Hacking Danganronpa 2 backporting Vita English translation to PSP (discussion)

reprep

OP
Trophies
Website
melankolisavar.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Hi there,

As we can now dump Vita games, i wanted to have a look at Vita Danganronpa 2 with the aim of backporting the English translation to PSP. Here is what i got so far:

1)There is a big DR_us.cpk file on Vita dump. It can be extracted with a .cpk unpacker, you can use this tutorial. https://github.com/s1cp/VitaGuide/wiki
2)Having a look at PSP ISO via UMDGen you can see data00.cpk and data01.cpk, both can be decrpyted with the same method above.
3)I copied back the Dr2/data/us/script folder in vita to jp/script in data01.cpk of psp.
4)Encrypted the contents back to data01.cpk again as explained in wiki above.
5)Replaced the data01.cpk in UMDGen and saved the psp iso back.
6)Here is the result, more stuff needed for backport.

]

There are some weird characters and text is cut off at the half of the screen. Need more tries.

Please mess with the files and share me what you succeeded. I would love a working english psp version.

Thanks.

EDIT: Here are some more info, thanks to @SMG0000000, we can now unpack the .pak files within the cpk files. here is the quickbms script, save it as .bms file.

get FILES long
get OFFSET long
for i = 1 <= FILES
if i == FILES
get NEXT_OFF asize
else
get NEXT_OFF long
endif
xmath SIZE "NEXT_OFF - OFFSET"
log "" OFFSET SIZE
math OFFSET = NEXT_OFF
next i

also, to see the japanese text in psp version, use wxMEdit as hex editor, choose Unicode 16 bit little Endian encoding and see the text and change it to whatever you like. I am now trying to solve the problem where some characters like "?" "," isn't displayed.

EDIT2: Question mark display is corrected, just change hex 3F 00 to 1F FF in the relevant .lin file in script directory. For comma change 2C 00 to 01 30.

EDIT3: New video added with corrected characters, still can't solve the issue where the text goes to the next line when 28 character limit is hit, i guess it is hardcoded. Need help.

EDIT4: Demonstration of the problem, on psp:
7fd922bc2a24cd8a7b2abb46351da4e8.jpg
39cda6b875f543f749f6a385f9d01659.jpg

On vita:
e31360602b70180b141b13931838270a.jpg

78631ee93e934d2e2ef8ade430da738c.jpg

EDIT5: Forgot to say, first scripts are in file e00_001_180.lin so you can view your changes instantly from there. PPSSPP debugger might help to overcome 28 char limit but i couldnt succeed.
EDIT6: Tools to extract .lin files to .txt files and vice versa. https://github.com/vn-tools/danganronpa-tools this way you can easily edit, insert stuff. I am not the author. lin_compiler -d -dr2 e00_001_180.lin e00_001_180.txt this command line should give you the first dialogues in a text file.

EDIT7: 2 links to help me edit eboot.bin to accomadate for longer strings. I couldn't succeed, maybe you can.
http://forums.fuwanovel.net/topic/11313-super-dangan-ronpa-2-psp-translation-help-needed/

https://github.com/ThunderGemios10/The-Super-Duper-Script-Editor-2

EDIT8: eboot.bin edit for longer strings done thanks to super duper script editor 2 and Mikotolli. Now, we need a way to make the font smaller. Font.pak file is located at jp/font folder in data01.cpk file for psp. Font.pak file can be extracted/reinserted with the quickbms script i linked above. I couldn't find a way to make the font size smaller though.

HELP HELP HELP, the more the merrier.

EDIT9: I am not working on this anymore. I still believe it can be done but it needs some programming knowledge, some manual hex editing, plenty of time and dedication.

Last edited by reprep,

Abu_Senpai

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
Sure, not that I can really tell you what's different. Toukiden Kiwami, Blazblue Continuum Shift Extend...

No i just was asking since if its as simple as the op states it is. Then maybe more vita games could be transalated for the psp. Obviously via moving around the JAp and Eng text

Is Danganronpa 2 backport needed? I mean, there's already a release for PC.

i played it on PC too but i prayed that it was on the psp too prior to me getting my pc. So i understand how non vita and pc users feel

There's dungeon travelers 2. Could try that one

Its on my vita backlog so ill pick it up soon. And if its got easy to decrypt files then i wouldnt mind giving it ago.

Last edited by Abu_Senpai,

Abu_Senpai

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
Nope, i dont state it is simple. I explained what i did, what are the problems i observed and i tried to encourage people to mess with the files.

It is not simple, lots of things are needed to be corrected.

sorry by simple i meant that you diddnt have to unpack much excluding the .cpks. Unless i read wrong

there are many games that have a cpk and then 3 more encrypted unheard of files which require a programmer to make tools for which is what holds back many transalations. well at least on the hacking side of things

XD

Lycan911

wolf boi
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Huh, this is interesting, subscribing to the thread to follow the progress, good luck to anyone who decides to continue the project!

Edit:

Now I'm wondering, would it be possible to do this with Steins;Gate as well?

Last edited by Lycan911,

Wuigi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think that backporting Danganronpa 1 would be also great as the Translation is a bit super-duper and I really like the English voice acting in the PS Vita release and some sh*t from Mondo would be nice to hear.

reprep

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
It seems game is hardcoded to go to the next line after 28 characters. This limit may be enough for japanese, but english text cuts off because of this limitation. I couldn't solve this issue so far.

Last edited by reprep,

Lycan911

wolf boi
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just attempted doing this with Steins;Gate, but it didn't go so well. The script files do have the same file names in both Vita and PSP versions, but they have different file extensions (.bin for PSP and .scr for Vita), so they aren't compatible. Simply changing the extension didn't work (go figure lol), and I'm not smart enough to do the fancy hacking to make it work. Here are the extracted scripts from both versions if someone wants to take a look.

Reactions: RY0M43CH1Z3N

AlexTCGPro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Just attempted doing this with Steins;Gate, but it didn't go so well. The script files do have the same file names in both Vita and PSP versions, but they have different file extensions (.bin for PSP and .scr for Vita), so they aren't compatible. Simply changing the extension didn't work (go figure lol), and I'm not smart enough to do the fancy hacking to make it work. Here are the extracted scripts from both versions if someone wants to take a look.
Maybe using a hex editor to manually combine them?

reprep

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Last edited by reprep,

MikotoIIi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Figured i'd contribute here instead of just on twitter.

Things that i've done so far:
ripped the vita script and files.
Unpacked both vita and psp files
Replaced the script, still need to run the punctuation fixes.
Installed the script editor and started trying to get the eboot.bin patched.
Got a listing of the files from both versions and found the common files. Replacing them causes bad graphic errors though.

More to come on Wed when i can get back to it.

Reactions: reprep and Lycan911

MikotoIIi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
As promised, here's an update:
I got the eboot patched this morning, and tested a little bit. I've been using my Vita version as my QC test to make sure that it's working properly
sdgrp2-1.png IMAG1138-1.jpg

One of the big things that I've found with the patch is it modifies the text in the message boxes as well. This might be fixed with the translation, or it might be because of the patch that I had to comment out in order to get the patching to run to remove the limit. Either way, I'm going to look more into the python scripts and see if I can figure out why the other patch is failing.
sdgrp2-2.png

Deleted member 401374

Trophies
XP
Country
@reprep Hello! I am the current developer of The Super Duper Script Editor 2, And may i ask why do you need to make an English translation for PSP? When the PC version is already in Steam and it's on English?

Reactions: reprep

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
@reprep Hello! I am the current developer of The Super Duper Script Editor 2, And may i ask why do you need to make an English translation for PSP? When the PC version is already in Steam and it's on English?

Welp, people who don't know Japanese and can't bring a PC with them may want the game a little bit more portable and understandable :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I hate myself