftermarket devices to run well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte